Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Age of Steel 2.8 (beta)  (Read 8047 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile

I'm maybe halfway through summer, and here are the things I've noticed:
   1. It takes weavers an unnecessarily long time to haul anything made out of wood. I guess it makes sense that it would be so heavy because it's made out of 'concrete', but it's still a pain.
   2. I'd like it if there could possibly be a bit more plant variety. I realize that having a singular 'nanite' fills the bill for the plants, but maybe you could make a few more variations to make it feel a little more fleshed out.
   3. There's nothing to fish. Maybe some fish like robots? Or even some cute little crabs outfitted with surveillance gear?
   4. For the fish you did leave, it seems a bit odd that they seem to be the only source of leather. If anything, I'd think that the ocean would have been overfished and polluted to oblivion. But there is plenty of opportunity for aquatic mechs and automated nuclear submarines. As for leather, I think it would make more sense to have some animotronic like robots with an almost skin like synthetic covering that can be dried like leather.
   5. I will admit, you did a really good job in setting the mood of the surface. The concrete 'grass', the big mess of spindly wires growing from the ground, and It was actually pretty funny to see the solar panels. Maybe instead of having the solar panels be domed as they are you could make them completely flat on top? That's just a really nit picky thing, but there is definitely a lot of room for thematically fitting 'plants' that would make the surface even cooler than it already is.
   6. There's currently a lot of problems with sentient egg layers in fortress mode right now, including the egg layers eating their own eggs. That might be a more lore problem, because it can be avoided with some meticulous watching of the nest boxes. For a race that is completely based on egg laying, I will say it is a bit annoying to have unmarried females. I don't actually know if it would help, but maybe you could increase the value of romance to the civ and see if that increases marriages?
   7. I don't know how many wild animals you have, but so far I've only seen ironflies and cars with hands. Maybe you could give that one a bit more graceful of a name, like 'Model 5x transportation unit' or something more official sounding.

I haven't encountered any actual gameplay problems yet, but I definitely like how its going so far. Great mod

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm maybe halfway through summer, and here are the things I've noticed:
   1. It takes weavers an unnecessarily long time to haul anything made out of wood. I guess it makes sense that it would be so heavy because it's made out of 'concrete', but it's still a pain.
   2. I'd like it if there could possibly be a bit more plant variety. I realize that having a singular 'nanite' fills the bill for the plants, but maybe you could make a few more variations to make it feel a little more fleshed out.
   3. There's nothing to fish. Maybe some fish like robots? Or even some cute little crabs outfitted with surveillance gear?
   4. For the fish you did leave, it seems a bit odd that they seem to be the only source of leather. If anything, I'd think that the ocean would have been overfished and polluted to oblivion. But there is plenty of opportunity for aquatic mechs and automated nuclear submarines. As for leather, I think it would make more sense to have some animotronic like robots with an almost skin like synthetic covering that can be dried like leather.
   5. I will admit, you did a really good job in setting the mood of the surface. The concrete 'grass', the big mess of spindly wires growing from the ground, and It was actually pretty funny to see the solar panels. Maybe instead of having the solar panels be domed as they are you could make them completely flat on top? That's just a really nit picky thing, but there is definitely a lot of room for thematically fitting 'plants' that would make the surface even cooler than it already is.
   6. There's currently a lot of problems with sentient egg layers in fortress mode right now, including the egg layers eating their own eggs. That might be a more lore problem, because it can be avoided with some meticulous watching of the nest boxes. For a race that is completely based on egg laying, I will say it is a bit annoying to have unmarried females. I don't actually know if it would help, but maybe you could increase the value of romance to the civ and see if that increases marriages?
   7. I don't know how many wild animals you have, but so far I've only seen ironflies and cars with hands. Maybe you could give that one a bit more graceful of a name, like 'Model 5x transportation unit' or something more official sounding.

I haven't encountered any actual gameplay problems yet, but I definitely like how its going so far. Great mod

1. Weavers are one of the smallest playable races so there's no getting around that one unfortunately. Unless you make hauling a labor exclusive to females, since they are bigger. Actually, I think I might make a slave race for the Weavers, like trolls are to goblins, that can haul things.
2. There could stand to be a bit more, yeah. Currently there are mundane nanites, recovery nanites that can increase healing speed and protect against mindhacking, oil pods which are edible, and special regenerative nanites found only in good biomes, which can be consumed to regrow one's limbs but probably needs a lot of micromanaging to work in fort mode.
3. There should be some fish like mussels and such, along with bottomfeeders of various types.
4. Sentient beings ought to be another source of leather. But overall my idea was that only muck-dwelling bottom feeders and a few other forms of life survived the collapse. I could totally throw in giant rats though. Synthetic skin also sounds doable, will test that.
5. I'm glad the atmosphere is working for you, people do seem to like that. I might revisit solar panels though, yeah. I'm not sure how to create flat mushroom caps either but I'll figure it out maybe if its possible.
6. This issue can be fixed a little by forbidding eggs as a cookable item I think, in the Z menu. But otherwise yeah, it might be a good idea to have a lot of prepared meals on hand to keep them from eating the eggs. I'll look into the romance stuff as well.
6. There are 20+ creatures in the mod, so I don't know why there's so little species variety in your area. On that note cars with hands are supposed to be mildly unnerving night creatures, like Stephen King's Christine, so I don't know why they are acting like normal animals.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, now I'm just confused. One of my weavers is hauling 5 prepared ocean sunfish brain at about the same speed that another weaver is carrying a log of concrete. A slave race for hauling would definitely be appreciated. I can also agree with the idea of only bottom dwellers remaining in the sea, but maybe a little more of a look can be made into that. Ocean sunfish are about as open ocean as you can get, and are actively hunted for their meat. Just because I genuinely enjoy bottom feeders in general, I made a list of more muck dwelling, bottom of the bottom feeders that would be likely to survive over fishing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or you can come up with your own much fish, but I think it would be really cool to have giant isopods crawling around the ocean picking at the remains of all the bigger fish that died and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. It also wouldn't be too far off the mark to either make the bottom dwellers mutated from the residual radiation that inevitably settles in the deep, or have some of them augmented to make it look like the humans made an effort at one point to restock the ocean. And unfortunately, even if you restrict eggs from cooking they'll still be gathered from a nest box but no one will eat them. Every single body of water is devoid of fish-able creatures, but that might just be my area. And the cars with hands are acting like normal creatures, they walk around and occasionally bump into a weaver. When they do both run off scared at roughly the speed of light.
Edit: Also, maybe you could make weaver females a capital C? I think it would help to show exactly how much of a size difference there is, and so I don't have to actually check the gender of each individual.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:31:10 pm by MottledPetrel »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, now I'm just confused. One of my weavers is hauling 5 prepared ocean sunfish brain at about the same speed that another weaver is carrying a log of concrete. A slave race for hauling would definitely be appreciated. I can also agree with the idea of only bottom dwellers remaining in the sea, but maybe a little more of a look can be made into that. Ocean sunfish are about as open ocean as you can get, and are actively hunted for their meat. Just because I genuinely enjoy bottom feeders in general, I made a list of more muck dwelling, bottom of the bottom feeders that would be likely to survive over fishing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or you can come up with your own much fish, but I think it would be really cool to have giant isopods crawling around the ocean picking at the remains of all the bigger fish that died and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. It also wouldn't be too far off the mark to either make the bottom dwellers mutated from the residual radiation that inevitably settles in the deep, or have some of them augmented to make it look like the humans made an effort at one point to restock the ocean. And unfortunately, even if you restrict eggs from cooking they'll still be gathered from a nest box but no one will eat them. Every single body of water is devoid of fish-able creatures, but that might just be my area. And the cars with hands are acting like normal creatures, they walk around and occasionally bump into a weaver. When they do both run off scared at roughly the speed of light.

Weaver females are four times as big as the males, that might play a part in the differences with hauling. As for sunfish, they may not be bottomfeeders but survive not through any trait save for the billions upon billions of eggs they can produce. I figured sunfish would survive simply though sheer numbers. I will think about more fish as well. As for nest box issues and eggs, try forbidding eggs from being put in food stockpiles at all. Regarding your problem with fishing, that does not seem to be related to my mod as I can fish just fine in many locations, so it must just be your area. Cars with hands are very fast and should be doing nightcreature things, not wandering around, so I will have to fix that.

EDIT: I'll make weaver females a capital c though, yeah.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, is it intentional that you didn't give the weavers the ability to smelt bituminous coal or lignite coal into coke?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:43:40 pm by MottledPetrel »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, is it intentional that you didn't give the weavers the ability to smelt bituminous coal or lignite coal into coke?

That should not be happening no. I'll fix that in the next update.

EDIT: Next update is out and it is fixed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:13:37 pm by squamous »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.07] Dwarf Fortress: The Age of Steel 2.5 (beta)
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:22 pm »

Bumping because I'm back to work on this mod.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.07] Dwarf Fortress: The Age of Steel 2.6 (beta)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 05:23:36 am »

Weavers also can't make pig iron, it seems.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.07] Dwarf Fortress: The Age of Steel 2.6 (beta)
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:17 am »

Weavers also can't make pig iron, it seems.

That is odd, I will rectify it. On the other hand, they should be focusing on manufacturing quicksilver. The tech tree for making quicksilver works exactly as intended as the MO of nanomachine life is to convert all metal into nanomass and refine it into quicksilver if necessary.

It goes like this

1. Build nanomachine refinery
2. Convert all metal bars into nanopaste (which is edible)
3. Convert nanopaste into nanomass (solid block of nanomachines)
4. Convert nanomass into quicksilver (refined and advanced nanomachine colony)

This should give you plenty of metal to work with if you have a decent mining industry set up or have brought along pet machines that produce metal materials.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.08] Dwarf Fortress: The Age of Steel 2.7 (beta)
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 04:19:55 am »

bump for new version release

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 05:31:53 am »

Wow, I didn't know you could even make custom vehicles, or even anything close to that for that matter. I do approve of the changes made to the weaver civ, it seems to have helped my aforementioned issues. Also, feral roombas are a pretty funny concept, I have no idea if you can actually make them clean but if you wanted to make a super-intelligent roomba that acted like the kabuto but somehow made it so that they have a preference for cleaning instead of hauling that would be pretty cool, because it seems like as a collection of super advanced sentient robots we would be able to do a little bit more for ourselves than just handing a broom around when the fort is covered contaminants.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 05:41:02 am »

Wow, I didn't know you could even make custom vehicles, or even anything close to that for that matter. I do approve of the changes made to the weaver civ, it seems to have helped my aforementioned issues. Also, feral roombas are a pretty funny concept, I have no idea if you can actually make them clean but if you wanted to make a super-intelligent roomba that acted like the kabuto but somehow made it so that they have a preference for cleaning instead of hauling that would be pretty cool, because it seems like as a collection of super advanced sentient robots we would be able to do a little bit more for ourselves than just handing a broom around when the fort is covered contaminants.

Unfortunately I dunno if there is a way to clean things up like that, but I see your point. Anyhow, the setting is actually somewhat anachronistic in terms of technology. The majority of high technology that has been preserved is either things that were carefully handed down over generations or self-perpetuating machines that can reproduce without instructions. That is, super advanced machines can make more of themselves, but they're unlikely to be able to build a working supercomputer because beyond self-replication they lack many important technological and scientific innovations in the current era. Now if they could find a sentient supercomputer that made more of itself, that'd be another matter entirely.
Pages: 1 [2]