Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SCHOOLS OF MAGIC - a D&D inspired magic mod  (Read 12037 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
SCHOOLS OF MAGIC - a D&D inspired magic mod
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:44 pm »

EDIT: The information here is not accurate, several spells, bugfixes, and plan changes have occured since release, and thus many of the features written here as planned are no longer going to happen. Check the download page or the forum below for details.

Schools of Magic is a mod that adds in 45 new spells, as well as several megabeasts and a new semi-megabeast. Previous DF magic mods add new classes like Wizards and Dark Sorcerers, but Schools of Magic adds each spell seperately - Druids have to learn each new Druid spell seperately, instead of getting all of them as soon as they read the slab containing the secrets of nature. So far, there are 30 Druid spells, as well as 5 Arcane, Holy and Unholy spells. New spells will be added soon, as well as new megabeasts, enchantment, and a whole slew of new monsters. And thats just what I have planned so far! Thanks to the Dark Ages: War and Mythos mod, as well as the Masterwork DF mod - they both provided good reference material for interactions, and i directly used a couple of their spells - and almost ALL of the new megabeasts are ripped from Masterwork.

Each new category of magic has some new lore to surround it, and several updates are planned:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a BETA version, and has a few glitches that have not been resolved- in particular, i need to fix a worldgen glitch with wizards, but worry not, they (so far) are fine in adventure/fortress mode. Elves and goblins are able to use the new types of magic as well, so if you want to be a Goblin Warlock/Elf Druid, you can do that. As you can see, a good deal of the stuff on the list is not added yet, the download page features most of what is. Holy magic and Unholy magic are not yet mutually exclusive, and the Psionic castes won't be added until Holy, Unholy, and Arcane magic have at LEAST 10 to 15 spells each. Any glitches or errors you find should be reported on this thread, as well as any questions. ENJOY!

The file can be downloaded here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12695
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:30:46 pm by skelepound »
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCHOOLS OF MAGIC - a D&D inspired magic mod
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »

Begun work on adding new Warlock and Cleric spells - also looking for new megabeasts to improve Arcane Magic. Also putting up a poll - do you think Wizards should have towers? When i fix the worldgen Wizard, he won't make towers anymore - because he won't have 50 Hydras doing his bidding - and if you think there should still be Wizard towers, I will have to give Wizards an additional spell - one that summons a basic laborer, something like a Homunculus. But this would mean that spellbooks no longer only teach one spell - which is the main thing that differentiates this magic mod from the others. So tell me what you think!
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:21 am »

Well, the Spellbeast is officially a problem; it seems that, in the current version, it makes world gen LOSE. ITS. MIND. We end up with giant coyotes as megabeasts and "creatures" that have NO descriptive traits. They are just called "creatures". So have to do some work on those - i might have to remove them entirely, but if I do, im going to need a new way to make magic more prevalent. But as it is, the spellbeasts have got to go. Maybe add in Sorcerers, who know all the spells, and can teach them to apprentices. I dont know, but ill figure something out.

Next update should either just remove the Spellbeasts or replace them, as well as add a few new spells. If at all possible it should be out tomorrow.
GENERATION 28:

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:41:50 am »

You mind making a version for us 32 bit users?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:07:35 pm »

UPDATE COMING DOWN! This should fix all y'alls worldgen errors. Also, clerics are now immortal - they were dying off too easily, so now im just going to make it so that old age cannot take a servant of light and justice.

You mind making a version for us 32 bit users?

I don't know how i would go about doing that - if you tell me, or if  I can find out on my own, that shouldn't be an issue!

im hunting for some new megabeasts to use in my next update - i might have to make some myself! Once I have 5 new one - one way or another, update 0.92 should include 5 new wizards types, and I can leave wizardry alone till AFTER version 1.0 is done.
GENERATION 28:

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:08:35 pm »

Ask the Modding threads.

Maybe they can help.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »

There is no difference between 32 and 64 bit raws.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:28 pm »

well, thats good to know - Asin, is there anything else that would prevent you from giving it a try?
GENERATION 28:

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 01:27:02 pm »

I have a 32 bit machine.

I click on it, and the exe says not compatable.

Also, it says no fmodd thing when I put in a 32 bit replacement .exe.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 01:47:43 pm »

what you need to do is copy all of the text files in the RAWS section - and the folders in there too - and put it in where the raws for the 32 bit version are. Make a copy of your main DF folder - so you can still play vanilla - and replace all of the files in the new RAW folder with those of the Schools of Magic raw folder.
GENERATION 28:

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:34 pm »

Why not just upload the raw and data folders, instead of the whole game?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:33 pm »

Further considerations of the wizard after more playtesting: its getting a re-vamp. Next release will include more spells for him - and maybe warlock too - but the spells will no longer be summoning spells - wizards spells will cause them to shapeshift, taking on the form of a powerful monster temporarily. And they will be able to summon weak allies called Homunculi, which will basically be slaves who build towers for them. Similar allies, called Celestial Servants and Doomed Thralls, will be given to Clerics and Warlocks - because f*** it, everyone gets a tower. Maybe now Clerics won't be dead before anyone can learn white magic from them, huh?

Why not just upload the raw and data folders, instead of the whole game?

I prefer it this way. Thats really all there is to it. Just my preference. Sry if it incoveniences you too much, tho.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 12:02:00 am »

Well, next update might be sooner than i thought! A few luckily spotted resources and some tinkerinng has let me finish up a new batch of Warlock spells, and I have some ideas of new Wizard and Cleric spells - so we might just be lookin at some improvement on THAT front in a day or two! Just a matter of moving RAWS, making changes, and writing in a few fresh ones for the Cleric. However, I think i might not go for the Psion being a type of spellcaster after all - wizards are shapeshifters, druids can summon, clerics have healing and support magic, and warlocks have offense spells - but I cannot see any real theme to psionic magic. So the Flight spell is being moved to Cleric, and Psionic Assualt and Fireball are new Warlock spells. But yeah, with a little luck - and if im not feeling too lazy - tomorrow could bring 15 new spells. And if things go REAL well, i might to the full version 1.0 update, and add the first Enchanted Weapons - the Dragon killer and Wyvernkiller type weapons, which will make megabeast hunting much easier... if you can actually get ahold of these rare and mighty weapons.

Also, a big thanks to everyone who downloaded this mod so far, and to the makers of Dark Ages: War and Mythos and Masterwork - these have been great resources to make sure that my RAWS will work - and in some cases, i just outright took effects, tweaked em a bit, and used em for a spell. So big ups to those guys, makes my job much easier. (but not effortless - making all 30 Druid spells, even tho they very similar, was a massive PAIN!) Anyhow, thats all - any other ideas y'all have, or errors you get, just pass em to me here.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 07:46:36 pm »

ANOTHER UPDATE! 5 new megabeasts - from Masterwork of course - which are used in 5 new wizard spells! Wizards now transform into creatures rather than summon them, but can also summon very weak Puppets to build their towers for them. There are also 5 new Cleric spells, and 5 new Warlock spells! Havent given warlocks or clerics summons yet to build towers, but i will soon. After this, i only need to focus on adding new magical metals such as Dragonsteel, and making Spellbeasts carry them, so that when you kill one, you're guarunteed to get a magical weapon! That update will be the OFFICIAL version 1.0, featuring magic weapons, towers for ALL magic users, and a grand total of 60 spells!!! I won't stop here; new wizard types will come in later versions, new monster types, new spells for warlocks, clerics, and maybe even some more stuff for druids eventually. but version 0.95 is being uploaded RIGHT NOW!
GENERATION 28:

Borzoi

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:long snouts]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 04:16:50 pm »

Is there a way to restrict certain secrets from specific races? For example, if I didn't want goblins to be able to learn holy magic. This is just for my own purposes only, if I install this mod with some others, not a suggestion for the original mod.
Pages: [1] 2 3