Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SCHOOLS OF MAGIC - a D&D inspired magic mod  (Read 12144 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: SCHOOLS OF MAGIC - a D&D inspired magic mod
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 04:30:16 pm »

Yes you can - if you put not mortal on, neither elves nor goblins will use it. Also if you make up or re-purpose other tags, i believe you can set that up. I had to specially enable the stuff so goblins and elves could be spellcasters at all.

Also, new poll going up: for Fortress Mode, after i finish adding enchanted metals, im thinking of enableing all races and adding a new workshop to each:

A shrine that makes Humans learn holy magics.
A laboatory that lets Dwarves become Technomancers(a type of wizard)
A Spirit Circle that lets Elves learn Druid magic
And a Demonic Altar that lets Goblins create Warlocks.

So tell me watcha think!
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 02:55:21 pm »

well, only a couple voters so far - but its pretty clear what you people want! The magical shrines and altars will be added, and other races will be made playable, so as to let you access these new stations yourselves! But first, i need to finish up the new magical metals, and add in the weapons to go with them - im likely going to give a special weapon for each metal type, like a Giantkiller Copper Warhammer, and a Manticoreslayer Silver Whip. And (maybe not in this update, but soon!) i will also probably make each metal smeltable and re-forgeable in the Smithy, so taking your gear back to a fortress to have it re-forged into a special weapon just for YOU! Like, for example, making a Manticoreslayer Silver Mace, because u got Professional Macedwarf,  or going to have Manticoreslayer Silver Crossbow bolts made. Might also add magical wooden staffs - and though more-or-less useless against ordinary enemies, it would be VERY good vs. manticores. Tell me watcha think!
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 04:06:23 pm »

cool!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »

Thanks! I wish i could give magic staves cooler abilities, buuuuut for that i need DFHack. sigh.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »

Well, the new metals have been coded in - all of them based on silver, and about as effective as it is against ordinary creatures. However, it has a 10X material force value vs. the creature it is named for - so these "magical" weapons will make Megabeast hunting far easier. Once I add it some characters who will carry these magical new metals, we will be releasing... (drum roll)....... VERSION 1.0!!!!!

After this, the mod will include all of the most basic things i wanted it to, and i can continue work on it at a more leisurely pace. Magical woods and staves are not included in this update - i still want to see if i can make something better than a stick what hurts dragons a bunch.

(edit: forgot to mention, but ill also hold off adding any new spells/megabeasts/creatures until fortress mode workshops are added.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:04:18 pm by skelepound »
GENERATION 28:

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »

A Spirit Circle that lets Elves learn Druid magic

Hurray, pls do this. I would love mod with reasonably playable elves in fortress mode.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 01:23:10 pm »

I got someone to help me on that front - chances are elves will be able to summon wolves using the corpses of fallen enemies. Or satyrs. Theres like 30 druid spells, and ive only ruled out Summon Roc so far. Also, if i add in magical woods, they will be available from magic trees in evil or good regions - and though they ideally will only be usable for crafting staves, this means Elves might have better weapons - im thinking of making magic staves at least the equal of copper or silver for blunt weapon damage, with a 20X bonus effect against a specific megabeast, i.e. doing 20X damage vs. dragons. The metals are coded in, and i believe the monster weaknesses have been added, but i want to make the main source of magic equipment drops from special monsters. So i'm still working on an appropriate semi-mega to do this.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:54 pm »

OKAY, the new semi-mega should be done soon, just a bit of a debug - anyhow, because it appears impossible to make the creatures wield weapons from worldgen, im probably going to make these new metals mineable instead - it'll be alot easier, and by upping the values of the materials, it won't be too easy to buy, either. So Dorfs are bound to have magic weapons for sale soon - which works out. With luck i might have it out tommorow. SO, in other news, 10% of voters say they want more spells - the workshops will probs come first, as will the addition of summons for clerics aand warlocks. But, moving on - what kind of spells to you want me to add? Warlock, Cleric, Wizard - do you actually think DRUIDS need new spellls? Gimme some specifics, and i can prioritize.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 08:38:25 pm »

I am currently exhausted from personal stuff - just so you know, i simply do not have the energy to finish and upload tonight, but i will try and do so TOMORROW. If nothing else i'll upload the version with the metals added, but unobtainble in the game because i havent coded a source yet - a sort of v0.99. Im really, really tired right now, so sorry to anyone who is actually following this.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »

LE UPDATE IS HERE.

I have been extremely busy of late, but i found some time to throw in a way for the metals to be obtained - you can now get magical silvers from a type of stone called Magicite. Mostly you will get Silver, but once in a while, a smelted piece of Magicite will yield a Magical Silver, such as Dragonslayer Silver. You can make a cup out of it if you like, but it is best used to create a magical weapon which will beat the hell out of a dragon. Technically, throwing a Dragonslayer Silver Goblet at a Dragon will hurt it pretty bad, tho.

Now that we are at version 1.0, i can focus on the really fun stuff - thinking up more spells, adding in workshops(which my friend bleep_bloop is working on I believe), and eventually adding in new magical creature types, like Infernal Tigers, and creating weapons with which to fight them. In other news, i will be able to devote more time to the Forest World mod, the first of the new Techfortress Projects. So thats nice. And I will continue to post ideas that i think are cool and dont have time for all over the forums. So theres that. Anyhow, anything you want to suggest from this point forward, things are alot free-er now that version 1 is complete.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:57 am »

Update 1.01 should be done in the morning - a minor thing really, it lets Warlocks and Clerics build towers via exceptionally weak summoned creatures in the same way as the Wizard - stat wise, in fact,  they are identical. Would have done today, but otherwise occupied. Anyhow, this should make Clerics and Warlocks easier to find in Adventure mode when you decide to seek out the powers of magic - up until this point its been a massive pain to find any, lotta exploring of towns and referencing Legends files to fiind even ONE. After that i might find/make a few new megabeasts to add into the game for adventurers to kill/wizards to shapeshift into. Also, once the normal Clerics and Warlocks have towers, i might make a couple new variants. Archclerics and Archwarlocks(as they are tentatively called) will be the answer to the problem of "what new spells can i add for these bros which doesnt break the current formula of magic progression in the game?" They will have CLEARLY stronger versions of spells, i.e. Sigil of Mass Recovery and Firestorm, for example, and both Archclerics and Archwarlocks will have REALLY nice stat boosts - however, they will not build towers. And their powers will be spead through drinking blood(if I make it via writting books and these fools dont write no books, the brave adventurer who spent days traveling in search of Archwarlock Urist McFirestorm will be deeply disappointed!) They MAY also write books - i dunno yet.

The next update will not have an accompanying post here, so just keep ur eyes peeled! And if anyone can suggest ideas for Archwizards, that would rock! I feel that its pretty hard to top "you can turn into a Frost Wyrm and rain freezing death on all fools who would oppose you!"
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »

Sry for the delay - 1.01 is out now, and clerics and warlocks now build towers. Iwouldnt have added a new post, but its a bit later than i said i would. Anyhow, cleric and warlocks towers should make it easier to learn holy and unholy magic.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:01 pm »

OK, new poll: I been thinking about Evil Cloud and Mist interactions, and i recently had an idea: adding in new types that are not Evil, but instead, are Sphere aligned. In worldgen they would be called evil biomes, and evil biome creatures like Foul Blendecs would still spawn unfortunately, but instead of clouds that create undead Husks, what if there was a Fire biome that had unique fire based plants and turned creatures into Fire elementals, or a wealth based one where everything - including grass and creatures - was made of Gold - or a Knowledge biome where creatures that can pass on secrets roam. Just an idea, buuuuut it could be neat.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »

Well, i've thought it over, and i've decided that the Sphere biomes will proly get put on hold. When I do release them, they will come with sphere-based weaponry, and i may create a new type of spellcaster - an Alchemist. Basically, they can come from any Sphere, and will be effective against said sphere - a Alchemist of Wealth will be able to create a whip that is especially effective against Wealth creatures such as Gold Golems, Alchemist of Chaos will be able to make whips that harms beasts of Chaos - in the lore of the game, they are moral lords of said Sphere, and as they have been made lords of Chaos or Flame or Nature or whatever, all creatures of said type are their servants. The whips can, of course, be melted down, and you will be able to re-forge them into a new weapon that can kill creatures with Spheres. But for now, i have other concerns.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:06 am »

Its been a little while, but unfortunately, very little progress on next update - however, i have decided what it will be - a Spellsword. A Spellsword is much the same as someone who wields a magical weapon, but with one major difference - it affects a race rather than a megabeast. Four new types im working on, and the spell will allow you to transform a single item into a magical Spellblade(possibly temporarily). There are four types planned, obviously -  Goblinslayer Spellswords, Elfbane Spellswords, Manhunter Spellswords, and Dwarfkiller Spellswords. They will be created by gods of War, and also by gods or god-like beings associated with the race - Nature for Elves, Mountains(or Fortresses) for Dorfs, Wealth or Commerce for Humans, and Cruelty for Goblins. Spellswords also will have unlimited stamina, and as their spells involve turning one item into another, it will be classed as Arcane magic. If possible, the item will revert after an amount of time equal to the cooldown of the spell - and it will ALWAYS take the form of a sword. Since it has a cooldown, there will be no way to re-forge a Spellblade weapon as a warhammer, or mace, or spear. So keep in mind if you want to be a Spellsword, you have to be a spellSWORD. Also, and this may come later, i am considering a Death Knight character who will be a spellblade attuned to Death, rather than War or the appropriate species. Death Knight Spellblades will be made of Dark Steel, which will be sharper or heavier than normal steel, and more powerful as a result. However, it has no creature that is weak to it. To make up for this, Death Knights have several Necromancer perks - non-living, no stamina drain, no need for food or water, and no aging. This means they will be safe from zombies and other similar night creatures, but will still be vulnerable to status effects such as nausea. And he will need sleep. And Death Knights will be able to learn all spells, as death magic does not currently have any effect on other magic types - but since Spellswords are Arcane, any future spellcaster who is limited from Arcane Magic will be unable to cast Spellblade spells as well. There will also be varying "tiers" of Spellswords - tier 1 will be a Wooden Spellsword, wheras tier 5 will be Steel. Also, Holy and Unholy spell limits are coming as soon as possible. Sry for the delay, anyone who actually follows this mod!
GENERATION 28:
Pages: 1 [2] 3