Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)  (Read 47814 times)

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2017, 06:32:34 am »

Okay, quick update: I most likely won't be able to post today, I'll try to get an update in by friday or at the very latest saturday. Terribly sorry, real life sucks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »

As long as you're posting at all we'll be satisfied. I also give you permission to change Flame's preferences if you know how.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry Seven: About The Wereskinks

I think that this might be our new time measurement system.
In fact, on that note, We should probably get some system in to feed to werecreatures.

After asking about it turns out one of them was a former captain of the militia.
You know what? This is it, everyone here seems to be in some sort of state of depressed isolation or desensitization. I decided to raise morale when I started, and it’s high time I started.
The first priority is to feed the chinchillas (or skinks, whatever.) Get them some furniture too.
Mabey a nice few statues, some be-

ShitShitShitShitShitShitShitShit!
Okay...Close the gate!

Okay, not enough time to pull the gate, Voidgod Activate!
Why is he still training? Why is he still training? WHY ARE THERE FOOTSTE-

(sidenote, that is one badass cook)

Overseer’s Log Entry Eight: Revival
I’m alive.
I. Am. Alive.
I shouldn't be alive.
I don’t remember what actually happened once the beast arrived, One second i was down there smithing, the next i was locked in a room with no entrance or exit. I’m hoping that I’m alive, I can hear voices outside.

I’m in a room, there’s some grass, so i can assume I’m above the surface.
I’m hungry, and tired, so I’m probably not dead.
I hope.

Overseer’s Log Entry Nine: Oh.
Well, I believe I’ve found out where I am, and possibly who I am now.
I’m in the werechinchilla enclosure.
In hindsight, it would have been rather easy to find this out using deductive reasoning, but no changing that now.
Apparently I’m a werechinchilla now.
At least some things about the nature of this fort have been cleared up.

OCC UPDATE: So a beast arrived, I tried to get someone to pull the lever, but they got there literally a second too late and trapped it in. I tried mobilizing the Voidsquad, but I’m guessing that I fucked up somewhere along the line because they kept right on training. The thing got down to the metalworking area and donked up the majority of our smiths. I’m kinda regretting making Tulon a smith now.
While Tulon II (First of many) was having his little reincarnation adventure I traded gems for iron and steel, worked on an airlock/burrow system to feed the werebeasts, got some coffins queued up and buried the dead, and stopped construction of the tower temporarily since no one knows how to use a wheelbarrow on stairs. No named dwarves died, and from the looks of it the poisonous gas was either really effective, or really shit.
I would just like to apologize officially for fucking up like that, there was probably some super simple way to kill it that I completely forgot.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2017, 05:41:36 pm »

The game's no fun without death! It could have been worse.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2017, 06:32:44 pm »

Thanks, Any idea where I went wrong?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2017, 07:12:40 pm »

Stick the levers closer to the meeting zones or automatically burrow everyone as soon as anything bad shows up. Other than that, you did everything you could.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »

Well, werebeasts don't need to eat, though a lever or track stop to admire or an amulet to put on might be  good idea.

Ice FB? Well not that dangerous, send a doggo or something.

And hahahaha. Inattentive military, dead overseer.

That's an interesting direction.

And you really should go fix that ordering problem you have. Remove barracks or sth to stop the training.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry Nine: Waiting

(Something Funny I Found)

Days Turn Into Weeks, Weeks Into...Weeks? I don’t think I’ve been here that long yet.
Either way, I’ve got some time to kill.
I’ve been thinking about my dreams, my memories, all that's happened.
I hear work outside, I can only hope that my orders were carried out after my “Death” and that I’ll receive some booze soon. Or a chair, or a floor, or anything whatsoever.

(So, since Tulon has very little to do until I finish the airlock, [bad thinking on my part, but I didn’t want to put him in a position where he’d die again and Werebeast seemed like a way to keep ‘em safe] I’ll be doing a sidetrack: Warbluke’s Log Of Stuff That Happens!
First order of business? Satisfy the voidgod by giving him the overseer’s quarters.
Second Order? Finish the airlocks.

Alright, I traded for some steel and iron, not too bad.
Alright, the voidgod now has his room finished, I was looking forwards to giving it to Tulon, but it’ll serve our dark friend well.

Sweet, I did nothing since i was busy with the beast, but this little dude kept right on going without any assistance.

Okay, what's it like?

So that's how he became liaison.
This scribe knows his current events.
Also, lets just take a moment to laugh at these stupid book names.

Alright, so now that that's over, I’ll keep up construction on the Werelocks {patent pending} as well as making sure all the dead are buried.<There were some minor ghost uprising that were put down swiftly.> Not much has been happening so far, I'll post if something noteworthy arrives. Alright, see ya next update when I’ll probably start writing IC again.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2017, 10:54:42 am »

That's actually a pretty nice cup.

Hm. Since you gave voidgod previously smoothed overseer quarters, I assume he must have been sleeping on the floor beforehand?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2017, 12:50:27 pm »

Holy **** an active Deathgate thread. I'm sorely tempted to take a turn, although I've impact cratered the last few fortresses I've played. Then again, DG is where I got my first sig ...

I'd be sorely tempted to bring my dwarf over from the original DG (who canonically left DG on a quest to slay the llama demon that ruled the humans), and then tried to take whoever she could to escape the final taint of that place.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »

Holy **** an active Deathgate thread. I'm sorely tempted to take a turn, although I've impact cratered the last few fortresses I've played. Then again, DG is where I got my first sig ...
Do it, it'll be funny.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2017, 06:12:04 pm »

Okay, last few updates incoming. I think I'll finish at the begging of spring.
I might take another when I have more free time.
 It's been quite fun for me so far, I hope you guys have enjoyed it too.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:36 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry Ten: Operations Resume
Today I heard a great commotion outside, after a few seconds, the bricks holding me in were removed and I greeted the worker. After a quick explanation of my current situation he still seemed rather unfazed, informing me in a monotone voice that I still need to complete my term as overseer, and a small quarters has been erected for my convenience. Once i put on some clothes and had a quick drink, I got down to business.

Looks like I’m in the final stages of my term anyways, this shouldn't be too ha-

Right on time.
Lovely.

Okay, it’s not voidspawn, At least it’s not voidspawn.
Pull The Lever! (The one that saves us)

Well, at least they pulled it this time. I suppose this may be partially my fault…
Pull the secondary lever! (That also saves us)
Allright, the gatherers outside the fort have been locked out, but most of the populace are safely sealed within our walls.

I look out through my peeky hole and see quite a sight, fire, vomit demons, and a pretty full mo-
[as it turns out, it was the first of the month. As Tulon will most likely be indisposed for the rest of the siege, I’ll be taking over for a bit.
The demons in the inner wall are wrecking everything in sight, but they can’t get in, The voidsquad have been ordered to rally at the bedrooms while a launching point/kill area is set up. The wildfire has caught and is spreading like...well, it’s spreading quite fast.
On a brighter note, our refuse problem seems to have been partially taken care of.
Wait, shit, a flame demon got into Tulon’s enclosure and set fire to the tree.
And now he's getting the utter shit beaten out of him because he transformed back.

And now I’m getting spammed with reports as the trees collapse!
Shortly before the invasion began, a human spearman arrived.

He’s been doing...decently.
Also, a recruit was on the surface as well.

I don’t quite know what happened there to be honest.
Back at the barricades, I wait for the voidsquad to arrive, while miners dig out a tunnel to the area that is not completely on fire I order the construction of a gate area to prevent the demons from getting in should out intrepid squad fail.
Oh joy, more collapse reports.
The game pauses every time too.
Mechanisms are swiftly rushed to get the gate ready, as cats die in droves on the surface, a minor bonus.
Almost half the map is bare of trees now, and I suspect that this invasion may have started a wildfire in other parts of the woods near out fort as well.
After seeing that the mechanisms were not coming in time, i burrowed the squad and a miner into the tunnel, and walled it off.
The miner began digging upwards.
I ordered them to attack and….
Fuck it I’ll just station them near some demons (they won’t follow attack orders for some reason.)
Wait, they’re not doing that…
Oh, i dug up under a boulder.
Alright, now we do a heroic charge?
It’s working so far, they are approaching the enemy…
Charrrgggeeee!!)
Bosa the vermillion devil raised its head as several crackling trees fell around it. It had no nose, no ears, no eyes, it was a giant earthworm with feathers. But sensing a strange vibration, it lifted it’s head anyways. Up until that recently it had lived a rather stereotypical life for a demon, appearing long ago, making its way up to the surface, then destroying everything in its path. But a few months ago it was called. Called in a way similar to that of a salmon heading upstream, or birds flying south. It was called, and being a simple beast, it went.

Along the way it was joined by beasts with similar desires, and together they formed quite the horde. As they approached their destination, they felt a dark push, being simple beasts, they paused, and then resumed their march. It was that decision that doomed them in the end. Had they turned and ran they could have survived, but they stayed the course, sealing their fate.

Dwarves, and to a lesser extent humans, are quite strange in some aspects. Push a dwarf over, and he gets right back up to punch you in the groin. Steal a dwarf’s belongings and it’s likely the dwarf will punch you in the groin, then proceed to steal all of your prized possessions whilst commenting on their “Shoddy Craftsmanship.” Try to ransack a dwarf’s fort, and you’ve just commited suicide in a roundabout way.

Round about the walls they went, staying clear of the flames and smashing anything resembling a demon that they came across. There was no confusion as to who was winning, never even a doubt.
Td;lr: The Voidgod is an overpowered bastard who deserves cake.
To be honest, this is fucking amazing, a literal death god beating the shit out of demons while everything around him burns and an uncompleted tower of insanity looms next to a windmill in the background.
I did accidentally kill most of the other militia members though.
Yeah.
Sorry ‘bout that.
Weirdly enough, the majority of the remaining demons are stuck in trees like cats.
Wait, where's the voidgod gone?

Wait, he was just on the surface, locked out of the fort and beating demons into a bloody pulp, how’d he get down here that fast, or at all?
It’s official, the Voidgod is a sorcerer.

Actually the front gate just burnt down.
Should probably get someone to guard that.
Okay, I’ve stationed the remaining voidsquad members (Sans voidgod, he needs a break) at the gate while I get it rebuilt.
I don’t know what to do about the demons in trees, wait for them to burn down?
A large portion of the trees are leafless, but standing, the grass, and quite a few cats are gone though.

Tulon is very dead, I will reincarnate him (Hello Tulon III!) But I’m not gonna write a log for him.
All in all, I think I did decen- SHIT THEY CAN SHOOT AT US FROM THE TREES BACK INSIDE EVERYONE!
Welp, Everyone is walled in now, though several of the workers died pretty horribly on their way in. Our population is at 66 now, with over half of them listening to stories, praying, or meditating/reading on stupid things.
Shit, some got in before we could finish the walls.
VOIDGOD ARISE FROM YOUR NAP PLEASE!
Okay, he is standing outside the entrance while I internally scream at the builders to do their fucking jobs.
Well, I accidentally started a lemming rush, 56 dwarves left. Still not walled off, voidgod only defense now.
A rain put out the fire, leaving a tiny bit of grass at the bottom of the map.
I’ve shoved a log on the hole, closed the remaining hatches, and called it a day.
A tiny patch of grass within the walls survived, quite pretty, I hope it grows back.

Okay, waaaay too many people are just chilling right now.
There are a few more demons wandering about on the surface, but I do not wish to disturb them, the Voidgod would probably kill them all, but I don’t want to push my luck any farther.
I set up a temporary body dumping area for the demons that got in and wrecked out pet population, I’ve also began expanding the catacombs in preparation. I checked the wiki and found that i only have this month, then obsidian, then this becomes someone else’s big mess to deal with.
I’ve quickly approved the petition of some bard dude that wanted in.
I’ve also dumped all sources of miasma I could find, but it’s obscuring most of the others.
To while away the few more minutes I have, I’ve decided to make a list of all my accomplishments.

I have, in less than a year:
Accidentally eliminated our entire smithing industry
Expanded our walls
Built the base to a cool tower thing
Almost halved our population
Bought Iron and Steel
Given the Voidgod a promotion and a sweet room
Built a werechinchilla feeding system only to have said chinchilla promptly die
Gone through two bodies for my overseer
Eliminated almost all the militia
Started construction on werelocks for the other two wereskinks
(Probably) Not killed any named dwarves
Kept the Voidgod alive/given him teleportation powers

A decent year in my opinion.
I am really sorry for messing it up for the next person up though, none of this was intentional.
Could have gone worse, Could have gone much better too.
The demons are still wandering about on the surface, it they step on the log i suspect they will burn it and get in. they have no reason to go there, so I’m hoping it will hold out.
We have enough food for quite some time, and booze is at decent levels too.
There are quite a lot of dead bodies on the surface, I’ve got places to bury them, but I don’t want to make more dead than i have to so I’ll play the waiting game for a bit.
Again, I am REEEEAAALLLYYY sorry to whoever gets next go, I should have done a few more practice forts before trying to tackle this one.
Who knows though? Mabey the demons will have some nice things to say to the Elves if they arrive, and I’m sure this burning wasteland of trees and death is exactly what Elves love the most anyways!
Here's what we have left to deal with, the Voidgod could probably wipe the floor with them, but I wanted to give him a break.

A few more did arrive since the last screen of the invaders.
Oh hey, the miasma died down!
The grass is even growing back a little, The rain has died down.
Maybe it won’t be so bad after all?

Actually, nevermind. (take note of Tulon’s purple corpse in the corner near the blue sock thing.)
The poor Voidgod is now all alone in his squad too, still training in halls once full of comrades.
7 in game days left, people seem to be recovering somewhat.
6 days, bodies outside can’t be reached, constant message spam.
5 days, Voidgod stops training to socialize and rest for a while.
4 days, He goes back to individual combat drills.
3 days, Well over half our population are reading, socializing, or listening.
2 days, Grass has begun to sprout up in small patches, especially within our walls.
1 day, The remains of the trade depot lie in the shadow of the windmill, unmoving.

I’m Done!
Again, I apologize for any mistakes or stupidity, I am not good at this game.
Save Incoming!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »

Very nice turn! Quick too! I think you're the first one to see demons and actually post a save afterwards, but I could be wrong.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:10 pm »

Wait, I've hit a bump.
How do I upload the save? (Sorry, still new to the forums.)
I've tried uploading it through DFFD, but it didn't give me anything that I could see.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16