Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)  (Read 47697 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2017, 10:00:14 am »

A migrant has arrived.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2017, 08:39:17 pm »

Oh, I loved deathgate I. Didn't readed the II tough. Dorf me for now, while I get my shit together, then (next semester) I will probably want a turn
Ô_ quack

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 12:16:42 am »

Oh, I loved deathgate I. Didn't readed the II tough. Dorf me for now, while I get my shit together, then (next semester) I will probably want a turn

K, dorf you i will.

As for my update, dont worry, new job has me doing evenings and overnights, that and school arekillers, but I have Friday off, so i should be able to finish autumn and fall, wish me luck
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »

Dorf me too - it'd be great if any of the founder slots are still available - and I want to claim the next turn while it's still open.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 11:24:04 pm »

Yeah, I f*cked up majorly. I flooded the fort and almost everyone is dead despite my best efforts... soo

Want to see a screenshot?

anywho, feel free to skip me

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:34 am »

Silly Ryukan; dwarves don't need water to grow!

What did you pierce and where, out of curiosity?
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 10:23:47 am »

Silly Ryukan; dwarves don't need water to grow!

What did you pierce and where, out of curiosity?

I build a magma resovoir up on the surface, then a pumpstack, then began to fill it, went away from my computer for a sec and when I came back...

One of the pieces of the pumpstack never got placed so magma just kept a'comin and when I got back, nearly everyone was dead. Im at work right now, but when I get home, I'll load the save to take a few screenshots

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 04:40:28 pm »

Wait a second. Yesterday I found a cursed marble. I lost control while driving on a rainy day and crashed into a ditch. Then I locked my keys in the car. After that I chucked the marble into the woods. What time of day did the fortress flood?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:22 pm »

While I have to agree with everyone else that it would no doubt be fun to let this thread wither on the vine for another week, I have decided to make an executive decision and, since I did ask to take the next turn anyway and nobody seems interested in objecting, unilaterally declare it My Turn. If desired, I am available to take as many turns as necessary. We now return to your regularly scheduled Spring.

"[...] the Dwarven stronghold Slaughterhelm (fl. c. 120) [...] puzzling scholars for generations." - Icelarva et al., Dwarven Societies of the Second Century: A Para-Meta-Review, Dverg. Lett. 422;4:7–192

"With the Year of Gigmaster having ended, the formal title of Overseer fell, as so often happens in frontier fortresses from time to time, into abeyance; there was, however, no mystery as to where the center of civic power truly lay, all records being signed succinctly by a dwarf known as Max. Although he used no official title, Max seems generally to have acted with all the powers and responsibilities of an Overseer, and was treated as such by most citizens for the purpose of dating documents, wherefore we shall speak of the ensuing year (by our estimate around 112), as did they, as the Year of Max." - T. Smallsilver, Timeline of the Leadership of Slaughterhelm

"Although some records imply the custom may have existed at the founding, we find the first clear example at the onset of the Year of Max, when both Max himself and a peasant taking the name Onciblu were initiated." - Fatmortal, Juggleblossom, and Fitch, The 'Slaughterhelm Paradox' Resolved: A New Etiology, 57 J. CRAFT. MOUNT. 119–66 (682)

Spoiler: full thoughts (click to show/hide)

"MEMORANDUM, Granite 6 - image commissioned by Max completed; ordered statuary & engraved renditions. Ast Trumpetbank, manager." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. IV

"The human wereskink Ucim Racedrevered [...] before disappearing from the historical record in the early 100s." - C. Goatmartyr, Werebeasts of the World

"MEMORANDUM, Granite 15 - citizen Olon Mengate occupies workshop in clothier's district. To be watched. Ast Trumpetbank, manager." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VIII

"Max seems to have been fond of public speaking, as many of his speeches survive in the form of official transcriptions amongst the Annals. These transcriptions often display the curious feature of apparent lapses into some provincial dialect that has not yet been confidently identified." - T. Smallsilver, Timeline of the Leadership of Slaughterhelm

"The transcript relates to the speech of Granite 24 spoken by Max:
   Fellows! Our ain weaver Olon Mengate haes made a great rik rope clypt Templethins th' Embraced Rag for us aa. Mey it be the first o' many mair!" - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. III

"6th Felsite: Petition for residency of human poet Ari Trimpassage is hereby GRANTED. ~Max" - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. IV
Spoiler: current thoughts (click to show/hide)

"[Twen?]ty and seven. Work of uncovering Tau spire halted [...] myself nearly trapped in floodwaters. Hastily walled off passage with my own hands, gems and adamantine left to [...] much taller than Alpha, well above lake surface [...] searching for another route to upper levels [...]" - Personal letter or journal, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 13.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:21:08 pm by Maximum Spin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »

Sure, go ahead. I'm sticking you in the turn list. Nice job so far!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:29 pm »

Incidentally, with my year now half-over (more on which soon, of course) and the fortress' vitality now re-established(?), do there happen to be any lurkers who want to be dorfed but were afraid to ask? It's a little hard to do the void-spirit theme justice when there are only some six of them. Especially since I have a plan to give Slaughterhelm a Deathgate-style goal now (more on which also soon).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2017, 09:45:09 pm »

My goals are, in this order:
1. Keep the thread alive
2. Keep the fort alive
3. Keep the Voidgod alive
4. Make sure dwarves only die from things that leave corpses
5. Let the fort live long enough to run into demons and voidspawn
6. Do an awesome ending
If you want to pursue your own goals, then do so.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 01:28:12 am »

Well, 5's a check. 2's looking a little tenuous as a direct consequence, but we aren't dead yet. One other in particular, though, see below.

SUMMER

"Hmt. Twelve. Another spire sighted! Extent still unknown, uncovering now taking prece[dence...] calling it Qoppa as it is still such a Question [...] underdwarfed since the trading topside has put most hands to hauling [...]" - Personal letter or journal, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 15.

"One of the first such clusters, by the canonical ordering, subsumes fragments 10, 13, 15, [...], all evidently written by the same hand within a relatively short span of time. We shall call the anonymous author of these fragments the Early Miner, because the texts almost exclusively describe the fortress' mining operations." - T. Smallsilver, The Annotated Slaughterhelm Palimpsests

"[...]announced his so-called Uniform Vegetation & Minerals Initiative today. Seems to think he can legislate the look of the plants outside [...] very rock beneath our feet! Everything looks the same as always to me, but the Founders all nod along and insist [...] changed during the Year of Gigmaster. Perhaps I am the one mad." - Personal letter, author and provenance unknown, somewhat charred specimen likely never delivered. Correspondence of the Second Century collection, Great Museum of Grapeblossoms.

"MEMORANDUM, Hematite 18 - citizen Tekkud Whiteclasped now occupying workshop in the deeps, against all-hands trading order. To be watched; if necessary, punished. Ast Trumpetbank, manager." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. III

"REGISTER OF TRADE, Hematite 19
5000☼ in miscellaneous crafts offered to the Defensive Union.
12250☼ purchased from the Defensive Union:
Spoiler: details (click to show/hide)
23059☼ traded to the Defensive Union:
2589☼ in miscellaneous clothing;
1190☼ in furniture;
19280☼ in miscellaneous crafts.
Authorized Hematite 19, Ast Trumpetbank, broker." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. IX

"Mcht. Two. Qoppa successfully punct[ured...] Tau nearing completion. Now a well shaft has been ordered [...] always back and forth. Too many stairs." - Personal letter or journal, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 19.

"The transcript relates to the speech of Malachite 8 spoken by Max:
   Fellows! The builder Tekkud Whiteclasped haes made a ring clypt Stylessword the Hazy Rooters for some reason! Our wele ainlie grows!" - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VI

"MEMORANDUM, Malachite 8 - relieved citizen Tekkud Whiteclasped of bedroom privileges due to disobedience. Ast Trumpetbank, manager." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VIII

"12th Malachite: Petition for residency of human poet Adi Willfulcrevice hereby GRANTED. ~Max" - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. V
Spoiler: current thoughts (click to show/hide)

"10 Galena: Heard a giant atta[cked...] in the night. I don't believe a word [...] of course. I never saw any [...] think I would have noticed." - Personal letter or journal, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 32.

AUTUMN (½)

"If the individual demons who have now and again made their way into the mortal realm seeking power are a danger, the massed forces of the so-called Demonic race are a terror. Claiming to have arrived here from another world, it is true that they have little directly in common with the less gregarious demons hailing from our terrestrial Hell, though the general concord of their frighteningly varied forms suggests a clear if distant kinship. [...] With their armies shrouded in fire matched only by their burning lust for conquest, they have seared ashen miles across the world for untold generations; it has often been said that, were they not checked in their advance by the equally fearsome voidspawn (for which see chapter V), they would easily have snuffed out all other life centuries ago." - CHAPTER IV: The Demonic Race; Snosgu, Onuxstud, and Towershopes, On Evil Races (tr. W. R. Armdog)

Spoiler: invader list (click to show/hide)

"Emergency Order issued 5th Limestone: all able-bodied workers ordered to assist in the construction of a fireblock, effective immediately. The penalty for noncompliance likely to be death by horrific burning. Authorized by Max." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VII

"[...]looks like at least one demon has been crushed to death under the burning trees[...]" - Military report, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 24.

"The flames had already consumed the bodies of the fallen... all we could do was rush to build our wall, and pray." - Personal letter, author and provenance unknown. Correspondence of the Second Century collection, Great Museum of Grapeblossoms.

"Emergency Order of 5th Limestone hereby terminated as completed. Authorized by Max, 15th Limestone." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VII

"EMERGENCY BULLETIN, 19TH LIMESTONE: OH GOD THE RAIN STOPPED AND EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE AGAIN, EVERYBODY PANIC ~Max" - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. III

"[...]the Voidgod is taking a lot of damage out there[...]just fell into the pond. It doesn't look like he's getting up[...]now the pond is on fire. Situation appears dire. Please advise." - Military report, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 56.

Spoiler: voidgod's injuries (click to show/hide)

"Emergency Order issued 19th Limestone: Slaughterhelm is to be sealed until further notice. The fireblock wall has been breached. Do not attempt to leave the fortress. The penalty for noncompliance is demons. The penalty for compliance may also be demons. Slaughterhelm hereby honours the sacrifice of chief medical official Vucar Cloisteredcage and citizen Datan Razorfaiths, who have inadvertently volunteered to distract the demons while this order is carried out. Authorized by Max." - The Collected Annals of Slaughterhelm, vol. VIII

"[...]The Voidgod is dead. All that remains of Slaughterhelm on the surface is a cat.[...]" - Military report, unknown author. Slaughterhelm Palimpsests, fragment 14.

Tune in next time for the exciting(?) conclusion of the Year of Max!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 08:37:28 am »

OH SHIT

Do you have DFhack and experience with gm-editor? If so, dwarf a new Flame. If not, I need you to temporarily hand the save to me so I can make a new one.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:12 pm »

If so, dwarf a new Flame.
Sure, I can do that. Would you prefer if I recover and full-heal -r your old one, though? (and give him legendary swimming...) After all, gods do have this habit of not staying dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16