Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save scumming  (Read 4308 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save scumming
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:20 pm »

I feel really stupid asking the question, but how do you save scum in this game?

All I'm trying to do is figure out whether it's better to set up the manager before doing much of anything, or setting him up later, possibly after piercing the aquifer, or maybe even later. Ideally, it would be best to do it from a common point (play up to a given point, save, do x, do y, see where you are, save scum, do y, do x, see where you are) but I can't get these copies to even show up on the continue game list.

If I recall correctly a few versions ago, all you had to do was copy the save folder (region2 or whatever) into a different location, then paste it back into that same folder when you wanted to roll back. That is no longer the case? Or am I thinking a different game?

Thanks!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save scumming
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:20 pm »

Save game, do stuff, mess up, shutdown DF (crrl-alt-del unless you're using dfhack which has a safer command), reload. Congratulations, you're now scum.

If you want multiple save points, I find it easy enough to just make a few copies of DF entirely. It's tiny unless you're using starter packs and stuff.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:28:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:23 pm »

Huh. I guess that will have to do.

Didn't there used to be a way to save, then copy over to replay differently from that point?

Seriously, though? DF is still doing some serious crashage, particularly when I do multiple designations/constructions, then single step, then do some more designations/constructions, then single step, etc, and then have to do the whole thing all over again from the embark, and the coding time goes into making it harder to cheat MYSELF? Seriously?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:03 pm »

If you want multiple save points, I find it easy enough to just make a few copies of DF entirely. It's tiny unless you're using starter packs and stuff.
That would probably work for the handful of times I care to scum. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I've been spending hours trying to do a recover point of a save, when all I really needed to do was do a recover point of the entire game.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:10 pm »

My bad. Looks like all I needed to do was restart Windows 8. Restart and save-scumming works as I remembered.

If my work didn't require Windows, I'd deep six the MS crap in a New York minute.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »

My bad. Looks like all I needed to do was restart Windows 8. Restart and save-scumming works as I remembered.

If my work didn't require Windows, I'd deep six the MS crap in a New York minute.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »

AAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGGG!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:46 am »

I feel really stupid asking the question, but how do you save scum in this game?

All I'm trying to do is figure out whether it's better to set up the manager before doing much of anything, or setting him up later, possibly after piercing the aquifer, or maybe even later. Ideally, it would be best to do it from a common point (play up to a given point, save, do x, do y, see where you are, save scum, do y, do x, see where you are) but I can't get these copies to even show up on the continue game list.

If I recall correctly a few versions ago, all you had to do was copy the save folder (region2 or whatever) into a different location, then paste it back into that same folder when you wanted to roll back. That is no longer the case? Or am I thinking a different game?

Thanks!

If you use one of the newb packs, you can actually set it to make seasonal saves and those will be stored in well-named directories.  I generally don't do this myself because of some dumb ethics or whatever, but I would if I lost a game due to some pure crash situation rather than my own dumbness.

Scumming is as simple as just saving those save directories somewhere so you don't lose them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:22:43 am »

Thanks!

If you use one of the newb packs, you can actually set it to make seasonal saves and those will be stored in well-named directories.  I generally don't do this myself because of some dumb ethics or whatever, but I would if I lost a game due to some pure crash situation rather than my own dumbness.

Scumming is as simple as just saving those save directories somewhere so you don't lose them.
Seasonal saves are just regular saves triggered every season in vanilla. What does the newb pack do differently?

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 04:42:41 pm »

Seasonal saves are just regular saves triggered every season in vanilla. What does the newb pack do differently?

you can order the starter pack to save backups..
seasonal savings and backups is very possible that way..
even more efficient than the "die" command in df-hack. but you need to clean out all those saved games from time to time...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 04:21:37 pm »

Seriously, though? DF is still doing some serious crashage, particularly when I do multiple designations/constructions, then single step, then do some more designations/constructions, then single step, etc, and then have to do the whole thing all over again from the embark, and the coding time goes into making it harder to cheat MYSELF? Seriously?
The Stocks menu bug in 43.03 caused a half-dozen crashes for me before I found the cause. During that time I started saving the game and then reloading several times a season. Otherwise, only one unexplained crash since then in maybe 5 months. You should try the "I don't want to redo all that, so it is time to make a save" approach until you sort out what is happening.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:37 pm »

I think everything I've encountered is specific to this machine, or maybe the way HP meshes with Windows 8. Yes, when I Save Game, then alt-tab to save scum, Explorer gives me weirdness like entire folders missing, which fixes itself with a reboot, but it also happens occasionally with a lot of other programs. I don't recall it happening unless I get a "Not Responding" message. I don't get it on either of my gaming machines.

The crashes are obvious. It brings up a dialog box that DF has stopped working, and I have only two options -- check the net for solutions and terminate the program. But I don't get the crashes on my other machines, either. Just this one.

A quicksave would be really sweet. I don't really mind the time to save, but the time to load can sometimes be too much for my patience.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 05:58:49 pm »

Well, I recall a mention somewhere in this forum - maybe PeredexisErrant's LNP thread? - that keeping programs in Programs Files acting buggy with DF.

Try moving the game elsewhere, to an unindexed folder.

DFHack does have quicksave command - probably my most used command I actually type (ignoring the ones with in-game gui or hotlinks).

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 09:32:56 pm »

DFHack does have quicksave command - probably my most used command I actually type (ignoring the ones with in-game gui or hotlinks).
I just stumbled on that this evening. Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »

Well, I recall a mention somewhere in this forum - maybe PeredexisErrant's LNP thread? - that keeping programs in Programs Files acting buggy with DF.

Usually people stuff up the security permissions. That's the only reason to avoid Program Files (x86). IT's not difficult to get either a) correct or b) over simplified (giving "Users" "Full access" to everything under the install folder is an absolute sledgehammer but it works fine).
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.