Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken Hearts - Planning and Discussion  (Read 2884 times)

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
Broken Hearts - Planning and Discussion
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:08 am »

This thread is just so that I have a spot to continuously edit the open part of the setup (everything other than a particular game's role list and flavor text) and to concentrate feedback in one place.

Please tell me if anything is even slightly ambiguous or lacking in required detail.

Broken Hearts
a game of love
(not mafia)

Core Mechanics
Spoiler: Winning & Game Over (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Day & Night (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LOVE (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:51:01 pm by doll »

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Hearts - Planning and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:52:24 am »

You might have an issue with the day only ends when people vote for it to end system, I tried running a hammer only game and it ended due to lack of participation.

Set-up definitely looks interesting though, especially the pming to end the game part.  Everything looks clear, except you didn't put why people would die from being outside given that the survivalist role exists.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:27:52 am »

You might have an issue with the day only ends when people vote for it to end system, I tried running a hammer only game and it ended due to lack of participation.
I'll just need to wait until I can expect reliable participation, and force-replace inactive players aggressively.
Also: there is no town. Players are not trying to hunt scum. Players will not be hunting properly until they have some mechanical information to work on. Mechanical information is learned at night.

Everything looks clear, except you didn't put why people would die from being outside given that the survivalist role exists.

Quote from: Day & Night
Every player who started and remained the Day Outside will die at the beginning of Night unless otherwise noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »

Hi.
In.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:21:36 pm »

I'll just need to wait until I can expect reliable participation, and force-replace inactive players aggressively.
Also: there is no town. Players are not trying to hunt scum. Players will not be hunting properly until they have some mechanical information to work on. Mechanical information is learned at night.
[/quote]
This seems a fatal flaw in the game. If you do this, participation will likely get really stagnant.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 03:44:58 pm »

I suppose you're right about making players need to manually extend the days (or having fixed length days).
I was originally going with that anyway, but it seems odd to have it default to doing something which should happen as soon as the voting majority are no longer interested in the day.

The main reason for the unending days was the expectation that there would be daytime sequences where players won't act until they hear the response to their confessions (if there is one).  I suppose that's covered by manual extensions anyway.

Re: hunting: the usual goal of the game is to hunt for a partner, rather than for generically or specifically hostile players (though those may and in most setups will exist).

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:58:45 pm »

Hey! Saw this in the Setup thread. Wanted to say that this looks like a pretty nifty, artsy bastard / deconstruction-of-sorts of Mafia. Mechanics are set up to create a good framework for emergent storytelling, which is one of my favorite parts of the genre. I love the theming too; it ought to pair well with mechanics based around trust and uncertainty, forgivable lynching, the risk brought by protecting, investigating, or otherwise getting close to someone unknown (room-based collateral damage, identification, etc), and the rampant promotion of collusion and conspiracy in general. That's a good recipe, right there! :D

That all said, whenever you get around to running this, are you considering letting people Spoiler-Spectate? I'm not certain I should/could play (not sure I can be of use, or provide a proper challenge in Mafia), but I'd love to see it in action!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:55:18 am by Solifuge »

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 12:21:32 am »

That all said, whenever you get around to running this, are you considering letting people Spoiler-Spectate? I'm not certain I should/could play (not sure I can be of use, or provide a proper challenge in Mafia), but I'd love to see it in action!
This is very much a game where you should be playing to your wincon and your wincon alone, so it's not too terrible (for everyone else) to have inexperienced and/or rusty players.
That said, I will be having spoilspecs if I don't think there will be a problem getting enough replacements.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:46:53 am »

At first glance, I read that one comment to say "...as with all girls, they are genderless <insert Otaku Convention here>". It came across as a nugget of human wisdom, rather than a misunderstanding of the subject/basic grammar. I liked it, but whoops nevertheless!

Anyway doodabuddy, thanks for laying out the clarification, pointing out them logic holes, etc. If you're personally okay with it- and no else one protests outright- I'll definitely consider playing when/if you get around to running it, rust be damned. And I hope you do run it; it sounds quite fun!

That said, good luck with your prep, and the rest of your biz.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:44 pm »

PTWing this thread for its beauty of construction and mechanics. :3 Love seeing things like these in play :D
(Oh goodness if someone is running this Broken hearts theme, I'm SO IN no matter how bad my workload will be)

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:31:07 am »

BH1 is in the queue, between BYOR 0/Supernatural 9 and Sprng [Of] Hate/Wiretap Mafia.
BH1 will be a 9 player game.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 02:12:24 am »

This sound incredibly amusing.

Waiting for this to turn into a Yandere simulation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread