Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)  (Read 4518 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Forest World(TechFortress Thread)
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »

Hello all! This is where we list out the ideas and progress for a new game called Tech Fortress(for now). It uses the DF engine and framework, but all the RAWS will be replaced with new ones. ALL of them, making it original in the same way that one could call Heretic original - its the same, but entirely different. This particular thread will focus on the development of the first world type - the FOREST PLANET! Aliens on this world should be adapted to forest life, and all of the strange alien flora should turn up here too. Alien and Settler Races, the tech tree - all of that gets worked on HERE.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:47 pm »

Since you asked for some of my ideas, this is the plan for one of the creatures - essentially, its an herbivorous spider. A giant, spidery lookin creature with a rock shell - possibly limestone? - that uses its climbing skill to go up into tall trees and devour the fruit from the uppermost branches. It is not hostile, but if attacked it is very dangerous - it doesnt bite, but its limbs are all VERY sharp, and an unprepared settler could be easily disemboweled. A local alien race i am working on the concept for uses them a livestock, because they breed quickly, and have litters of younglings who mature in just 2 earth-years. They are also one-eyed, and (if its not too difficult), their blood will act as a "performance enhancer" of sorts, filling the drinker with energy and strength temporarily.(the aliens im working on ARE blood-suckers, who should make use of this).
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:32:42 pm »

Not sure how to make someone entirely herbivorous. Probably no way to actually make it actually climb trees. You'd just need to borrow from the vampire's syndromes to make the blood increase strength. Bloodsucking aliens would possibly treated the same as vampires, maybe even in their own civs(vampires are sometimes purged in executions.)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:16 pm »

well, there are several herbivores in dawrf fortress as it is - so i know that possible. Amd if it has a really high climbing skill, y'know, it might be able to climb em? Just tryin to think outside the box, cuz they aliens
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:04:55 am »

TechFortress you say? Hmm...
I'm interested in the "tech" part of that...
What will your mod implement?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:33:11 am »

Well, the current plan for tech fortress is to make a futuristic, space-colonization game in the DF engine, with new alien biomes and species. As for the tech part, there is going to be a series of fortresses. Each one can use materials from the last, in the form of a sort of tech tree, to build the next. example - you need the electronics workshop to build a electromagnetics workshop - which gives you coilguns. To make it a bit more limited, you also need blueprints that can only be gotten through trading in order to craft a tech workshop. So you can have the electromagnetics workshop blueprint, but you need wiring that can only be made in the electronics workshop to actually use it and build the workshop. Over time, we want to build a significant tech tree, branching into bio-tech, plasma, robotics, and all that cool shit. Different sets of raws will also be distributed - different planet types, species, alien races, and planet-based technologies. There should also be alien tech that your settlers cannot re-create using blueprints, similar to exotic weapons.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:46:18 am »

Wow. Very cool.
This would be a bit like Gnome Fortress, then?

Also, idea: Given that this is space *colonization*, perhaps you could make it so that creatures that normally wouldn't survive in the environment be able to create sites using special spacesuit-type clothing.

Building on that front, you can add airlocks, so that people inside climate-controlled rooms separated from the outside by an airlock will be able to survive without spacesuits. If a building destroyer gets to your airlock, however, that would result in almost instantaneous death of the inhabitants.

Also, you might add a Terraforming Workshop or something like that that slowly, over about a hundred years, transforms the atmosphere.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 01:56:09 am »

Thats some complex, ambitious stuff - for now, im assuming all of the people colonizing these planets have been genetically modified to withstand the conditions therein, allowng them to breathe the otherworldy air and all of that. But cool ideas, might look at them down the line! For now, the implementation of basic tech tress, as well as at least 3 planet types, and various alien species, are our priority. If you want in on this, i dont think we actually have someone to specialize in workshops. Also, im logging off for the night - so ill see any response tomorrow.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 02:36:47 am »

Yes!
Me wants in!
Me very much wants in!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:05:29 pm »

COOL! Well, do you think you could help with the tech tree workshops? Or making alien minerals? Making creatures is kinda something everyone will do, but for example, im also the interaction guy - i get to add in things like mutations as the equivalent of stuff like necromancy or vampires. So I can do stuff like that, and also i work on creatures. As I said, we could really use a homie to work on the tech workshops - just use vanilla materials, and we can replace those with the space equivalent later.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »

Yes, I can do the tech tree workshops. You can just PM me what workshops you want me to design. :)
I'm not really versed in making new minerals, but I might try that too.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 02:24:44 pm »

We just need a single tech path for now - a sort of proof of concept. So maybe an electronics workshop, which can make an item called Copper Wire, followed by an Electromagnetics workshop that needs Copper Wire to be built, right, and with Electromagnetic Coils made in that workshop you can make the Coilgun Factory, which lets you make a Coilgun(re-named crossbow for now lol) out of Electromagnetic coils and a metal ingot of some sort- so you need one bar of Copper and a Electromagnetic Coil to make a Copper Coilgun. We can throw in the blueprints part prettty easy afterwards - make it an extra piece needed to build it, just one more object shouldn't be too much of a pain.

If you can give us that, we can start really planning the Forest World tech tree.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 08:06:21 pm »

I'm almost done with the workshops/reactions, but I want to ask about the ASCII artwork used to represent them. I came up with this for the finished building stage of the Electrician's Workshop:
Code: [Select]
↑╤
  ‼
@@╝
As you know, I also need the artwork for "designated", "partially done" and "nearly done" stages. Perhaps you have some ideas?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 08:13:00 pm »

not concerned with artowrk at the moment, TBH  - i just need a working proof-of-concet series of things. Do whatever you like - i sure as hell aint complainin! :D
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »

Sure. I'll just put 'X's in the corners for all stages, except for the lower right corner which will tell you which workshop it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5