Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)  (Read 4519 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:43 am »

It might be a bit of a big request, but could you make a civ of creatures? I want it to be a low-pop civ of aliens that are essentially giatn humanoids, like twice as big as people, who are covered in black feathers, entirely eyeless, herbivorous, and highy advanced. They will have great tech and good stats, but limited pop. size. Not too aggro, but if it comes to war they start out with igh tech, and can potentially f*** you up royally. But blind, like i said, and with a mammalian facial structure and features. Tusks would be neat. no tail proly.
Sure, I can make a civ. Not sure if I can make them low-pop. twice size, black feathers, and blindness would work. However, blind creatures can't use ranged weaponry, and that seems like a bad idea in a technology based mod. Herbivorous?.. I have no idea if I can make civ creatures herbivorous. To make them highly advanced, either I need your reactions( and I if have posted them somewhere, I don't know where), or permission to make my own. Blind creatures would not fire crossbows, or see anything that's not on their own square, as far as I know.
What should their civ be like? Do they have regular blood/pus/spit/sweat/tears ?
Pikachu17, another creature i wanted to ask you to mage is  huge alien behemoth - an herbivore like the wild goats you find in regular DF on mountains, but it will actually be a megabeast. It should - if possible, have somewhat poor sight, but be highly aggressive. I'm thinking something that stands 15 feet tall, on two massive, muscled legs with cloven hooves, six beady little eyes, sharp buck teeth in a triangular shape at the front of its mostly molar filled mouth, and giant horns, black as moonless midnight and twice the length of the monsters head. No arms of any sort, but a long, thick tail. And covered in pale green scales.
Not sure about poor sight. Not sure what height anything is, so wouldn't be exactly 15 feet tall. What BODY_SIZE should they have? cloven hooves, six small eyes, giant black horns, no arms, green scales and a long long tail. Can't actually make anything triangular, although I could call it 'triangular teeth'. Does it have regular blood/pus/sweat/tears?
It is a four legged egg shaped creature, with a long thin tail that is covered in tiny, venomous barbs. Its venom causes necrosis if it touches flesh, and it runs at least 1.5X human speeds. Weak on endurance though - a good coilgun shot should kill it, or at least cripple it/cause major blood loss. it should be a white color - like an egg lol - with slick skin and black blood, if possible. Its head and neck should be short, and its mouth should be relatively non-threatening - after all, it rarely uses it to fight, mainly to gorge itself. If possible, give it no nose, and real good eyesight. And it should be a pack animal that travels in groups of at LEAST 3, pref. more.
Could have tiny venomous barbs, four legs(not sure about 'egg-shaped'), necrotic venom, 1.5X human speeds(1.5 times gait speed, or 1.5 agility?), weak endurance(endurance stat, or weak material?*), white color, black blood, short head(and neck, although I'm not absolutely sure on this), no nose, real good eyesight(maybe), and a pack of at least three. what do you mean by 'slick skin'? It could have bite as a secondary attack, and have bite also be weaker.
*what is a coilgun like?
a smaller species of fungoid, it has no vital organs but funnctions as a living creature just the same, made out of soft tissue. It bleeds pale yellow stuff that the egg guy should be immune to, but if ingested by a human causes bloody vomit and lethargy. It runs at slightly slower than human speed, breeds/matures quickly and in litters, its meat is fully edible - unlike its blood - and it can swim well too. It should be like a six legged lizard looking thing, about the size of a cat, but red and bumpy, with no mouth or ears(and no need to eat or drink, it osmosises) and only one eye. No tail either - it has evolved to quickly reproduce in order to survive where other creatures simply became stronger. It should travel in larger packs than the egg beasties. If you could to that it would be really awesome, bro.
Soft tissue, pale yellow stuff(what should it be called? Should it cough blood, cause nausea, and lower speed when ingested?), slightly slower speed(gait itself slower, or agility lower?), mature quickly(can make large litters, and I could make it become an adult in a year, but can't breed quicker),
fully edible meat(what kind of flesh does this fungoid have?), good swimming(automatic swimming, or high natural skill?), six legs, cat size, red color, no mouth or ears, no eating or drinking, one eye, no tail, and large packs. Do you want an eye-hit to insta-kill it? How exactly are they fungoid?

With most of these creatures, I need to know specifically whether they have regular blood/pus/sweat/tears/spit/tendons. Their basic average speed, whether they are immune to infection/general poison. Some of these questions you have already answered for specific creatures.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

Unless specified otherwise, normal blood and other fluids, coilguns for now are crossbows, feather guys can see without having any eyes, they have high peace and knowledge ratings commonly and lower hatred/martial prowess propensity. For now give em crossbows. poor sight can be ignored for the megabeast, give it whatever BODY_SIZE works for a giant horned beast - idk what would be best - and when something like triangle buckteeth or egg shaped body cannot be coded in, add it to the description, or maybe the prefstring. Its for flavor as much as anything.  When I say speed, i never mean agility - i will specify otherwise. weak endurance for the egg predator, as well as (if its not too much trouble) make up a particularly breakable material of some sort. Slick skin is flavvor text. And yea, bit should be a secondary attack. the yellow stuff on the last critter is blood, just call it that - and do not cause slowing syndrome, the other two symptoms are fine. Id like if you could make a custom material for his flesh, something soft but semi-durable, make up a new kind of meat that is lower density or weight for the meat you get offa him, high natural swim skill, eye hit should not be an insta-kill, but maybe make it cause major pain? Fungoid is just a classification - more flavor text. I had written a longer paragraph, but my computer crashed and i had to start over. Creatures that cause syndormes are immune to their own syndromes, and anything that is not otherwise specified is vulnerable. I was hoping you could cause an actual tiredness effect on the one things blood poison - thats what i was thinking when i said lethargy. Is that all, or do you need more info?
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:05 pm »

I'm not sure if you're interested, but I could generate you some weird creatures to use for this mod.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »

I'd be glad if you could, but keep in mind:

a) the first version of Tech Fortress involves colonizing a forest world. You need to kind of blend weird alien features with traits that would make a creature seem adapted to survive. For example, the "egg predator" i mentioned, while weirdly shaped and bizzare by earth standards, would be able to survive in the ecosystem because the other creature i mentioned is slower, and would make easy prey for the egg beast. The fungoid, the other creature i mentioned, would survive the way rabbits do; rapid breeding. The egg predator would have to have a population explosion to damage the fungoid in any real way, and to do so would make a good deal of the egg predators starve or maybe resort to cannibalism. The fungoid also has blood which will be poisonous to other predators, which that they will not often be attacked by other predators. The giant thing is a megabeast, and it eats the leaves off trees like a Brontosaurus, while being so big and menacing that it doesnt have to flee from predators - it can gut them with its horns. Its more like a rhinoceros, while the fungoid is like a mix between a poisonous frog and a rabbit.

b)They should have a higher power level than earth creatures, because the players will have access to railgun and laser weapons, plasma and robotics/cybernetics - even psychic powers(which i will probably design because magic makes me happy lol). Make sure that the creatures not only could survive this planet, and have a clear place in the food chain, but could be a threat in some way to an adventure mode character - a desperate, dehydrated player will often drink blood to survive, but if a player tried to do so with a fungoid, he would end up vomiting blood.

Keep that in mind, and we can really use you!
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:09 pm »

I'd be glad if you could, but keep in mind:

a) the first version of Tech Fortress involves colonizing a forest world. You need to kind of blend weird alien features with traits that would make a creature seem adapted to survive. For example, the "egg predator" i mentioned, while weirdly shaped and bizzare by earth standards, would be able to survive in the ecosystem because the other creature i mentioned is slower, and would make easy prey for the egg beast. The fungoid, the other creature i mentioned, would survive the way rabbits do; rapid breeding. The egg predator would have to have a population explosion to damage the fungoid in any real way, and to do so would make a good deal of the egg predators starve or maybe resort to cannibalism. The fungoid also has blood which will be poisonous to other predators, which that they will not often be attacked by other predators. The giant thing is a megabeast, and it eats the leaves off trees like a Brontosaurus, while being so big and menacing that it doesnt have to flee from predators - it can gut them with its horns. Its more like a rhinoceros, while the fungoid is like a mix between a poisonous frog and a rabbit.

b)They should have a higher power level than earth creatures, because the players will have access to railgun and laser weapons, plasma and robotics/cybernetics - even psychic powers(which i will probably design because magic makes me happy lol). Make sure that the creatures not only could survive this planet, and have a clear place in the food chain, but could be a threat in some way to an adventure mode character - a desperate, dehydrated player will often drink blood to survive, but if a player tried to do so with a fungoid, he would end up vomiting blood.

Keep that in mind, and we can really use you!

Well it depends on what you want. I've modified a script that generates raws for weird and relatively deadly creatures who are given traits based on an adjective and creature type.

For example, its generated a "Chopping Lion", which is a four tailed warm-blooded creature where each of it's tails ends in a deadly axe which it uses to perform natural attacks that have the same penetration and contact area as an axe attack, each of these tails can attack simultaneously too like a Hydra in vanilla can with it's multiple heads. Of course it's name can be changed to something more suitable.

Creatures come generated with their own descriptions, body plans, everything.

If you'd like I can generate a bunch for you and you can edit their names and descriptions to give them the right flavour/feel.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:59 pm »

Feels a little too human - but can the script generate megabeasts? My personal mod, Schools of Magic, could really use that. Anything else tho, it needs to be a little bit more... alien
GENERATION 28:

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 02:57:31 am »

It does generate megabeasts.

And, Alien is all in name and description, raws don't really have defining traits, they just define what a creature can do and give it a basic body plan.

For example a lion and bear have identical body plans, their shape is differentiated in the mind of play by their descriptions.

I can provide the raw materials,random creatures adhering to certain archetypes, with psychic powers, weird appendages, excretions, extracts, materials, interatactions... etc.

And you can find suitable names and niches and descriptions for ones that catch your eye if you want.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:10 pm »

The way im trying to do it is one part changing body part/plans in strange ways, and 2 to 3 parts description - I would like if you could gen a few megabeasts for me - like 10, so i can choose which ones to use for my magic mod, and i WILL be giving credit, of course - but for this I feel the creatures to be made by hand, to ensure that each and every one is perfect. Mixing up avian traits with mammal and lizard traits is only a small part - i have to plan and scrap alot of creatures befor I officially submit them here. For my other mod, it will work fine, but I want to keep these creatures made by hand. For now, at least - i might get lazy later on :P.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 02:07:57 am »

Yikes. Looks like I've been away from this thread a long time.

Been busy, but now I'm designing the magic workshops with ease. The thing I'm wondering, is how would you get a dwarf/elf/human/goblin to drink the magic fluid?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »

Same - i have many busy, as Doge would say. Glad 2 hear ur progressing well
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »

Oh, and if you make it qualify as a type of alcohol, dorfs will drink it rather than water.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 06:50:42 pm »

Yes, but that would mean a random dwarf will become a wizard/druid/warlock/cleric. Well, I guess you could lock a dwarf in a room with a stockpile solely of Angelic Elixir, but that's a little bit of a hassle.

A way to get around this might be to have a reaction in a magic workshop that produces a chair made out of a material with a magic-inducing contact syndrome. You then build the chair and assign it to the wizard-to-be and when he goes to sit on it to eat or whatever, he'll turn into a wizard (if that's how contact syndromes work, I'm not sure.) I'll have to find out a way to make it one-use, though.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 07:00:20 pm »

(if that's how contact syndromes work, I'm not sure.)
It isn't. Contact syndromes only work through contaminants.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:56 pm »

I like randomized actually, kinda like most other in game things. And of course the locked in a room thing is a very dorfy technique.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 12:19:44 am »

(if that's how contact syndromes work, I'm not sure.)
It isn't. Contact syndromes only work through contaminants.

Yeah. I get so used to the realistic-ness of DF that I forget what would be realistic to accomplish in programming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5