Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)  (Read 4531 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:17 am »

You could make the material instead be a boiling boulder, and there could be a reaction that creates the boiling boulder(the boulder has SYN_INHALE syndrome with it), then hopefully the creature would breath it in, and maybe you've got a warlock/wizard/whatever-the-reaction-is-to-do-to-the-dwarf
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 01:10:42 pm »

Yeah, I found out that method when reading about Spellcrafts. A problem I find with it though is that if you burrow everybody right next to the workshop you can convert the entire fort.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 07:14:50 pm »

Any progress on the workshop yet? This would be seriously useful to both MY mod, AND to the TechFortress mod. After all, Cyborgs should be created in laboratories. Also, has anyone else progressed on the mod? Im really just trying to coordinate it at this point, because im busy with several other things
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:39 pm »

Again, got a little busy, but I'm working on it again now. Also, I have an idea for a creature for the TechFortress mod. How about a creature called an Electro (female Electra, collectively Electrae) who has a static electric charge, that induces a syndrome similar to electrocution when you touch him bare-handed? He might be able to shoot lightning, to make him stronger against armored dwarves. No stun, no fear, no exert, etc. Perhaps some !!FUN!! things can be made from the butchering products as well.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 11:22:24 pm »

More interesting name, and make it a civ - this is a sci-fi mod, y'know, and Electro just seems a bit too generic a name. Otherwise, i love it!
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 01:49:07 am »

I came up with the name Voltaic Fiend, or perhaps Voltaic Beast.

EDIT: Being a civ, they should bring coilguns and railguns and other relatively high-tech electric things. They might also have some sort of cyborg servants they ride as mounts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:53:44 am by bloop_bleep »

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:34 pm »

Is it possible to make Voltaic Fiend/Beast just the human term for the creature? I would see if you could generate a language for the creature, and it should be called, in its native tongue... how about Ur'maliikth? Cyborg mounts is an interesting choice - i like it alot. I would also try and gear their tech a certain way - we still in the concept phase, so no real limits. And remember, at least SOME of the tech they have should be inaccesable by humans - alien tech should retain some value therefor, so if they have, for example, a Vial of Nanobots that, when consumed, turns the user into a Voltaic Cyborg - kinda like a necromancer, but the key effect is that the nanobots give you a giant increase to regeneration, so you can even regenerate in the middle of a battle, and only a death blow can really kill you easily. Or fire. I would make them actually originally biological, normal carbon-based lifeforms, which have enchanced their entire civ beyond recognition with cybernetics. They should also have castes to represent what type of tech they have - like a scientist caste with a weaker lightning attack but a massive intelligence, and a sniper caste with a powerful, but high cooldown attack. By powerful, I mean like 1 hit kills. BUT, they are also very fragile. And as you suggested, even the animals of their civ are cybernetically enchanced. Also, if they are called Voltaic Fiends, that makes em sound aggresive. So you ought to make them raiders. Is all that cool?
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:58 am »

Yeah, that sounds cool, but it sounds like those creatures would then be intelligent, which throws away both the name "Voltaic Beast" (Fiend is fine, I think) and the cool butchering products. Unless of course, there is a way for the creature to drop both its corpse and some of the !!FUN!! stuff when it dies, or maybe even allow processing the corpse at an Electrician's Workshop.

Also, I'm not sure about making an entirely new language, it seems a little too work-intensive for me. Perhaps just adopted from the human language, but tweaked to make it sound more robotic, following your origin story? I'm just dabbling in creature design.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:59 am »

This is a from scratch mod, right? I was thinking it was, so that's how I've been modding the creatures, but it occurred to me that I may have been incorrect.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »

This is a from scratch mod, right? I was thinking it was, so that's how I've been modding the creatures, but it occurred to me that I may have been incorrect.
This somehow spun out from df4s.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »

Yes, its a from scratch mod - the final  goal is to have a game designed within the DF engine, but is in depth and different enough to qualify as its own spin-off game - with tech trees implemented, and creatures that are aliens. Races are the only constant between worlds - while there might be a "native" race of intelligent creatures, a given planet will have colonies of multiple alien races. You represent a human colony on this new world - the Forest World is the first one we are designing.

No random lang generator? Too bad. In that case, do whatever - maybe base thier language changes off dwarven if you decide to do so tho - they are supposed to be descendants of a non-human race, so having a human-based lang would be not cool. Mebbe change a word here and there - words that turn up often.
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:30 pm »

Wait, there's a random language generator? Where?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »

I thought someone made one - im generlly out of the loop. If there is one than of course i knew about it, you should use it - if not, i was only guessing. :D
GENERATION 28:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 12:35:55 am »

OK, so I finished the magic thing, in the sense that the liquid is getting created and drunk and applies my test syndrome, but I haven't tested it with Schools of Magic. The reason it was taking so long was the testing; I tried to get a test syndrome working, and only after many days of failed testing did I come up with the idea that I should use a pre-existing syndrome like giant cave spider venom instead of trying to create a new one.  *self.face.meet(self.palm)*

The test syndrome works now tho, so I'll PM you a link to it soon.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2017, 02:43:19 pm »

THANK YOU SO MUCH - i will apply a few specific changes - make the Dwarven Technomancer lab, the Elven Tree Shrine, the Holy Altar for humans, and the Unholy Sigil for goblins(get ready for some serious invaders now!) Did you class the liquid as alhocholic, so dorfs will be inclined to drink it?
GENERATION 28:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5