Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)  (Read 4517 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: Forest World(TechFortress Thread)
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »

Also, if forts make them in worldgen, you will have mad towers and spellbooks - this could make it so you can hae a VERY high magic world. Of course, magics obtainable with an altar of some sort will be the most common - so Goblin Plague Warlocks will be more common than warlocks with Fireball or Psychic Assualt, and elves with Summon Wolf will be more common than those with Summon Polar Bear or Raven, and so on. I think Dorfs will only have Technomancy - but its a type of Wizards, so its high powered anyhow. Elves will have like Summon Wolf/Satyr, because those are reasonably strong so they will be a viable race - more dangerous sieges AND better playable. Gobbos should have plague at least, maybe fireball and slow as well - after all, the others have pretty strong magic too. And the Human Clerics will be either Strength Booster or Healers - thus making them more powerful as well.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:27 am »

Elves will have like Summon Wolf/Satyr, because those are reasonably strong so they will be a viable race - more dangerous sieges AND better playable. Gobbos should have plague at least, maybe fireball and slow as well - after all, the others have pretty strong magic too. And the Human Clerics will be either Strength Booster or Healers - thus making them more powerful as well.
Are you going to have DFhack? Otherwise, I don't think elves can have summon creatures(by summoned do you mean by interaction, or just a war animal?). I though this was a from scratch mod, anyway, so why are you mentioning elves and goblins?

Are there raws for this somewhere, or have none been made yet?

I've made those four creatures. Please tell me if they work for you. Paste over D4FS for testing. # denotes what I didn't do.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12765

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:08:06 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 12:19:29 am »

I'm bad at interactions, but looking at a bit of the raws I think that Summon Wolf reanimates a dead corpse and transforms it into a wolf, maybe? I'm not sure.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2017, 06:24:53 pm »

yeh, thats it. TBH, im tryina go thru the raws u sent, and i cannot figure it out - i suck at inorganics n such. Creatures and interactions less so - but i digress. If you can set up those spells, it will be really great
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:58 pm »

Any progress on creatures/magic/technology? Sry i haven't checked in, big deadline coming up - its getting pretty close to crunch. I have an outline of the tech development paths so far - only 3 at the moment, but if we can make em, we can call it good enough for version 0.1:

Cybernetics:
Focuses on inflicting syndromes on creatures, similar to the nagic stuff bleep_bloop has been working on for me - however, better types of cyborg can be developed. Some syndromes may only work on animals, so the nanobot fluid for Enhanced War Dogs will not create humans with enhanced abilities. This tech path will leave the creature vulnerable to hacking - hackers will be a special syndrome, necromancer-type thing that can be learned by adventurers, and it lets you do damage to any cyborg creatures - but it will have no effect on humans or biological creatures. Other than vulnerability to hackers - who should, if possible, have the POWER tag so they take over civs - there should be a custom material that does extra damage to robots and cyborgs - EMP bullets which will have a material force multiplier of at least X3. This will be custom railgun/coilgun ammo. The second path, other than cybernetics and robotics(maybe make it so you can also craft robo-minions?), will be that of biotech. This will involve physical and mental advancements on a biological level - while cyborgs end up with things like metal body parts and enhanced strength, bio-enhanced individuals will be able to recieve animalistic traits, such as the head of a lion or reptilian claws, as well as hyperdensified muscles and similar things. (is it possible, by the way, to make it so just one body part of a creature is made of a specific material?) This will also include Psionics, the higher tier abilities gained from bio-enhancement. Abilities can include psychic assaults that wrack an enemies head with pain, telekinetic attacks, and even Pyrokinesis. Biotech will have two paths - after you have achieved relative expertise with enhancing humans physical traits, you can either go down the route of Psionics or Abominations. Abominations will be monsters under your control created by your mad scientists - at top level, there may even be Megabeast strength monsters. These creatures might be a little harder to control than you think, however...

Lastly, there will be energy tech - working with plasma, lasers, electricity and magnetism. At the lowest level you have railguns and the like, but you can move on to things like a Plasma Cannon which will fire Plasma Bolts that deal high damage to all biological life forms(all biological carbon based lifeforms have a 2X multiplier vs. Plasma, which will proly for now just be a metal, maybe one with a low melt temperature like quicksilver. Or the Mega Railgun, a giant ballista-sized weapon that fires huge chunks of metal capable of killing the most fierce of beasts. Or (if thhis is possible) the Beam Cannon, which fires a continuous... beam... of energy that decimates foes(ideally like a normal crossbow, but take only a fraction of a second to shoot, so you can actually hit with it 10 times for each time an enemy can shoot you. Other uses of energy tech will include Power Armor and Forcefield Projectors, which will be equipable items that give you much more defense than standard flak/kevlar gear.

So - any thoughts? And any progress on the magic workshops?
GENERATION 28:

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:12 am »

I'm bad at interactions, but looking at a bit of the raws I think that Summon Wolf reanimates a dead corpse and transforms it into a wolf, maybe? I'm not sure.
What raws? Are there raws in a download I didn't know about?

Skelepound, will the creatures I made be good enough?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 06:56:22 pm »

Dont worry, thats just a personal exchange between me and bleep_bloop - hes also helping me with my Schools of Magic mod. All references to magic/elves and such are references to THAT mod. sometimes that stuff ends up here. And no worries, as long as your creatures a) are adapted to a forest environment and b) are distinctly alien, they should be acceptable. Try and think within an ecosystem, making predators to hunt the herbivores you create, and apex predators to hunt the lesser meat eaters. Also, non carbon-based lifeforms are a win, if they arent something like "stone lion". This is a high tech, space colonization game in the DF engine.
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2017, 05:43:14 pm »

Just noticed now that you sent those creatures pikachu! Gonna take a look at them now, and tell ya what i think
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »

Holy shit pikachu17, you NAILED it! The raws look great - i heven't tested to see if they work, but you did an almost flawless job. One petty complaint - you wrote "like an egg lol" in the description, which... well, it doesnt quite work. Otherwise, 11 out of 10 man, great work!
GENERATION 28:

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »

Wow... I had no idea I did such a good job... Thanks for making my day! :D
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!