Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 21434 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:30:59 am »

Well, I wanted to brag about my Ruger .380 Compact Carry LCP pistol, but I couldn't find a gun thread with the search function, so I am making one! This is the place for the discussion of guns, weapons, and tactics relating to these types of things. I'd like to keep the thread calm and non-political, more of a discussion of the pros and cons of various weapons rather than a discussion of why you would need one. Materials and not morals, folks.

Anyways, I bought the aforementioned Ruger for $275 USD, and I've fired 100 ish rounds through it. For a short little pistol, it's fairly accurate at 21 feet which is the distance a melee armed opponent can close before you can draw, unsafety and fire a firearm. With a six round mag, I'm quite easily capable of putting over half into a man-sized target even whilst 'quick-drawing'. (It's not a thing, Hollywood lied to you. Quickdraw cuts your accuracy to absolute shit.) Aiming steadily and without haste, I can easily hit all six times, though not with a close spread or anything. I would absolutely stop an aggressor though.

I'm wanting to get a 12 gauge Savage brand shotgun with a pistol grip and stock for my wife, then maybe modify it with a fore-grip instead of a standard pump-grip, for additional stability. She's a little woman, and I want her to be able to handle the gun well. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:19 am »

Wasn't there another guns thread somewhere? Or maybe that was just airsoft.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:52:56 am »

I'm wanting to get a 12 gauge Savage brand shotgun with a pistol grip and stock for my wife, then maybe modify it with a fore-grip instead of a standard pump-grip, for additional stability. She's a little woman, and I want her to be able to handle the gun well. :)

Is it this one? A friend of mine used to own one, pretty much exactly as it's shown there, that he'd use for shooting at bottles and lawn ornaments in his backyard. It's super comfortable, and it looks pretty damn good to boot. The only complaint I remember him having is that, despite it being marketed as "maintainable," it was a bit of a pain in the ass to clean.

It's still a damn good shotgun, especially for that price. I've never really been big into shotguns, but my little 20 gauge is decently fun to shoot and I sure can't complain about the price of the shells.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:55:38 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »

Shotguns are always lots of fun to shoot.

I'm very fond of my Panther DPMS AR15. One of these days, I'm going to go through the rounds needed to learn to shoot it both eyes open. Unfortunately, I'm living in California, so my poor rifle is just sitting in storage.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »

There was a gun thread some time back, but no harm in starting a new one. I moved from a rifle-hunting state to a shotgun state, so I might be interested in opinions on a good gun for 20-gauge rifled slugs.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »

Is it this one? A friend of mine used to own one, pretty much exactly as it's shown there, that he'd use for shooting at bottles and lawn ornaments in his backyard. It's super comfortable, and it looks pretty damn good to boot. The only complaint I remember him having is that, despite it being marketed as "maintainable," it was a bit of a pain in the ass to clean.

It's still a damn good shotgun, especially for that price. I've never really been big into shotguns, but my little 20 gauge is decently fun to shoot and I sure can't complain about the price of the shells.

That is indeed the one we were eyeing. I like shotguns alright. I wanted to get a 18" coachgun with an over-under setup, but I'm currently non-solvent insofar as cash is concerned.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:31:46 pm »

I enjoy owning a few firearms myself. I'm more interested in military weapons that span roughly from 1900 to the mid 60's right now. I did want to point out an interesting youtube channel for you guys as well.

Forgotten Weapons
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »

(It's not a thing, Hollywood lied to you. Quickdraw cuts your accuracy to absolute shit.)

No it is a thing. But it is more like a trick than good gunplay.

---

Also since this is a thread of experts.

Why was Semiautomatic ever looked down upon? Apparently there was some pushback involved...

It makes more sense for people to be against automatic cars since at least manual has some benefit of more control...

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »

(It's not a thing, Hollywood lied to you. Quickdraw cuts your accuracy to absolute shit.)

Also since this is a thread of experts.

Why was Semiautomatic ever looked down upon? Apparently there was some pushback involved...

It makes more sense for people to be against automatic cars since at least manual has some benefit of more control...

Well, calling me an expert would be a stretch.

The push against semi-autos is a mix between countries. I know some just didn't trust them at all with being very unreliable and somewhat unwieldy for the early models. Some were of the opinion of what worked for me works for the younger generation and we don't need all this new unreliable mechanisms in our army.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:33 am »

There were concerns about maintainability too, as I recall. It is a more complicated system and not everyone could easily see a gunsmith, either because it was a journey or because it was expensive. I'm not sure if they actually were less reliable and/or harder to fix than the revolvers and lever action rifles common at the time, but the perception is all you need.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:45 am »

Well, calling me an expert would be a stretch.

This, in my case also.

There were concerns about maintainability too, as I recall. It is a more complicated system and not everyone could easily see a gunsmith, either because it was a journey or because it was expensive. I'm not sure if they actually were less reliable and/or harder to fix than the revolvers and lever action rifles common at the time, but the perception is all you need.

This. IIRC most early Semiauto guns were gas blowback design, which uses the gases produced by firing to push the slide back, and a spring to push it forward and chamber the next round. Granted this is only a few more moving parts, but moving parts eventually fail, and there are quite a bit fewer moving parts in a revolver mechanism than in a semiauto pistol. My Ruger breaks down into (if you get really serious about it) 37 some pieces, according to the manual, whereas I've seen revolvers with a number of pieces in the single digits (not counting screws and stuff, I guess.)

I enjoy owning a few firearms myself. I'm more interested in military weapons that span roughly from 1900 to the mid 60's right now. I did want to point out an interesting youtube channel for you guys as well.

Forgotten Weapons

Nice channel. My dream gun is a modernized M14 semiautomatic battle rifle. There is just SO MUCH I love about the M14. :) It's a perfect civilian defense rifle, because it's not insanely overkill for hunting, but it's badass enough that you could walk into a battle and not feel like you were totally screwed.
He's fucking with us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:03:07 pm »

While I am not a gun person, I feel like I should PTW anyway in case I later become a gun person.  Or just because it's interesting.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 08:14:42 pm »

While I am not a gun person, I feel like I should PTW anyway in case I later become a gun person.  Or just because it's interesting.

Well, guns are interesting. If you like mechanics, firearms as a whole has a huge array of different mechanisms. If you like history, well weapons are usually at the forefront of history. If you like technology... you can see where this is going.

King of Candy Island.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 08:25:18 pm »

British person here.
I envy your gun laws, in a sense. I'd love to have a pistol or two.

Unfortunately, I'll have to stick to my Mosin Nagant, though that's always great fun to shoot as well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »

If I could fill my room with historical firearms, I would.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18