Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 21465 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 10:26:24 pm »

I would love to have an original Russian TT-33, personally, but they're apparently not exactly the most durable handgun on the market and it's very difficult to find here in the USA. Maybe they're more common in former Soviet countries?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 04:22:17 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »

Wait, you're allowed to own a Mosin-Nagant in the UK?

That is so cool.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »

Wait, you're allowed to own a Mosin-Nagant in the UK?

That is so cool.

Yup!

It's a bolt-action rifle, which makes it legal. Anything larger than a .22 can't be semi-automatic (and nothing can be automatic), ignoring shotguns which are in their own category for the most part.

My rifle is a genuine old soviet moist nugget - M44 carbine, stamped with a hammer and sickle. I think it was made in Izhevsk in 1945 (off the top of my head; I'd have to check again to be sure).

I shoot old surplus russian ammo through it as well, as it used to be very cheap. Unfortunately supplies have dried up, what with the sanctions against Russia.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

PTW because guns

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 08:02:03 pm »

and nothing can be automatic

I thought Paintball guns and BB guns could be full automatic.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 08:03:48 pm »

Those aren't firearms.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:05 pm »

Those aren't firearms.
They aren't?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 08:34:54 pm »

Those aren't firearms.
They aren't?
Not in the UK, they aren't.

From my understanding paintball guns count as airguns, which are not under the same laws as firearms such as rifles and shotguns - if they're below 12 ft lbs for a rifle or 6 ft lbs for a pistol. Above that level of power you need a fire arms certificate for rifles, and are shit out of luck for pistols (pistols effectively illegal in the uk mainland with a few exceptions). Never seen an automatic air rifle for sale here and reckon they're almost certainly illegal.

Airsoft guns are airsoft and thus not firearms. Nowadays they have to be made to look obviously false, in bright colours and the like. The only problem that can arise with those is if they look like a genuine gun, which requires belonging to certain airsoft sites. I think you can get automatic airsoft guns, but their maximum power has to be lower than than the maximum strength of a semi-automatic one.
That said I've never been involved with airsoft so I might not be 100% accurate with this.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:13 pm »

Those aren't firearms.
They aren't?
No they aren't, some large pellet guns are considered firearms through. Mainly anything capable to drop a deer in a single hit isn't a toy.

Ninj'd
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »

So, uh, question:

Is the use of a knife actually feasible for direct combat?

I'm not wondering if it's legally defensible (I already know the answer is "no"), but would a knife make for a good direct melee weapon?

They're always depicted as the go-to melee in a lot of shooters, and I was just wondering if there was any truth to that outside of "most soldiers carry a knife as a tool and it doubles as a weapon anyway".

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:33 pm »

Is it not legally defensible in any circumstance?  Huh.  What do you mean by "knife"?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »

Yeah knives are pretty outright dangerous to be stabbed and slashed so they are definitely feasible, like one of the main reasons three inch and larger blade are regulated in places is because any person without training can stab you in the vitals with them. also what do you mean legally defensible? I've used a knife to defend myself before when people jumped me before and it was considered perfectly fine by the Michigan Staties.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »

Yeah knives are pretty outright dangerous to be stabbed and slashed so they are definitely feasible, like one of the main reasons three inch and larger blade are regulated in places is because any person without training can stab you in the vitals with them. also what do you mean legally defensible? I've used a knife to defend myself before when people jumped me before and it was considered perfectly fine by the Michigan Staties.
....Yeah, I was gonna say.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »

Knives are good weapons.

Don't let the fact that they aren't that good... against someone with platemail and a bastard sword... As evidence to the contrary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18