Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 21481 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »

Living out on my own, I'm thinking I should own a firearm or at least a baseball

You forgot "bat"... Though I guess a thrown baseball could inflict a good bit of damage if it hits the head...

That actually reminds me, extra question: Are non-grenade throwing weapons any good in a (non-fictional) fight and why/why not?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:43 pm »

Like knives, they're better than nothing but not particularly good.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:00 pm »

Like knives, they're better than nothing but not particularly good.

I am seriously wondering where this anti-knife is coming from. Where the world do you live Strife26? There are reasons why the military doesn't carry swords anymore (Ok they still do :P)

As for how good a throwning weapon is in a fight?

MOST throwing weapons are designed to be thrown but also to be more then capable of fighting at the same time (You can easily use Throwing Axes, Pilums, Javalins, and throwing daggers)... The only throwing weapons not designed for this dual purpose are typically not designed to kill directly or at all (Darts, Shrukens, Glass eggs, Caltrops)

But going into the category of the throwing spear family... You have a ranged attack and a weapon with a bit of reach.

However... that said... carrying around a bundle of throwing spears is kind of a huge red light... But I guess if you actually got into a fight it would do pretty decently... It is still a pretty big hypothetical and needs context.

It would be like gauging a epee in an actual fight. Against unarmored foes it is just about the best melee weapon you could get your hands on (Super fast, ultra deadly, and its range is actually impressive). Every weapon has its niche.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:05:08 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:37 pm »

Throwing weapons adequate enough to kill people are only viable in a military scenario. Effective throwing weapons have never been acceptable for self-defense because they're difficult to conceal. Except for like, a staff sling I guess, but again, terrible for self-defense because of how much time it takes to deploy.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2017, 12:04:31 am »

you could just use a normal sling. that's enough to kill someone dead or break their bones at minimum. would take a lot of practice though.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2017, 12:04:55 am »

I present to you a forgotten innovation of ancient Korean military design, the Chongtong. It is essentially a fin-stabilized missile fired out of a cannon or mortar.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2017, 12:12:54 am »

I present to you a forgotten innovation of ancient Korean military design, the Chongtong. It is essentially a fin-stabilized missile fired out of a cannon or mortar.

nice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2017, 07:13:23 am »

I am seriously wondering where this anti-knife is coming from. Where the world do you live Strife26? There are reasons why the military doesn't carry swords anymore (Ok they still do :P)
Swords are ceremonial, its bayonets and spades these days. Even so, not so much.

As for how good a throwning weapon is in a fight?
MOST throwing weapons are designed to be thrown but also to be more then capable of fighting at the same time (You can easily use Throwing Axes, Pilums, Javalins, and throwing daggers)... The only throwing weapons not designed for this dual purpose are typically not designed to kill directly or at all (Darts, Shrukens, Glass eggs, Caltrops)
Pilum was not designed for CQC, it was designed to be thrown and rendered useless so as to stop it being used by enemies in return. Javelins are rather noticeable, and one who throws their knife now has no knife - not to mention, this takes a lot of skill and practice. In terms of shock, concealability and so on, I imagine the best non-firearm weapon would be the humble sling and shot. Doesn't exactly take any measure of wealth or expertise to acquire one nor practice with one and fits in any pocket, and in most places in the world owning strips of leather or rope isn't illegal

But going into the category of the throwing spear family... You have a ranged attack and a weapon with a bit of reach.
However... that said... carrying around a bundle of throwing spears is kind of a huge red light... But I guess if you actually got into a fight it would do pretty decently... It is still a pretty big hypothetical and needs context.
Sounds like you're assembling a barbarian warband rofl
Personally every Friday night I never leave the Scythian warcamp so I can empathize

It would be like gauging a epee in an actual fight. Against unarmored foes it is just about the best melee weapon you could get your hands on (Super fast, ultra deadly, and its range is actually impressive). Every weapon has its niche.
Epee is a sports sword meant to minimize risk of injury

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2017, 07:24:47 am »

Pilum was not designed for CQC

I am pretty sure if you stabbed someone with it, it would hurt. Which is the difference between it and say, a grenade... where you are not better armed in melee for using it.

Most throwing weapons it isn't ideal to fight with them. They are often not well balanced for melee combat.

Epee is a sports sword meant to minimize risk of injury

Well modern Epee are.

Compare Fencing Sabre with a Cavalry Sabre. (Ahh Foil, Sabre, Epee).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:29:56 am by Neonivek »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 07:36:57 am »

Well modern Epee are.

I guess you mean rapier or smallsword. Épée is just french for sword, and in English specifically refers to the sporting weapon.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2017, 08:31:28 am »

Meh I probably thought of some sort of other rapier type weapon.

Since, looking it up, the actual weapon class of Epee (Epee Du Combat) or whatever... Was a shorter broader sword.

And even when sharpened I am not sure the Epee is an outright deadly weapon...

According to Wikipedia what I was likely thinking of was the Espada.

I guess you mean rapier

Yeah... I used to think Rapier was a class of swords that included the Epee, Foil, and Sabre.

Yet while the Epee is based off of a specific weapon... Only the Foil and Sabre actually were weapons and are not discounted under their modern definition.

Dang research! revealing that I was wrong for years! Dang book that was wrong!

---

Edit: Nope apparently the weapon I was thinking of was the Foil. Don't let yourself be stabbed by a foil folks! Why do I confuse the Foil and the Rapier/Espada?

(Also a LOT of people would pay a lot of money to hear me say "I am wrong" :P which apparently is something I never admit)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:46:50 am by Neonivek »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 10:16:18 am »

Pilum was not designed for CQC

I am pretty sure if you stabbed someone with it, it would hurt. Which is the difference between it and say, a grenade...

As JC Denton so eloquently notes: "A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2017, 11:25:46 am »

I am pretty sure if you stabbed someone with it, it would hurt. Which is the difference between it and say, a grenade... where you are not better armed in melee for using it.
The spearhead is designed to bend beyond usefulness upon the first impact, when thrown. Many things will hurt if you stab someone with them, that does not make them viable weapons.

Most throwing weapons it isn't ideal to fight with them. They are often not well balanced for melee combat.
Because you're not supposed to, because that's not what they're for.

Well modern Epee are.
Pre-sports epee were dueling weapons, not much improvement from there. Fencing is by design a civilian sport of skill and control where if people are getting hurt they're either very unlucky or very unskilled, thus there can't really be comparison between a light, flexible fencing sabre and a 1796 heavy cavalry sabre
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One that's designed to kill you has more meat to it, much more meat and edge

I don't mean to be over semantic but one must generally avoid high capacity assault rapiers with folding handguards and tactical bucklers at all time

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 11:28:43 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »

Well Loud Whispers given I admitted I was wrong earlier >_> I don't know why you corrected me on what I already corrected myself

Anyhow yes, fighting with a thrown weapon in melee isn't ideal, but it is not only better than nothing... But it isn't that bad unless... well... you are fighting an armed and armored opponent.

Which is why these hypothetical "how good is this as a weapon?" is just weird.

I mean there are very few weapons where there is a huge question of the validity of them as a weapon (Ignoring using things not normally used as weapons... that would be an interesting discussion).

---

Actually how good is the throwing hammer as a weapon? The Ball and rope thing...

I've seen it but it seems inaccurate. Making me think it was used as a weapon but only in the "Looks cool" category.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:55:08 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18