Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The concept of Adventure Mode.  (Read 2229 times)

Paradox Edge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The concept of Adventure Mode.
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »

I believe that Adventure Mode should include ALL fortress related crafting and such. I have never been able to play fortress mode due to me being too scatterbrained to handle all the stuff I need to do. However I DO love playing Adventure mode. And I think it would be... LOGICAL that you can build your own fort by hand in Adventure mode. Because why wouldn't you be able to?

TLDR: I want to be able to do ANYTHING in adventure mode. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

I don't know how many times this has been asked or requested or whatever. But I want to post a new thread about it so I can see what other people think about it. And gather information on what is being planned. Because to me, adventure mode is everything. I love adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The concept of Adventure Mode.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »

The game's gradually moving in that direction. But of course, it's not as simple as you say (is it ever in DF?) as dwarves and their fortresses are only a tiny part of the world. You wouldn't have elf adventurers digging underground fortresses, just as you wouldn't have dwarves singing tree houses to life. And of course "special tools just for dwarves" wouldn't be good enough.

Once it's possible to run all the sites in the game (And not just in a "fake dwarf fortress in a tree" way), then yeah it would be great to have the functionality to seamlessly build sites.

There are time differences between modes of course, and I like the way the current site building in adventurer handles that.

--edit Oh, and I assume you know, but yeah this has been suggested many times, so much so that there are very good mods which add lots of extra functions to Adventurer. They're good enough for now (and lots of fun).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:36:35 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:11:17 pm »

One big difference is that there's 7 of the dwarves and only 1 and a handful of companions of you, its time investment just building a moderate house using normal building controls nevermind full fortress function is time consuming and only 'fast' because fortress mode more or less runs in fast foward at all times where every minute / two minutes or so equates to a day.

Scenarios is when i think the line will get really blurry, since the concept that you could 'found' your own "embark" as a adventurer based scenario bearing on the startup phase of fortress mode and later have people recognise it as a player fortress once suitably established or designated over a large plot of land while still in adventurer would be strange.

Suddenly swapping out mid adventure mode to fortress mode in order to control your retired former hero as a citizen, retire the site and then pick up where you left off with the site you just made being your home/rulings is one of the mind boggling possiblities then bring back all the loot you gathered to restart in fortress mode & divvy it up and out between your populace. Make a 1 man peddler trading run to a local market to stop the fortress dying in the early stages, buy some trinkets or livestock for civilians (or just steal stuff)

A elf in a straw cowboy hat approaches you while you are resting after a giant hunt and tells you a rumour - Preesten Gar'veen: "Law-maker your settlement has been attacked by the vile forces of evil! 10 civilians and 30 attackers will killed in the defence, the defenders won, they are encamped in the fields of bludgeoning"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:13:55 pm by FantasticDorf »

Paradox Edge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:21 am »

I just want to make the legendary adamantine 2-hand sword of kringledoof. Adorned with spikes of the bones of the waffleknaff the bush titan god, man.

And... I'm not one for modding games. Not unless it's literally a ''click and it'll do it for you'' sort of situation. I don't trust myself enough to mod.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:53:06 am »

I think shonai is suggesting that you try out already made adventurer mods - not that you make your own.

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:36:14 pm »

Paraphrasing, but Toady has said that he intends to seamlessly combine Fort and Adventure mode
Maybe he meant something like that? I'd also like to make a fort in adventure mode, I'm just worried about how long it could take to do menial tasks like moving a rock to a workshop, but I suppose the wait system could make it more bearable
But yeah, with Wanderer's Friend or one of it's derivatives you could make an adamantine sword and use who or whatevers' materials to decorate, the problem is getting them if they require mining or the like
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:39:50 pm by malistaticy »
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »

We're getting there, I can already become an amazing bone carver faster than a dorf in a mood if I kill a big enough beastie. I just can't wait till I can make civilians in the town I took over mine for ore, make me steel, so I can pick up the metal, hammer away until I've got a full masterwork suit, and emblazen images of myself striking down enemies all over everything.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:51:39 am »

Consider this as a possibility:

In adventure mode, you can become a master of a site, either by founding a new one or taking one over.  What if you could select an option from the menu, "enter fort mode" whenever you were in a site that you controlled?  And when in fort mode, you could choose any permanent resident and enter adventure mode as them?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:33:31 am »

Consider this as a possibility:

In adventure mode, you can become a master of a site, either by founding a new one or taking one over.  What if you could select an option from the menu, "enter fort mode" whenever you were in a site that you controlled?  And when in fort mode, you could choose any permanent resident and enter adventure mode as them?
Both sound good. We're almost there with Adventurer, albeit with wooden huts as our 'kingdom'.

The only issue with immediately taking over a fortress character (as opposed to waiting two weeks) is that it becomes easy to "cheat" by killing yourself as the annoying noble, mooding kid with impossible needs or psychopathic trouble-maker who keeps accidentally killing people.

Not a big deal really, but I guess it's something that'll be considered carefully before it goes in.

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »

I think it would work better if you could only control the lineage of the original founding adventure character.
That way, assuming your adventurer's related flesh and blood isn't killed off in some way (or if his/her heirs just fail to find a spouse), you can always have someone to switch back to adv mode to, even after the original adventurer is dead.
If the lineage IS killed off, I dunno what can be done. Maybe take over the heredity whoever the current mayor/king is?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 04:38:41 pm »

I think it would work better if you could only control the lineage of the original founding adventure character.
That way, assuming your adventurer's related flesh and blood isn't killed off in some way (or if his/her heirs just fail to find a spouse), you can always have someone to switch back to adv mode to, even after the original adventurer is dead.
If the lineage IS killed off, I dunno what can be done. Maybe take over the heredity whoever the current mayor/king is?
Are you suggesting limiting the playing of a df world to a single family? What a waste of a world! Falls quite a way short of the vision of creating a unique world and being able to play in a variety of roles throughout the world.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 05:27:30 pm »

Given the ability to "do a Genghis Kahn" and make most of the world's population1 your descendants, eventually, you're going to be rewarded for your efforts by the limits being far less restrictive...

1 At least of your initially chosen race. But there are ways I can think of to get around even that limit...

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:06:40 pm »

Are you suggesting limiting the playing of a df world to a single family? What a waste of a world! Falls quite a way short of the vision of creating a unique world and being able to play in a variety of roles throughout the world.

I meant only for the fort the original adventurer created. You'd be able to go back to creating any adventurer in any part of the world by retiring the fort, a-la current vanilla method

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:13:11 pm by malistaticy »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:21:13 am »

I had an idea similar to this, but instead of genetic lineage, it would use "group loyalty".  Similar to how in fort mode you could have "visitors" and "citizens", adventure mode parties would have both temporary members who travel with you for personal reasons and true companions that are loyal to your group.  You would be able to switch to any loyal member of a group you had control over.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 02:07:23 am »

I had an idea similar to this, but instead of genetic lineage, it would use "group loyalty".  Similar to how in fort mode you could have "visitors" and "citizens", adventure mode parties would have both temporary members who travel with you for personal reasons and true companions that are loyal to your group.  You would be able to switch to any loyal member of a group you had control over.
Yeah, this would be nice, combined with controls to actually control your party (your loyal members) like a real rpg party.

'Wait here, don't follow me into the river, dont't attack the giant elephants while I'm sneaking up behind them...' gets old after a while.

Members arguing, fighting, getting into bar fights and killing people while you watch helplessly is a lot of fun though, so wouldn't want absolute control.
Pages: [1] 2