Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures and Syndromes  (Read 510 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Creatures and Syndromes
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »

Okay - final question before my mod will be ready for V.1, does anyone know how to make a creaure start out affected by a syndrome, or make a creature inflict a SPECIFC syndrome. I've added like 45 spells, each seperated into a different RAW(thus forcing you to learn spells seperately), and i want to add non-aggro semi-megabeasts who appear at worldgen, and can teach spells to creatures or write magic books - having lots of them will make it so that many books get written, and lots of spells become available - and lots of creatures end up becoming wizards or druids or whatever. Its the best way of making sure that at least half of the spells i've written are available in the game - and more if you increase the mega-percentage. But i digress; anyone know how to do that?
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures and Syndromes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »

So far all i can find is creatures that spread magic through attacks - but i was hoping for a less violent way? Actual TEACHING? I might just make it attack based though - might not have a choice.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:08:15 pm »

also - how do you make an ability one use only? Like, if a necromancer could only cast raise dead once in his entire life(i need it for a different spell)

Sometimes im great at modding, but somedays... well, im like THIS.
GENERATION 28:

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:22 am »

1. Not possible
2. No, no teaching, and they won't use attacks in worldgen, only when they are currently loaded in dwarf or adventure mode
3. You can't, really, though the syndrome stacking junk introduced with the inebriation system could've introduced some funny stuff

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »

DAMMIT X 3!!! Thats a MAJOR issue for my whole wizard system - i can't have wizards running around with an army of Frost Wyrms, thats just way too OP. sigh. Someone said it WAS possible, tho, to make it one use only? Are you sure it cant be done?
GENERATION 28:

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:49:15 am »

Creatures can teach through attacks in worldgen.  Not regular interactions, but SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION, like werewolf bites; Fear the Night used this to make secrets more prolific.

Your single-epic-pet idea isn't going to work.  There is only one way for creatures to produce minions in worldgen, and that is necromancy, which has no limits.

If you don't care about worldgen, you can give the wizard a self-targeting ability that gives them the actual animation spell, which will prevent them from using it in worldgen.  You can then let them animate corpses during gameplay and give it no cooldown so they can never use it again.  Or, you can make the summoned creature die after a certain amount of time, ensuring that they can only have one at a time.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »

i ended up doing the special attack interaction and adding in "spellbeasts", giants that teach magic... with the power of their FISTS! Lore wise, it is the only collaboration between the forces of Hell, the Gods, and the Forces of the forests. They all wanted to spread their teachings amongst men and dwarves and elves and goblins, and combined their powers to create the Spellbeasts. Those who survived their onslaught are deemed worthy, and gain magical powers. Those who dont - well, they die, obviously.
GENERATION 28:

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »

Good stuff!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »

Sry, the PRIMORDIALS, gods , and Forces. They cannot "teach" Unholy magic.
GENERATION 28: