Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simfarm - a distant memory of an undocumented (?) exploit.  (Read 2098 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Simfarm - a distant memory of an undocumented (?) exploit.
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:21:16 pm »

So, that game used to be the bees kness, and I remembered I accidentally found an exploit as a kid that I've not found documented anywhere yet. The exploit allowed you to never ever again have to bother with pesticides, herbicides and the such on a field.
The strategy was rather simple, just schedule several sucessive (5-6 each, maybe more I don't remember) sprays of the toxics on the field. You'd end up with a X graded harvest because of all the chemicals but once the toxicity went off the field would never develop diseases, pests and such again. Only condition was it to be a non-replanting crop such as oranges, almonds, apples and strawberries. Replanting the field seemed to nullify the effect.
I recall clearly that this method worked without fail, it seems I probably made something overflow somewhere in the field code. Now I feel like hunting for a copy and testing it, but might have been a bug exclusive to the specific build I had back in the time.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simfarm - a distant memory of an undocumented (?) exploit.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »

The only thing I remember about this game was crashing flying the plane.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:46 pm »

Which you can still do with Pilota.

Zipped copies are out there, Djohaal. If you had a floppy drive and were near me I'd loan you my physical copy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:37 pm »

Not sure about the legality of uploading it, but I do happen to have a copy of a zip file.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:12:38 pm »

I think I found it in the usual place for abandonware. It's also not too expensive to buy.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:02:13 am »

Was it actually possible to land?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:37 am »

I remember simfarm... A long time ago, that was.  I do with they would re-make SimEarth though.  It was a fun, yet deeply flawed game.

I remember starting massive cow breeding operations in SimFarm.  Back when Maxis still existed :(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:20 am »

I remember simfarm... A long time ago, that was.  I do with they would re-make SimEarth though.  It was a fun, yet deeply flawed game.

I remember starting massive cow breeding operations in SimFarm.  Back when Maxis still existed :(

Nobody remembers Sim Isle though, or Sim Tunes.  I had both though.

My most favorite was probably Sim Ant.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:55:55 am »

I think the best thing about Sim Ant and Sim Earth, where the books you got with them, that taught you so much about ants and planet formation. As a kid I think I got more enjoyment out of the books than the games.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 04:21:12 pm »

Sim isle was buggy as hell, but a very nice game. I found the game on that "play old dos games online" thingy and I assume a coppy is easy to find. Braving the game's horrendous UI is another business tho
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:13:33 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:48:24 am »

I feel really dumb, but I could not find any download or buy links on that page...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:19 am »

Sim isle was buggy as hell, but a very nice game. I found the game on that "play old dos games online" thingy and I assume a coppy is easy to find. Braving the game's horrendous UI is another business tho

I had a windows copy on CD.  I have never figured out how to play it, and would honestly just play sim park or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:18 am »

I feel really dumb, but I could not find any download or buy links on that page...
Top of the page. Also https://indiegamestand.com/store/1183/pilota/

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 04:01:18 pm »

I had a windows copy on CD.  I have never figured out how to play it, and would honestly just play sim park or something.

Its UI is so absurdly horrendous it seems like they were trying very hard to make something totally shitty on purpose. The game idea was good.

Also, tadpoles.