Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sovereignty: Crown of Kings  (Read 1014 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:22:41 am »

I didn't find a topic for this, so yeah... Sovereignty is a fantasy strategy game that has been long in development. It finally released, been playing EA for a while.

The game features strategic map and tactical combat map in the spirit of Panzer General etc. Armies led by heroes can be taken to tactical combat, while armies without heroes must be autoresolved in combat. This sounds weird, but is actually an interesting scarcity resource meaning you can't minmax all combats. The nations are divided among humans and non-humans. Non-humans (elves, dwarves, giants, orcs) are generally more powerful than humies, but lack numbers. They might have quite powerful units, but they are limited in number in addition to being expensive. Diplomacy system is basic, the real stuff is about combat.

Different nations have pretty interesting units. Dwarves are stereotypically tough with technological stuff like firearms and flamethrowers, elves are swift and superior, there is a faction with dragonriders etc. Many nations have interesting gimmicks, like a necromantic cult with really cheap and almost useless cultist troops. They really shine with a dark magic hero, tho, who can sacrifice a basic unit of yours to kill an enemy unit or turn a fallen basic unit into an undead.

You can develop your provinces with buildings that provide bonuses, including some providing global bonuses. All realms have their special victory conditions. For example, a merchant realm might win by propping up a puppet empire and earning money through trade, rather than conquest.

In my opinion, the game is interesting and has potential, but is not THE fantasy strategy game. I think the developers deserve nice sales, tho, since I think the concept could be ironed out and refined for the future.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Sovereignty: Crown of Kings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:00:40 am »

Its not bad, as you said it definitely needs some ironing, I did a campaign with the militant dwarf faction which was pretty fun.

It definitely suffers from "Army spam" though, where battles don't seem decisive in the least and it gets exceptionally tiresome, one of my rivals in my Cor Vilaad game was Cragenwaste and they literally had a full stack army in every single one of their provinces and it just got so tiresome to even auto the battles with them, and no matter how hard I beat the hell out of them they still had to pick fights with me.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:00 am »

Oh man I'd forgotten all about this, gonna have to dive back in if it's finished.  I really digged the huge variety of victory conditions for different factions.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:28:04 am »

It definitely suffers from "Army spam" though, where battles don't seem decisive in the least and it gets exceptionally tiresome, one of my rivals in my Cor Vilaad game was Cragenwaste and they literally had a full stack army in every single one of their provinces and it just got so tiresome to even auto the battles with them, and no matter how hard I beat the hell out of them they still had to pick fights with me.

AI loves militia-tier units and spams them everywhere when it has the money. This is especially true with the Boruvian Empire who has full stacks of militia with little else running around. I guess it works as a way to take and hold territory, though, but is a little annoying.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:38:57 am »

Urgh, so sad to see that it's got such rubbish reviews. I absolutely loved the idea of it, but all the EA reviews said it was probably best off waiting for.

A shame that it's still a bit of a mess released - I hope they get it fixed before the negative publicity downs them. I feel that especially with this kinda game, people are willing to forgive a lot, so for it to be so bad is such a shame.

If anyone's feeling helpful, please post if it gets to a much more playable state - I always forget about these things.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:58:50 am »

It is completely playable in my opinion, other than the cavalry movement bug that will be fixed in the next patch.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »

I wish the AI was better. My experience with the game is basically just playing as the elves so far, and with a little knowledge of how to guerilla warfare and their good units, you can easily wreck pretty much every army, or at least escape without death in every battle.

Master of the Hunt with overrun promotion, and a few archers, all I would have to do is weaken each enemy with an arrow volley, then swoop in with master of the hunt. Each kill resets some movement and attack, so I would slaughter entire armies with only a 4 unit insurgency. If the enemy actually made use of other than the cheapest units, that strategy in particular would be countered, sure. In battles the AI often just shield walls against the side of the map in presumed fear allowing you to pick off the entire thing from afar. If they would just use their cavalry to charge me, I would take casualties if not outright lose.

I really like the game, the interface seems unrefined at first but allows you to do whatever you need with a little familiarity. The AI is just terrible, there's no real challenge even if everyone in the world hates you.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:03:43 pm by Rakonas »