Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More drugs, hormones, pheromones  (Read 1320 times)

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More drugs, hormones, pheromones
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:52:49 am »

I think that more psychoactive substances should be added into the game, similar to alcohol. For examples, including some ideas suggested by others in the thread:

Drugs:
Coffee and tea, once made brewable, could contain caffeine which would have mental effects on your dwarves in a similar way to alcohol, as well as delaying tiredness with a crash later or something like that.

Fantasy substances like something analogous to the substance smoked by the h******s in The L**d of the R***s, etc., witches' brews, various psychoactive potions, etc. Potions have probably been suggested elsewhere.

Drugs like opium or hashish or marijuana, things that have a relatively long history of use and would fit in the historical setting. Think like hazy opium dens as an alternative to taverns in a human city where you can find knowledgeable people, quest objectives, etc.

Animal person tribe shamans etc. or maybe even elves could use/administer magical potions/substances or things like peyote, mescaline, psilocybin, ergot (à la the hypothetical kykeon of the Eleusinian mysteries), etc. for their rituals and ceremonies. Taking these could cause hallucinations or connections to the spirit world, etc. depending on the specific case.

Hormones:
Adrenaline should be released from the kidneys in appropriate situations, which would make dwarves or adventurers react differently after being surprised/ambushed, or a mother sees her child in danger, etc. And having impaired kidneys could affect this.

Pheromones:
Substances emitted by creatures that can influence other creatures. This might also include exopheromones, pheromones that can influence across different species. Although it is a bit tricky to think of in-game-viable examples. Perhaps as a mediator of lust?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:57:25 pm by Hinaichigo »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More drugs, hormones, pheromones
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:14:32 am »

Syndrome system makes this possible, but dwarves don't have the capacity to straight up use it in a recreational manner, relevant procedural addictions would be nice too. Might end up creating controversy is worst case scenario.

> Hemp, either used as a extract or some kind of alternative processed growth (growth material creates a small permeable smoke cloud that effects dwarves that injest the fast dissapearing smoke) long term use has attached respiratory problems, concentration problems & withdrawal needs. Can be set/unset for recreational use via menus, burning the clothes often accidentally has the same effect.

> Opium is a direct plant extract from poppy flowers, wouldn't be hard to manufacture poppy extract and bottle it in barrels or glass vials as a trade good, using it is another matter that needs to be discussed, as we wouldn't want to set a bad example of portraying addict dwarves with a masterful needle shooting up. Probably not show them using any applicable tool at all and just have them use the product in private.

> Tobbaco - Smoked from ornate tool pipes like any respectable fantasy setting, temporarily sharpens attention & concentration with a slight good mood but damages the lungs in high concentrations, lots of smoke in a area at once is also unpleasant & unhealthy for dwarves.

Just some tame examples, not forgetting that hard drug use might be forbidden/worthy of shunning (and summary negative opinion hits of dwarves who do so) in the dwarven empire compared to much lighter uses like tobacco (which still isn't good for you at all)

I tried giving trolls a pheromonal triggerable attack once, the basic idea is that they'd shoot out a cloud of gas from their armpits (which is challenging since the arm is 1 object and whether it should be attached to the arm *and where* or the body) that causes nausea (the kind that causes vomiting) mild dizzyness & repulsive thoughts when the troll became angered (which naturally a goblin would be immune to the syndrome) with the idea that trolls in sieges fighting pump out this stuff to give them a edge towards attackers.

Could have given it to skunks too but i abandoned it because body parts aren't yet that specific without defining a 'scent gland'.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:24:13 am by FantasticDorf »

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:12:24 am »

As to opium I was thinking more along the lines of the "opium dens" of China. After all hypodermic syringes are a relatively modern thing and definitely didn't exist before 1400 AD.

Something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there could be like Arabian-style hookah places to smoke hashish or opium in human cities, for example.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:14:29 am by Hinaichigo »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

I agree with this suggestion in theory.  But I see Breaking Bad Dwarf Fortress Challenges in the future.... :-\
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:21 am »

I agree with this suggestion in theory.  But I see Breaking Bad Dwarf Fortress Challenges in the future.... :-\

How is this a bad thing?  :o
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:06:02 pm »

Would weaponizing these effects make the game too modern? I'm thinking that a hallucinogen like peyote could lead to some !!Fun!!.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:10:15 am »

Not really, ancient shamans and the like used mushrooms and other hallucinogens. It's not "modern" but it might feel wrong if you want a "Medieval European" feel, as this sort of thing was frowned upon by the Church.

However ... witches potions could plausibly include psychedelic compounds, and people having mass hallucinations from Ergot mold is one of the more believable theories on why there were "witch" outbreaks. People didn't understand why they were tripping from moldy bread so they blamed supernatural forces. Older women would have been the caregivers, prepared the food, prepared medicines etc, so it's plausible that if food was making people trip out for no explicable reason, they blamed women.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:15:32 am by Reelya »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:08:59 am »

Also the church is misogynistic...