Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Roll to Build an Earth Defense Cannon  (Read 4756 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Build an Earth Defense Cannon
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:09 am »

What about a shotgun-style cannon? It would accelerate a single large projectile that breaks up upon leaving the atmosphere, hitting a large area in space as it spreads?

And who says we can't turn the earth itself into the weapon?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:18:29 pm »

Gunder looks thoughtful.

"Vhen you vere kids, did you ever burn de ants with de magnifying glass? Vhat if we employed a similar concept... In space?
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »

"Keh heh heh, I like your thinking. Earth weapon! Magnification cannon! Let zem come, und we vill utterly destroy zem!"
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 12:52:50 pm »

"You think so small. Vhy not use de sun?"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:54 pm »

Gloval Varming, vor exvample. However, I just veal- no, Realized that we don't know what their ships are weak and resistant to. We could have a basic analysis of the ships to find them, though we should focus on how they would be affected by our primary ideas of offense- that is, heat, disease, overall energy, physical damage (cutting, piercing, maybe slashing), and so on. Governor Nirur, have any pieces of alien technology been found? A little testing on them may provide such information.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »

Vy do ve all have foreign accents? Ve have a Norvegian und ein Deutschlander.

Gloval Varming, vor exvample. However, I just veal- no, Realized that we don't know what their ships are weak and resistant to. We could have a basic analysis of the ships to find them, though we should focus on how they would be affected by our primary ideas of offense- that is, heat, disease, overall energy, physical damage (cutting, piercing, maybe slashing), and so on. Governor Nirur, have any pieces of alien technology been found? A little testing on them may provide such information.

Was ist dein nationalitisch, mein freund? Ist du ein fellow Deutschlander?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 02:36:39 pm »

Was ist dein nationalitisch, mein freund? Ist du ein fellow Deutschlander?
No, vor I have veen vimicing vour own vaccent, vriend..vand I'm veginning to sound like Vount Dracula! I have got var enough.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »

Very little is known about the alien menace, but there are hints that they are vulnerable to being thoroughly made very dead.

If you want more than the most basic reconnaissance, you'll need to find a way to get it yourselves.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 10:11:44 pm »

To hell with zis! Ve shall all build out own parts to ze grand cannon. And yet, ve need more workers to aid us! We cannot build a superweapon without at least zweihunderd helping hands!

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 04:25:32 am »

To hell with zis! Ve shall all build out own parts to ze grand cannon. And yet, ve need more workers to aid us! We cannot build a superweapon without at least zweihunderd helping hands!
Get the hired goons then. We keep them on the payroll for a reason
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 01:02:35 pm »

PTW
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 03:51:07 pm »

Construct a massive geothermal piping network under Norway, dedicated to powering the EDC.
{6} - The area beneath Norway proves to be a phenomenal source of power. The Scandenavian work crews, eager to defend the planet, even work overtime. Soon, Sweden, Finland, and even Denmark are joined into the system. A few critics comment that there may be a bit too much power for the cannon to safely use.

OVERPOWER: +2 to cannon's raw power output. Must be near Scandenavia.

start making the targeting system of the cannon the power of it doesn't matter if it cannot aim
{5} - A team of engineers is told to make the targetting system for a cannon of unknown specs or even type.

Within hours, local bars and liquor stores are extinguished of their sanity-maintaining stocks.

Eventually, and with a global effort of all qualified personnel, a huge database of targetting systems for possible weapons systems is compiled.

Comprehensive Targetting Database: +1 to giant weapon system's accuracy.[/b]

Create a fleet of small drones, each armed with a small rocket and a machine gun! We will overpower the enemy by virtue of sheer numbers!
{4} - Superior German engineering results in a large fleet of space-faring attack drones. Technically the machine gun is on a swivel-mount, but they can currently only shoot directly forwards due to limited navigation software. This will limit their ability to work at point-blank range and defensive abilities.

They're capable of launching from the surface into orbit by their own power, but will have limited combat time.

Drone Factories: +small swarm of rocket-propelled machine gun drones every turn.

Get to work building the body of the Railgun for now focusing on making it able to interface with the geothermal power being created
{5} - A super-massive, telescopic, rail-gun body is created. When fully-extended, it reaches out of the atmosphere.

Ladder holes on the outside leave it conveniently accessible, even when fully extended!

Railgun Body: Created

Spend my time aiding the pursuits of the other scientists, making their parts of the cannon more effective and efficient.
{2} - The railgun body gets ladder-like hand holes.

Two turns remain until alien arrival.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:34 pm »

So...what shall we fire with the railgun? Also, is it possible to make/work on a second cannon/something that could use the extra power?

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »

So...what shall we fire with the railgun? Also, is it possible to make/work on a second cannon/something that could use the extra power?

Ah, ja! Ve should utilize zis power to our advantage! Ze rail gun shall fire blasts of superheated rock at supernovae remnant speed! Yet... I fear zat is not enough. Gunder, mein freund, was did you say about dein... "magnification weapon"? Shall ve look into it?

If Gunder says ja, aid him in creating a solar magnification weapon. If Gunder prefers to work alone, work on creating the base for the railgun, and attach the body and base together to complete the main weapon.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »

"I vill not vork on that right now. It vould be a big distraction. I believe a nuclear payload vould be best for ze railgun. Hammer them hard with ze shell, then detonate."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6