Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Roll to Build an Earth Defense Cannon  (Read 4781 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Build an Earth Defense Cannon
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:35 pm »

Now, I'll reverse the Light Ion inhibitor and rather then slow them down Speed them up Too much so they overshoot when they start moving again.
OH GOD this is going to go so wrong. Well we are mad scientists after all
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2017, 04:22:22 am »

Construct a decoy space ship, and launch it into orbit. Make it appear to be an evacuation ship, but actually be a huge remote bomb.

(Ouch. A 1 survival roll isn't a great way to start this. Hopefully they try to pick up the "survivors". Trap is set. As an aside, were you expecting more players?)
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2017, 04:33:47 am »

Silly humans.

If we have observed the spaceships' arrival, that means they are not superluminal, and or, do not have some kind of mass-manipulation technology. 

That means that in order for them to enter an earth orbit, to commence their invasion with landing craft, they need to perform a proper braking and parking maneuver.

We can compute the mass of their fleet by measuring the disturbance on the outer asteroids that said fleet produces as the proximity increases. Using that mass measurement, along with their current vector of approach, we can determine what their calculated ideal parking orbit would be.

Instead of allowing them to enter parking orbit, we detonate nuclear projectiles at appropriate 90deg vectors to their current one, causing them to veer off course, and forcing them to initiate main engine burn to attempt to remain "in window". 

We continue this "denial of orbit" strategy until they exhaust their main engine fuel supply, then we start detonating nukes BEHIND them to throw them out of the solar system.

----

As for current status--

Does the time negation field cause the ships to drift away from earth orbit, due to the sun's rotation around galactic center, and earth's rotation around the sun?  OR-- does the field have some unknown interaction with the solar system's reference frame, and get drug along with it?

If the former, just keep shooting them with the time negation projectiles. They will emerge from stasis too far away from earth (and with TOTALLY THE WRONG INERTIA) to properly insert into orbital positions and commence the invasion.

If the latter, keep them time negated, and pepper the living bejesus out the area with conventional warheads. Remember, once the warheads enter the distortion, time will stop for them too.  If you can keep the aliens contained, you can just shoot a missile up as often as the human race finds itself able to do so, and to the alien's POV, it looks like the earth launched millions of weapons simultaneously.  Their defense systems will not be able to cope with the incoming volley.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:51:37 am by wierd »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2017, 06:01:39 am »

Silly humans.

If we have observed the spaceships' arrival, that means they are not superluminal, and or, do not have some kind of mass-manipulation technology. 

That means that in order for them to enter an earth orbit, to commence their invasion with landing craft, they need to perform a proper braking and parking maneuver.

We can compute the mass of their fleet by measuring the disturbance on the outer asteroids that said fleet produces as the proximity increases. Using that mass measurement, along with their current vector of approach, we can determine what their calculated ideal parking orbit would be.

Instead of allowing them to enter parking orbit, we detonate nuclear projectiles at appropriate 90deg vectors to their current one, causing them to veer off course, and forcing them to initiate main engine burn to attempt to remain "in window". 

We continue this "denial of orbit" strategy until they exhaust their main engine fuel supply, then we start detonating nukes BEHIND them to throw them out of the solar system.

----

As for current status--

Does the time negation field cause the ships to drift away from earth orbit, due to the sun's rotation around galactic center, and earth's rotation around the sun?  OR-- does the field have some unknown interaction with the solar system's reference frame, and get drug along with it?

If the former, just keep shooting them with the time negation projectiles. They will emerge from stasis too far away from earth (and with TOTALLY THE WRONG INERTIA) to properly insert into orbital positions and commence the invasion.

If the latter, keep them time negated, and pepper the living bejesus out the area with conventional warheads. Remember, once the warheads enter the distortion, time will stop for them too.  If you can keep the aliens contained, you can just shoot a missile up as often as the human race finds itself able to do so, and to the alien's POV, it looks like the earth launched millions of weapons simultaneously.  Their defense systems will not be able to cope with the incoming volley.
Thats a brillent plan but we dont have any nukes

Some idiot test fired a weapon using all of them. It wiped out neptune
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2017, 06:29:47 am »

create a serum that mutates the surviving plants into super-plants. Vegetables are better trees are gigantic and can work as emergency bunkers etc.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:22 am »

Create contingency plans.

1) Debris storm to assure that no craft can enter a stable orbit. (Purposeful self-destruction of the laser protection satellite grid, to create a massive cloud of orbital debris.  This will ensure that no craft can enter low earth orbital positions.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

2) Inflate the earth's magnetosphere with charged atmospheric particles. (Should be in AMPLE supply considering the amount of debris that would have rained onto the earth from redirected asteroids.) Given the power generation systems available to power the cannon, something akin to a massive tesla coil can be used at the earth's resonant tank frequency to pump electrons and atmospheric dust particles into the magnetosphere in a massive, harmonic oscillation.  For reference, this frequency is estimated to be about 7.8hz.  This will radically inflate the van-allen radiation belt around the planet, creating a thick blanket of strongly ionizing radiation. Since the surface of the planet is already uninhabitable, and all surviving humans are already deep underground, this will have minimal impact on human habitability. The end goal of this action is to create a hot plasma torus with a very high ring current, which will radically increase the intensity of the earth's electromagnetic field, radically increase the rate of solar wind capture, and make the area near earth (where the invader's ships would need to be to continue the invasion) so radioactively hostile that their ships literally suffer permanent irradiation from prolonged exposure, as well as random and systemic system failures from overloads and other radiation induced damage)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetosphere_of_Jupiter#Role_of_Io
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_current

Combined, the two should assure that the alien ships cannot deploy any kind of deflector screens (overloaded by plasma torus), and will be continually pummelled by high speed orbital debris in a run-away process.  (as bits of their ships get knocked off by exposure to the debris cloud, it adds to the debris cloud, causing more collisions.)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 06:59:11 am by wierd »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2017, 08:56:14 am »

Silly humans.

----

As for current status--

Thats a brillent plan but we dont have any nukes

Some idiot test fired a weapon using all of them. It wiped out neptune
Hey, hey, it was only Venus.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 10:18:31 am »

"Sounds too complicated. I like big cannon more."
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 11:41:59 am »

I HAVE ARRIVED!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 01:28:53 pm »

As an aside, were you expecting more players?)
(Yes, but the threat was scaled back. I was hoping someone would work on intel, or build a drone launcher on turn 2, or wonder about the brief stop in the asteroid belt.)

Now, I'll reverse the Light Ion inhibitor and rather then slow them down Speed them up Too much so they overshoot when they start moving again.
{1} - Ignoring the Hazen field, you rig up another time gun.
When fired, it explodes in a rapidly-expanding, extremely disorienting field. Everyone on Earth is moved through time.

Turn self into cyborg via illegal modifications. Turn left arm into laser cannon, like in Metroid.
{2} - Nobody is around to make anything illegal, except for the laws of physics themselves. By the time the temporal apocalypse hits, you're no closer to being able to turn into a ball and shoot lasers that pierce walls and freeze living creatures.

create a serum that mutates the surviving plants into super-plants. Vegetables are better trees are gigantic and can work as emergency bunkers etc.
{2} - You were close, but then a time shift breaks your chemistry set.

I HAVE ARRIVED!
{4} - CARRIER HAS ARRIVED!
It's slightly too late to defend the Earth, and with a payload of drones made for performing scientific data gathering on other planets in the Solar System. It looks like a Protoss Carrier, and has a crew of 150.
It is low on supplies.
It was built in orbit, and not designed to survive atmospheric re-entry. The drones were, but have barely enough fuel to reach orbit, from the surface, with a full tank.

Nobody else gets anything done because of a time warp.

Everyone not in the carrier finds themselves together in a tropical jungle, with no tools or material resources other than what they may have been carrying at the time. Roughly 100 assorted lab techs, paranoid survivalists, and useless governmental bureaucrats are scattered about in a small area.

The carrier is in orbit. No aliens, alien debris, or other satellites are visible.

Now might be a good time to introduce yourselves.

A dinosaur roars in the distance.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »

Gunder seems rather surprised.

"Vell. Vas not expecting to live dis long."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »

Well, we've technically survived somewhere in the negative millions of years. So wouldn't we have lived shorter, then?

Reason that the time warp would've sent temporal copies of objects nearby in the timeline, such as pre-Alien-apocalypse technology and perhaps the cannon, into this moment in time with us.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:03:33 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2017, 01:59:11 pm »

what
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 02:03:18 pm »

Whoops meant to hold that not spoiler it. Fixin' it.

Edit: fixed.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »

Well, we've technically survived somewhere in the negative millions of years. So wouldn't we have lived shorter, then?

Reason that the time warp would've sent temporal copies of objects nearby in the timeline, such as pre-Alien-apocalypse technology and perhaps the cannon, into this moment in time with us.
Actual time travel is all theoretical. It was strictly banned, as certain philosophers claimed that someone going back in time would, effectively, kill everyone else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6