Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Absolute Favorite Thing About Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1369 times)

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
Your Absolute Favorite Thing About Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:10:04 pm »

My favorite thing is that you don't have to play all the time. People don't really mention this when they review/critique the game. Sometimes I just sit back and watch my dwarves enjoy their tavern. It's nice when a game doesn't require constant immediate attention. Share what your favorite thing about Dwarf Fortress is!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:54:04 pm by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your absolute favorite thing about Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:09 pm »

The freedom it gives me in adventure mode, I can go anywhere in the world and I have so many options for what I can be with no quests or storylines being forced on me.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:41:49 am »

Book titles.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:10:01 pm »

Everything on the screen has motivations of their own for following a player's designs and might choose to do their own thing instead, rather than being total thought-slaves like the units in Age of Empires etc.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 03:47:47 pm »

Everything on the screen has motivations of their own for following a player's designs and might choose to do their own thing instead, rather than being total thought-slaves like the units in Age of Empires etc.
that
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Absolute Favorite Thing About Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:48 am »

The potential.

A first step would be if dwarves would be willing to choose their favorite drink/meal from the stockpile rather than just random. (Maybe it's skewed a little towards favorites, but with a diverse selection, I'm finding it rarely happens.) From there, it's not that big a step from the dwarf putting in a request to the cook and/or brewer, who puts in a request to gatherers or growers or hunters or milkers or...you get the picture. Either full sim mode where you can get a listing of these special requests, or maybe you need to approve them ala residency requests. "No, sorry, no clown roasts. Maybe next year."

Expandable all over the place. Dwarves spending their leisure time replacing their personal furniture or clothing with items more to their liking. Maybe trading living spaces so as to be closer to work, or closer to or further from the tavern, depending on their preferences for merrymaking.

Based on all the groundwork that's been put in place, I think that's in the cards. (How's that for mixing metaphors?) "Mr. Moore. Paging Mr. Moore. You and your Law are being requested at the front desk."

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:40:29 pm »

Potential, same.

I'm looking forward to the days when both modes are capable of merging and you can build up and run a fully functioning fortress AS the expedition leader or top-grade noble. We've got the start, with player sites and the entities they form. We just need the economy, which is in the plans. Just not specific plans with timeframes, because the model for developing this game doesn't work that way. Nor does it need to. I enjoy reading the devlogs and seeing how close we get with every new one.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 04:28:48 pm »

The years in between updates... xD
Diggy diggy hole.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:01 am »

Severing guts and using them as weapons.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 02:16:10 am »

were-animal outbreaks

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:27 am »

The absurd amount of things you can do.

I was just doing a playthrough of Adventure Mode where I was a legendary misc object user rhino man, beating people to death with an obsidian statue of rhinos.

Before that it was me as a necromancer, travelling with the raised corpse of my only companion, who died in the process of me becoming a necromancer.

You can turn your whole fortress into vampires, make an arena around a hydra where you toss your annoying assholes nobles to challenge their skills, you can seperate everyone into castes based on their work, you can be a poet who sicks bodyguards on his enemies after smacking them with your instrument, there's just so much you can do it's insane. And that's in the vanilla game, add in modding and it's practically infinite.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 04:28:02 pm »

The learning curve and how good it feels when you start acomplishing things in the game...
Adventure mode is also really really good...

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »

The ease with which one can learn to modify, and in the end, modify the game.

After only a few minutes of studying, I was able to create my own creature. Two days later, I created my own civ, no guides involved (unless you count the other civs in the raws as guides).

The possibilities for modding are nigh endless.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.