Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Visual/Infographic Resume  (Read 2077 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
The Visual/Infographic Resume
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:25 am »

So,

A few of you Bay12ers may know by now that I am going into the creative fields--specifically, screenwriting--and well... it's damn near impossible to get internships in the film/television industry and writing internships/programs/etc. essentially do not exist. There are a few, but they're either unlikely to give me a call back, or I simply don't meet the requirements for them (in one case, you have to be 21yrs old.)

So it got me thinking. My resume, to summarize the situation accurately: sucks dick. I would like to change that, but frankly, I think visually and I write creatively. I'm really just not fantastic at "business" or "academic" writing.

BUT...

I've always had this idea to create a visual resume, something that not only espouses what little qualifications I actually possess, but so captivates the reader/viewer in a way that says, "we need this guy at our company." Problem is, it goes against everything I've ever been told about resumes. It's a bunch of pages, lots of pictures and graphic design elements, and just totally against the grain. But it's the only way I can see that will truly give an employer the width and breadth of me.

I intend to go through with this project, but I wanted some anonymous feedback first, lest I end up wasting my time entirely.

P.S. I know that that, perhaps, is not a whole bunch to go on--but I'm trying to find some of my old graphical elements so that I can whip together a sample to show you guys what I'm talking about. Thanks for any insight given.

EDIT: This is the kind of thing I'm talking about:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It'd be somewhere between 4-8 pages (counting this one.) That's a little aggressive, let's say 2-4 pages max.

EDIT2: Huge waste of time???

EDIT3: I don't who here works in the entertainment industry, but if you opened up a resume .pdf and saw this, would you keep reading?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:21:05 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Visual/Infographic Resume
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:14:20 pm »

Maybe it's different for creative types and/or small businesses. But there's no way I'd try to use that professionally. You said it yourself, you have no work experience and want to pad it out. People that have to read and process resumes are going to think that too. If they've taken the time to read and decipher your resume only to find it only deals solely with your personality and not your actual work skills....they're probably going to be a little miffed. Like, my office would probably get a kick out of that resume, because we're a small, off-beat software company that just wants motivated people, and that example definitely says you're motivated. We might even hire you (although our graphic design person would probably have a field day with that.)

But places that are doing serious business and are busy generally don't have time for that level of whimsy. And there is such a thing as coming on too strong.

Your resume gets compared thusly:

Candidate 1: I've got 3 years interning in this industry and two years working professionally with X. I'm competent in XYZ, and have worked a little with A, B and C, and am willing to learn anything else.

Candidate 2: I've got 6 years of experience in this industry, 2 of those as a manager of Z people in Y department. I'm highly qualified in A,B,C and D, and have mild familiarity with E, F, G and H.

Candidate 3 (You): I've got no work experience. But I've got layers.

I remember doing the agonizing over the resume thing in my past too. But my experience (which I admit isn't a shit ton) is that it's usually not your resume that gets you the job. It's you, in the interview. Your resume is there to get you the interview. I've gotten jobs with no work experience because I presented well in the interview, projected confidence that whatever I didn't know I could learn or figure out. And my resume was just like everyone else's, and I always felt like I lacked any hard experience when I applied for anything except kitchen jobs.

So when it comes to resumes, the easiest way to not get that interview is because of your resume. Either because it lacks or it's got waaayyyyy too much put into it. It's the kind of thing people are going to love, or hate. I'll admit, I saw a lot of resumes like this in college prep classes, as examples of what really not to do. Again that's the conventional wisdom, but colleges don't teach it because it doesn't work.

Again, maybe it's different in the entertainment/creative industry. What you should probably do is get familiar with the places you're thinking about applying to. Gauge their level of "free thinkingness" or whether they're more straight-laced. Like, if you're applying to a graphic design firm, people usually expect a portfolio. I suppose you could make your resume your portfolio but.....well, again that kind of looks like padding if you don't have any real work to offer up. It's kind of shocking to go into the real world and see how well some people do their jobs, and makes you realize pluck sometimes just ain't enough.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:17:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:16:35 pm »

Lol, thanks. That is good advice. Like you, if I get an interview, usually I nail it... It's just the getting the interview part. Unfortunately, I do think you are correct. About padding and coming on too strong that is. Specifically--and this isnt the finished product--this resume would go to Cartoon Network & Adult Swim, Nickelodeon, and a number of networks, writing internship programs.

(To clarify--this obvious isnt the whole resume, I mean there's still a resume part to it, this is just the "cover page" if you will.)

I do understand that this type of resume is huge risk. But it's pretty much just for internships... So I figured hey, why NOT show I got spunk? I don't have any experience. Seriously. The best thing I can say is that I stayed late sometimes while working at CVS. But what I'm hearing is tone it down just a little bit.

... I know you can't really tell me what to do lol, I'm just trying to weigh which option is best.

Again though, excellent advice.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:45:08 am »

I don't like that concept art, but there are visual resumes that look like those cool infographics. But your cool information needs to be in there. Use colors, pie charts, bar graphs, clip art, but you weave the individual parts to all be the normal "resume" information.

Just google what other people do for "visual resume" and "infographic resume".
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:58:37 am by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:56 pm »

I don't like that concept art, but there are visual resumes that look like those cool infographics. But your cool information needs to be in there. Use colors, pie charts, bar graphs, clip art, but you weave the individual parts to all be the normal "resume" information.

Just google what other people do for "visual resume" and "infographic resume".
^^^^^
This.
Not...Whatever that was.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »

Thanks for second opinions. That's obviously not a resume. Just concept art for how it would be themed. That's more of a cover page to something.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:07 am »

I don't like that concept tbh.  It looks...Clashy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »

I don't like that concept tbh.  It looks...Clashy.

I, uh, don't know what that means. Like... palette wise?

... I actually finished this project a couple of days ago 'cause I wanted to see how it would all look. You can see it here:
(contact info has been blurred out for obvo reasons)

Basically, this is pretty much tailored specifically to apply to an internship at [adult swim] (a branch of Cartoon Network for those unaware.) Um... Ya, tell me what you think. And be honest. I expect quite a lot of people to hate it, but uh... I do want to be creative about it. I have literally no experience, so I have to stand out somehow.

EDIT: On one hand, part of my brain is like. No, too unprofessional. And on the other hand, another part of my brain is like, wow, divinely inspired, they have to give you an interview.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:55:58 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 06:57:42 pm »

Haha, The Fatman, game audio guy, had a great idea on how to stand out.

He sent his demos out one time in a triangular box. Not a flat triangular box mind you, but an actual pyramid-shaped box. And he got a ton of work from that one promotion. The idea is that a non-flat thing can't help but be put on the top of any pile you try and shove it in. Consider sending them something in the mail with a similar idea. And make sure you work out a real person who works there who you should be sending it to.

I don't know if you can work out a digital equivalent of that, but I'm not sure the current concept is working.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:59:23 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

That's kind of genius, Reelya. hmmm. I do have some mail-in internships I have to apply to... perhaps they will be a good test of that.

EDIT: So about the "current concept" just tell me whats up. Too unprofessional? I suspect that's what most of the people here are feeling.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »

If you do that, make sure to put at least one loose object in there as a present, I'd go with the type of toy you once used to get in cereal promotions. If they hear something rattling inside that, curiousity is going to drive them crazy.

Then make sure your personal info is in there printed on nice solid card stock, not paper, basically make like a little deck of cards out of thick nice paper and they have to piece your resume together from that, with each one having a little about you. One the backs of each card have your contact details, so each card becomes like a business card.

BTW for screenwriter, life experiences do matter, so make sure to cover hobbies, interests and special knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:11:45 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »

Again, more great advice. Um, let's see...

1.) add hobbies, interests, special knowledge

2.) make it physical stand out or whatever the digital equivalent of that would be

3.) tone it down some??? Make it somewhat more "professional"?

For reference, a fair number of people have said just google graphical resumes, but most of those rely on you having a lot of impressive numbers to put up to be explained via chart. I've seen a few examples that have inspired me beyond this, but uh... most of the ones I've seen are as visually blah as a "normal" resume is verbally.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »

How about the Bomb Threat Resume. Page one is a blank page with just:

"There's a bomb in your building ..."

Then page 2 is "Daniel Manzi - totally da bomb" with all the glitter and stars. :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:53:24 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:41 pm »

Oh geez heck no.
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:27 pm »

I would like to at least get in the room with a hiring agent before being permanently blacklisted, lol!
Pages: [1] 2