Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Visual/Infographic Resume  (Read 2068 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Visual/Infographic Resume
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 08:17:59 pm »

I would like to at least get in the room with a hiring agent before being permanently blacklisted, lol!

Have you completed many script treatments or whatever they're called? I kinda thought a lot of scriptwriters worked freelance or at least on a project by project basis.

But anyway back to the bomb idea, you could do something similar but less illegal. If you're going to have the crazy image, perhaps lead up to that over a couple of pages building up the story and tension. I wouldn't just hit them with that. Add a narrative to it. And why not have flashing eyes while you're at it? An animated gif resume.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:20:32 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:00 pm »

I would like to at least get in the room with a hiring agent before being permanently blacklisted, lol!

Have you completed many script treatments or whatever they're called? I kinda thought a lot of scriptwriters worked freelance or at least on a project by project basis.

Ah, see here's the thing. I'm just trying to get a summer internship at [adult swim]. I have 3-4 scripts to my portfolio now,  but I'm still in school so I can't really up and leave. Fishing for agents is another process entirely, one that involves trolling the list of (writers) guild-signatory agencies that are accepting new writers as well as submitting the stuff they desire, which could be anything from a logline (a one sentence description of your script), to a treatment, or even a full blown spec-script or original pilot.

The short answer to your question is yes, but right now, I'd rather take another year to get as much into my portfolio as possible and refine it, than trying to get an agent.

The nature of freelance work in the screenwriting industry can be rather complicated and pretty much has to be preceded by you acquiring an agent if you wish to have any sort of career in Hollywood as I understand it. I mean, there's nothing wrong with script doctoring--which is essentially giving up your credit on a script you rewrite in return for a large lump sum of cash--but the goal is to get on staff, I.E. write for a network series. Even then, because networks are required to test "new, untested" writers, you can write an episode and still not really have a stable job. Freelance is how you start out, and I'm well aware of that, but my reasons for trying to get an internship are two-fold. One, my parents don't really understand that a.) writing internships don't really exist, and b.) it's nigh impossible to get internships that involve screenwriting in a meaningful way. And two, I write a lot of animation, science fiction, fantasy, and the like, and would very much like to make some connections at Cartoon Network.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:12 pm »

Perhaps instead of the "clusterfuck resume" from page one you should in fact style your resume like something from the industry itself. e.g. old posters for cartoons.

Basically this but without the copyrighted stuff and your face and info. Poster layouts are designed by marketing experts to grab the eye and draw it to the important info. Another choice would be to recreate some famous movie poster. e.g. make a Pulp Fiction resume:

But ideally then you need a photo of yourself doing the exact same pose as the actor in the film, which could get awkward.

That crazy one might be better if you were going into advertising or something, but not film writing. Film writers are expected to be more sensible types who can take a treatment and follow story beats sensibly. After all, for cartoons you have either 8 minutes or 22 minutes to fill exactly, and it's got to closely follow a 3 act structure with clearly defined beats ... now ... go.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:57:41 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 12:48:50 am »

So, I have taken in all of this advice and synthesized something new. Honestly, I think it's a lot better. Please tell me what you think. It's rather basic right now, but it gives most of the necessary info (might need to go back and expound just a bit more for convention/clarity's sake) and it looks quite good.

Tagline got a little lost at the bottom there, which I suppose I'll have to go back and fix, but it's mostly come out how I want it to.

Thoughts???

EDIT: and just to be clear, no, the contact information is not blurred out in the actual piece.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:52:08 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 03:17:46 am »

Better, but constrain it to poster dimensions, and I suggest a quarter profile view with you looking wistfully up at an angle. It will create a sense of wondering what you're looking at.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:02 am »

Yes, I've been wanting to grab some better photos of myself for a while now. Photoshoot time, lol. Seriously, I have almost zero good photos of me--this is the only one.

Thanks for the input.  I will whip up a "poster sized" version.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »

I'd personally applaud the effort of one other person who chose to break the norm and put him under consideration if I were HR.

I'd prefer a more spreadsheety feel though instead of a movie poster, but the message is still the same regardless: that you're an outside of the box thinker. Be sure to carry your own weight in the interview, and prep not to get accepted if the hiring manager is not a young millenial or anti millenial.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »

Thank you--that's good advice. I'm not expecting this to get me any further than the first interview. If that.

A more spreadsheet-y feel you say??? Hmmm, I think that has struck a chord in my inspiration.
Pages: 1 [2]