Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?  (Read 32092 times)

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conan Exiles! What is best in life?
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »

Conan Exiles is  open world survival crafting game based in the Conan Universe. Someone provided me with a copy of it for my birthday and I found it rather interesting, even in its very early state.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/440900/

Steam Description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It appears like you can built complicated settlements command npc slaves. You can also make sacrifices and offerings to gods to take control of large monstrous avatars (Not sure if it is in or just planned at this time).

It is still very early access, but what it has so far looks rather interesting. I am in the process of setting up a server for it. Be prepared for lots of bugs, however, as while it has a lot of content it has quite a fair bit of bugs and some animation issues.

Screens!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:32:14 am by deoloth »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »

The penis physics are superb.

The rest is for now just a generic survivalcrafting game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:03:04 pm »

Despite the consistently mixed reviews on Steam, I see several of my friends playing this often.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:48 pm »

I see these big god things and somewhat interesting bases and stuff in screenshots, but all the actual gameplay videos of this I've seen has looked like a shitty rust (or insert whatever generic 3d survival crafting game comes to your mind first) clone. How much actual content is in the game, and like, does it get better then just shitty rust game? Or is that basically it for now? (Presumably with the "but it's early access so it'll get a lot better guys I swear.)

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »

... does it get better then just shitty rust game? Or is that basically it for now?

That's the ever-present question with early access games.  There are plenty of examples of things gone wrong, and not quite enough examples of things gone right.  If you aren't feeling it for what the game is right now, don't open your wallet, because there's no guarantee it'll ever be anything more.

Funcom isn't a green outfit, but there's no lack of salt out there on the internet for how they choose to operate.  YMMV.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:49:05 pm »

But does Rust have genital physics?
I didn't think so.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:04:51 pm »

Swing emulation aside, how much lamentation has been implemented so far? Is there a development path laid out for the further implementation of lamentation? Also, how crushy is the crushing?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:47 pm »

Some friends and I chipped in for a dedicated server, which we have dubbed "Sarnath."

While the game does have mixed reviews, I personally find the building mechanics to be highly gratifying and progression is a lot more user-friendly and engaging, without being quite as tedious as say, Ark. Also, I don't think combat is getting enough credit-- while perhaps not the most innovative system, it's "Skyrim + dodging" mechanic is a lot better than what you get with most multiplayer survival games.

For those interested in playing along, the server stats are all Vanilla, with the exception of .75 NPC spawn rates and claim size, and 1.25 exp gain and harvest rates. 18+ only!

To join us directly from the main menu, open your console with tilde and type:

If you have any problems, suggestions, or would like to play together, PM me!

/shameless plug
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:48:48 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:41 am »

Blarg, shameless plugging on my shameless plugging!

I'll stick your IP under mine in the OP.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:56 am »

This game is VERY similar to Ark, the obvious difference apart from the setting, being that you don't tame dinos, instead you can capture NPCs to turn them into slaves/followers. So far it seems not very well optimized, although not as badly as Ark when it first came out, and my biggest issue is that the crafting costs are odiously high. You need way too many resources to make stuff, to the point where it makes no sense at all. Some recipes are ok but some things make no sense, like needing 5 rocks for a single arrow. You routinely need to scrape whole areas clean in order to make relatively simple things. That's probably balanced for multiplayer, where the whole tribe contributes, but if you're playing solo it's just obnoxious, not to mention the absurdity of mining every single iron rock in a large area and still being only halfway to the mark for crafting a forge.

Overall it doesn't look bad but I'm currently waiting until it's more fleshed out. Some of their long term goals/features seem truly interesting.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:04:12 am by Sirian »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:18:16 am »

So this is just like rust, right? I mean the building looks equal...

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 07:27:29 pm »

I've been digging it.  It plays pretty similarly to Skyrim/Fallout 4 with friends.  That said though don't get too dedicated to a server that doesn't have battleye enabled, cause people are def hacking.  Set up a base that was 2 stories of t3 building and still someone made it in and destroyed all my workbenches, bed, and ganked me in a semi-hidden room.  Didn't destroy any of the walls or doors though.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:46:00 pm »

I've been digging it.  It plays pretty similarly to Skyrim/Fallout 4 with friends.  That said though don't get too dedicated to a server that doesn't have battleye enabled, cause people are def hacking.  Set up a base that was 2 stories of t3 building and still someone made it in and destroyed all my workbenches, bed, and ganked me in a semi-hidden room.  Didn't destroy any of the walls or doors though.
There's a glitch that lets you walk through walls. Unless it's been fixed but I think it's still ongoing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »

This really looks like someone took Rust and slapped on a new combat system. Is this just another Rust/Ark clone but with barbarian lore?

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 03:45:06 pm »

This really looks like someone took Rust and slapped on a new combat system. Is this just another Rust/Ark clone but with barbarian lore?

Well, down the line they have different things planned out, but at the moment? Pretty much. Though I gotta admit that the combat at least feels a little better than Ark's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16