Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Subnautica..  (Read 14618 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Subnautica..
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:27 pm »

It's worth noting that two of the achievements are currently bugged and unattainable. Devs are working on this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah, time capsules! Forgot to talk about those... So, whenever you start a game (or clear the memory cache), your world is populated with 40 time capsules in various locations. These are small containers containing an image, some text, and a 2x3 storage space potentially filled with items. These items are things that were put into the capsule by other players (and in some cases, the developers themselves) when they finish the main story line. The capsules need to be approved by the devs, and then the most highly-voted capsules get placed into more worlds than those with fewer positive responses.

As the contents are determined by the players, time capsule items tend to vary WILDLY in their usefulness and scope... as do the texts and images.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2018, 02:58:57 pm »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »

As the contents are determined by the players, time capsule items tend to vary WILDLY in their usefulness and scope... as do the texts and images.

Ha, I had one labeled as Alterra marketing and testing with two grapple arms, two PRAWN posters, and a message stating that if I tested the grapples and documented placement of the promotional posters in my habitat, Alterra would re-imburse any expenses incurred on my trip. So if I take that as cannon, I win (sorta)!

...I also found one with an angry Bone Shark in it, and a really bad play on words about dragons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »

So, a little over a year has passed, Subnautica had a few days in the sun (and a few in the shade), and now the Early Access version of the sequel has been released.

I haven't picked up Subnautica: Below Zero yet, but I bumped into a couple videos of Markiplier playing it on YouTube. Haven't seen a whole lot of the game after an hour and a half, because he apparently has way worse thalassophobia than I do and spends most of his time losing he got dam mind.

However, I've still managed to notice a couple things.

First of all, they're keeping up some of their ridiculous critter design... Now we have literal SPACE HEATERS in the form of alien flora-fauna who... Probably have an entirely insufficient explanation as to why they radiate heat like an oven element. Then there are the underwater plants which inexplicably collect oxygen in a prominent bulb that conveniently features a natural orifice for sucking that sweet O2 directly into your SCUBA kit when you're 100+ meters below the surface.

Holefish now have a giant version which doesn't look like a holefish so much as just a reskinned mola mola... Which is fine, we needed more passive fauna, and sunfish are a really good example of something that is both passive and pretty funny to look at. I don't know how exactly you suck oxygen out of the holefish's hole, but you can do that too.

No comment about the penguins, other than that the alpha version has some funny animation errors with the younger ones. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interaction with them, but again, we needed more fauna that wasn't actively trying to murder the protagonist for the crime of existing.

Unfortunately, crashfish still exist. I fucking hate crashfish. I hate everything about them. Their sole redeeming feature is that you could fire them at bonesharks in the first Subnautica, which was kinda entertaining. But they were honestly kinda bad at even doing that. Fuck crashfish.

There are a couple other new beasties, including another stalker-shark-type-thing analog, which I haven't gotten to see a lot of yet due to Marky breaking down into a full-blown panic as soon as one of them is nearby.

More importantly though, the game itself is... A lot more linear. Like, really linear so far. And not only is the protagonist now fully voice-acted, that fact also gets shown off a lot by silly communications with the orbital station that is apparently monitoring your progress for the glory of Arstotzka Alterra (if I had a twin, I would definitely greet them casually with "we shared a womb!" every time we talked). And you're apparently not allowed to make a habitat tool until... Sometime later? It hasn't come up yet.

I also noticed that they seem to have managed to re-add an early bug back into the game after having fixed it in Subnautica... Which, y'know, always a good sign.

I really don't know if UW learned the right lessons from the original Subnautica. It's still early going, but... I'unno. Guess we'll see.

It's still pretty funny to see that they've got the same damn bugs from the original Subnautica's EA versions... Random flashes of light and rampant terrain clipping, ho!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »

I really don't know if UW learned the right lessons from the original Subnautica. It's still early going, but... I'unno. Guess we'll see.

I haven't seen a great deal of it (just a few video clips on youtube) but I worry about the same thing - it  seems that sometimes game companies don't reallllly understand what made their first game so popular (or worse yet, they do realise that but still feel they know better).

For instance, the story/linear elements in Subnautica were better than most survival games, but that wasn't why people played it. Similarly, whilst it had all sorts of ridiculous creatures, the world was just about coherent enough to feel 'real' - if they go too far it'll become too arcade-like.

It's not that they need to do the same thing all over again, but they should concentrate on what everyone enjoyed about the first one.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2023, 07:15:56 pm »

My hovercraft cyclops is full of eels stalkers! What am I to do?
Not here at the moment

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2023, 04:50:16 am »

As in, your cyclops is getting attacked by lots of stalkers, or you actually have stalkers that have somehow managed to get *inside* the cyclops?

If it's the former, turn off the engine and the lights. Critters can't actually "see" things in a normal sense; their aggro is based almost entirely off of sound and, in some cases, light. The cyclops generates a very small amount of noise when just idling, and generates more when moving (much more when going turbo), which can be enough to draw aggro from critters in a small radius around the sub. Turning off the engine will drop that noise down to 0, meaning that the only things that will try to take chunks out of it will be critters who blindly bump into the giant submarine that they didn't know was there (animals will automatically bite things that are directly in front of their face. This includes "tamed" creatures raised from eggs), and things that have already aggroed onto the sub (but they'll lose interest after a nibble or two).

This means that the most surefire way of getting out of a sticky situation with lots of aggro is to... Power down the sub and just stand still like a sitting duck. You'll take a few hits, but then everything will start ignoring you completely and wander off. This actually even allows you to sit in the danger zone of the abyss without the ghosts attacking you (but they'll still spawn, and you'll get thrashed the moment you try to boot it up again and leave).

If it's the latter, I... Really don't know what to say. Congratulations?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2023, 10:03:39 am »

It has been ages since I've played but if you have a decoy torpedo then that in conjunciton with Kagu's suggestion would probably work? Ideally the enemies will get drawn to the noise of the decoy while you turn the sub off.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2023, 10:39:50 am »

As in, your cyclops is getting attacked by lots of stalkers, or you actually have stalkers that have somehow managed to get *inside* the cyclops?

If it's the former, turn off the engine and the lights. Critters can't actually "see" things in a normal sense; their aggro is based almost entirely off of sound and, in some cases, light. The cyclops generates a very small amount of noise when just idling, and generates more when moving (much more when going turbo), which can be enough to draw aggro from critters in a small radius around the sub. Turning off the engine will drop that noise down to 0, meaning that the only things that will try to take chunks out of it will be critters who blindly bump into the giant submarine that they didn't know was there (animals will automatically bite things that are directly in front of their face. This includes "tamed" creatures raised from eggs), and things that have already aggroed onto the sub (but they'll lose interest after a nibble or two).

This means that the most surefire way of getting out of a sticky situation with lots of aggro is to... Power down the sub and just stand still like a sitting duck. You'll take a few hits, but then everything will start ignoring you completely and wander off. This actually even allows you to sit in the danger zone of the abyss without the ghosts attacking you (but they'll still spawn, and you'll get thrashed the moment you try to boot it up again and leave).

If it's the latter, I... Really don't know what to say. Congratulations?

Two Stalkers spawned into my Cyclops. They don't aggro unless I approach the helm from outside. Sadly I could only remove them by piloting it away, which battered them to death.
Not here at the moment
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]