Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?  (Read 32123 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conan Exiles! What is best in life?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 05:02:22 pm »

Combat is better then most survivals, but that's not saying much.

Right now the game feels very unfinished, but I remain hopeful, as there are a few things that they want to bring to the table (Or already have) that aren't really present in most other survival games.

First being Thralls, which are in game (sort of) and they want to expand on.  From what I gather, eventually they want to make it more like NPC clanmates.  Cities full of NPC's, in other words.  Right now you can get archers, fighters and crafters to help your little colony, but they are very static and not very interesting.

The second is a magic system, including necromancy, etc. 

Between those two, I feel like this game has potential compared to a lot of the other survival games out there.  Potential being the key word.

If they can pull it off, it may create another paradigm shift in the survival genre, and we may see other games starting doing more with NPC's.  But that's a big IF. 

But for right now, it's fairly generic.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 05:21:54 pm »

I would agree with you, but being about 40 hours in (and still in the iron tier), I would add the difficulty curve to its unique assets. In most survival games, once you level up or upgrade to the next tier of weapons (which is generally a fast and easily accessible affair) the mobs you struggling to overcome to sneak by become trivial against your new advantages. Not so in Exiles. Being outnumbered, outflanked, out of stamina when entering combat unexpectedly, or failing to utilize correct strategy can be the difference between an easy fight and being completely overwhelmed.

In this respect, Conan feels like a real survival game. The game is slow-burning, not unlike an MMO, so getting to that point at which most threats can be dispatched easily can take a very long time. Thus you are constantly kept on your toes and preoccupied with the task of thinking strategically, economically, and cooperatively.

Admission of bias, I am beginning to love this game at its earliest stage.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »

Yeah, I should add that the game is fun in it's current stage.  I hope they are able to pull it off, I really do.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:19 pm »

I've been playing on the Forgotten Coast server. It's RP-PVP. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, despite some issues with rubberbanding.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 06:18:45 pm »

In most survival games, once you level up or upgrade to the next tier of weapons (which is generally a fast and easily accessible affair) the mobs you struggling to overcome to sneak by become trivial against your new advantages. Not so in Exiles. Being outnumbered, outflanked, out of stamina when entering combat unexpectedly, or failing to utilize correct strategy can be the difference between an easy fight and being completely overwhelmed.

This sounds a lot like the abstracts from EVE; while size/numbers can set the initial tone, doctrine, circumstance, and tactics factor in heavily.  No solo-facerollololol-pwntastic-happy-funtime.

-----

Apparently Conan Exiles is already into black ink on the ledger.

Let's hope that Funcom will do right by their new game by supporting it well.  It would be a tragedy if they instead sucked the marrow out of the game before it is fully grown.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »

If we're going by what I've seen in this game, hearing the lamentations of their women seems to go second to rubbing your floppy dong all over the dead men's faces.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »

I've been playing on the Forgotten Coast server. It's RP-PVP. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, despite some issues with rubberbanding.

I'd love to find a good RP PvP server, but it seems they all attract exploiters unless they're password protected.  There are some serious bugs that still need ironed out, otherwise playing on public servers is pointless.  Those who play in the spirit of the game just get raided by people with no qualms in using the load in bug or the well/pit of yog wall climbing exploits and jsut steal everything from every night then play the "prove it, it's a survival game and raiding is part of it" argument when they're called on their BS.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:12 pm »

I'd love to find a good RP PvP server, but it seems they all attract exploiters unless they're password protected.  There are some serious bugs that still need ironed out, otherwise playing on public servers is pointless.  Those who play in the spirit of the game just get raided by people with no qualms in using the load in bug or the well/pit of yog wall climbing exploits and jsut steal everything from every night then play the "prove it, it's a survival game and raiding is part of it" argument when they're called on their BS.

Admins are very active on the server I mentioned. no exploiters yet, and anyone found doing it is banned. It's a fairly populous server to. 20-40 on low pop and near the high pop times I've seen it get around 70ish.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 01:30:12 pm »

Admins are very active on the server I mentioned. no exploiters yet, and anyone found doing it is banned. It's a fairly populous server to. 20-40 on low pop and near the high pop times I've seen it get around 70ish.

I've looked for it both in the ingame server list and steams server list but it isn't showing up for me :/.  There have been several servers like this, where even with the IP and port it shows up for me as not responding.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »

I'd give it a little bit. I have to search for it in the server list using the filter command and it takes like five minutes for it to show up.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 07:51:28 pm »

Another core feature they've promised to implement, are footprints. Basically, depending on your faction relationship via quests and interactions, the size of your base, number of thralls, and hostility with NPC encampments, you will eventually be subject to NPC raids. If implemented well (NPCs spawning at their camps in the world, and pathfinding to a base, destroying obstacles while managing to avoid neutral settlements- a tall order!), this would be a level of PvE sophistication that most survival games haven't touched down on yet.

I'm hooked on this game for its MMO-style elements. There is a lot of grind, but it feels streamlined, intuitive, and- most importantly- rewarding. It's hard to say if the game will ultimately live up to Funcom's promises, but I choose to be hopeful. One of my hopes is that they have the discretion to compromise on certain elements (in-depth city management) and instead favor natural strengths such as questing, exploration, narrative, and combat difficulty for a solid experience. I for one could care less if my thralls literally go hunting out in the open world, and would be completely content to see them just man a hunter's cabin that slowly generated resources depending on local spawn point density. I would be disappointed, however, if the reputation and PvE raid system choked on its own ambition and resulted in easily exploited or superfluous mechanics.

For those of you still looking for a home, Sarnath PvE is really starting to take off. On average we have about 5-15 players, many of whom are extremely talkative and community-oriented, and there is plenty of room left. Server performance is good, and will be better after we get our new CPU in a few days, though the game itself is subject to rare crashes. To that end, we've made it so that following the next restart, bodies will logout with players to prevent getting mobbed while offline.

If you're interested in giving us a try, to connect easily, open your console and type "TravelLocal 160.202.164.18:7787" minus the quotations. That should get you in straightaway. :)

Just a reminder, our is a mature (18+) server.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:10:08 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 02:31:25 pm »

I know this thread is months old, but I need to know..
The game has single-player mode, right? Is the game's save system similar to ARK? Or is it easier to do?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 01:27:51 pm »

How is this game coming along? Anyone around here still playing? Any good new features implemented?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:53 pm »

How is this game coming along? Anyone around here still playing? Any good new features implemented?

still getting pretty regular patches. most of the patching is adding stuff like the maps, they want to get that stuff in before they work on town simulation.
no harem of battle amazons yet

*edit used a wrong word, wat
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 05:40:32 am »

still getting pretty regular patches. most of the patching is adding stuff like the maps, they want to get that stuff in before they work on town simulation.
no harem of battle amazons yet

Or as I like to call 'em, BAMazons.

...yeah, I don't even have the game. Don't play MMOs in general, and the 'mixed' rating scared me off, especially with the price tag being what it is.  I just had to crack that shitty joke.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16