Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shearing Animals Possibly Conflicting With Standarized Leather [1.23]  (Read 1405 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing Dwarf Mode in 1.23, and shearing Shaggy Badgerdogs, Drakes and Leatherwing Bats seem to be producing unusable refuse* instead things I can actually use. Only other thing I think that might be changing the animals' raws would be that I also have All Creatures Trainable activated, but otherwise I believe I haven't changed anything that could affect this.

* Badgerdog Fur, Drake Scales, etc. but no reaction to use them.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shearing Animals Possibly Conflicting With Standarized Leather [1.23]
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:27:21 pm »

I haven't looked into their raws yet, but I'm sure its an issue with either the raws or it might even be that its not decoding properly from shearing over into leather.  It probably is treating them as thread... I've seen the badger dog fur as thread.... was kind of confused but shrugged.  all of this has been a common complaint since the change over to 43.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:41:02 am »

I've noticed leathwerwing bats at least being broken for quite a while now.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:37 pm »

Badger dog dog fur is still functional, you just run the "spin thread" reaction at the farmers workshop and the worker will go to the refuse pile and pick it up. It is annoying that it gets dumped in refuse though. I haven't tested drakes yet but yeah, leatherwings are non-functional.

Ps: you may need to set dwarves to gather refuse from outside
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:44:22 am »

Sorry for the double post, but I did some more research and I got some interesting findings. It seems like the broken leatherwing bats are cause by the More Leather! option in the gui. Turn it off and bats will work properly again. This also fixes drakes.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:57:18 am »

interesting... so they need a fix to work with standard leather? or to be modded to not be included in the standard leather group?  that should be easy to do...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:36:30 am »

It's not standard leather that's the problem. It's More Leather! actually. In vanilla, when you butcher a creature, you always get 1 skin which can be tanned into 1 hide (even if you butcher a whale, you only get 1 hide). Naturally, this is unrealistic so More Leather! makes it so you get more leather when you slaughter larger creatures.

The way More Leather!  accomplishes this is by basically changing skins into fat that can be turned into leather rather than tallow, which is done by making it a GLOB. The leather tanning reaction is also modified to accept only globs. The problem is that when you shear an animal, the thing you get from it is not a glob even when the original tissue is one.

Now you may think that the solution is as simple as modifying the reaction so it accepts both globs and non-globs but there is another problem that is introduced in the latest version. A single unit of a GLOB counts as 150 reagents in a reaction while a single unit of non-globs just counts as 1. Therefore, depending on how you implement the new reaction, you'll either have a GLOB producing 150 leather or 150 non-globs producing 1 leather. Neither of which are ideal.

Anyway, this isn't an impossible problem. I'm just sharing some of my findings so you don't stay up all night doing research like I did.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:32 am »

interesting, so the leatherwing bat needs to have the glob sheared instead of the skin?  or hmm this is what I'm thinking... a secondary Tan a Hide that only appears when more leather! is active for globs.  leaving the standard in place for all the "odd leather" that appears... I had a similar issue with createitems skin.  if the more leather mod was off such things would be turned into leather and when the more leather mod was on it would ignore them.

I think the 2 mods together have some flaws...

I tried to use the MORE_LEATHERMOD tags in the creature definition that is a fail...

I'm sure that having both reactions separate is the way to go...  try to do that and test it out.  the MORE_LEATHERMOD tags work anywhere in that file, so you could just write the more leather reaction with the tag in front of every section.  change the REACTION:XXX part and then add the new reaction to the entity files, PERMITTED_REACTION:XXX.

I'm currently testing a list of other reactions I wrote, so I don't have time right now.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group