Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Pegasus Expedition  (Read 986 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Pegasus Expedition
« on: October 20, 2022, 10:42:37 am »

The Pegasus Expedition

Details
Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1521070
Genre(s): Indie, Strategy, Early Access
Developer: Kalla Gameworks
Publisher: Fulqrum Publishing
Release Date: 20 Oct, 2022
Language(s): English
Operating system(s):

Features
  • Single-player
About The Game
The Pegasus Expedition is a story-driven sci-fi grand strategy game set in a key moment for humankind’s survival. Facing an overwhelming threat at home, humanity sends an expedition to the Pegasus Galaxy in a desperate attempt to find a refuge for the population of Earth, only to find themselves in the middle of an interstellar war they inadvertently started.

As you lead one of these fleets, your mission soon transitions from exploration to governance, conquest, and eventually a fight for survival. Players will experience a challenging story where nothing is self-evident and every decision will have its consequences.

Building on the legacy of the grand strategy genre, The Pegasus Expedition adds a strong narrative side to the classic 4X-gameplay which involves managing your diplomatic ties, armies, economy and scientific development.

Key Features
  • Immense handcrafted world – a replayable campaign set in a rich, vast world.

• Conflict and tragedy – experience a deep storyline, where no-one is perfect and ends will often have to justify the means.

• Choose to be the leader you wish to be – face difficult moral choices in difficult times, and suffer their consequences.

• Rewarding gameplay experience – Versatile 4X gameplay with many different approaches to various challenges the campaign presents.

• Meaningful diplomacy – a diverse and versatile system with over 30 independent factions in the galaxy.

• Planning-based combat – manage your warfronts' bigger picture, and weigh which losses you’re willing to take for success.

A story driven 4X-game
The Pegasus Expedition is a story driven grand strategy game which focuses on combining an epic sci-fi narrative with a solid 4X foundation to create a very unique narrative strategy game experience. Your decisions and actions shape the galaxy around you, with every alliance and crisis you suffer or cause leaving their mark.

The Council
As the Director of Zeus Link fleet, you control all aspects of the Zeus Link, making all of your critical decisions with your council; the group of your closest subordinates and advisors. They will inform you of the new developments in the galaxy, and do their part in solving the numerous crises and incidents you will have to resolve, one way or another.

Economy
 You will start out with only your seasoned but thin expeditionary fleet, and you will need to develop a functioning economy fast to keep the Expedition going. After all, you will be supplied from home for only so long.

Diplomacy in a Torn Galaxy
 The Pegasus Galaxy is full of independent factions, with their own grudges, rivalries and fragile alliances, so you’ll need to navigate this diplomatic landscape with care in order to succeed. That will involve both making dynamic deals and treaties in the diplomacy system, as well as making tough choices in dialogue. After all, you are a suspicious and despised newcomer in this galaxy, with limited time and huge expectations to accomplish.

Manage your Fleets and Officers
To survive in this new and often hostile galaxy, it’s extremely important to keep your forces improving and your leaders trained. You will have to work with limited human resources, and choosing the right person for the right job can often make the difference. Assign admirals, governors and special forces operatives to help you to victory.

Stellar Warfare
War never really changes, and the Pegasus galaxy has a lot of it to offer. Choose your strategies and plan your battles well, as in the Pegasus Expedition’s unique combat, careful planning is everything. Espionage and the well thought out movement of your forces will be crucial in war, in order to have your fleets at the right place at the right time.

Technology
In the future, there’s an even shinier future ahead. There are great discoveries to be made, and many things, great and less great, that you can do using those discoveries. To have a chance against your foes, you'll need to be one step ahead of them in technology too, and not just in strategy.

Fight Against the Ever Worsening Odds
Your starting situation is not an easy one... And it’s only going to get worse. The longer the expedition continues, the higher the stakes, with new threats, enemies, backstabbers and heroic resistance movements. Everything to keep the campaign dynamic, interesting, and challenging to the very end. With a plenty of characters, sidequests and twists and turns to the campaign, the dynamic Pegasus Galaxy will present new challenges to face that will keep you on your toes.

System Requirements
Minimum:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

• Processor: Fourth Generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater

• Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Graphics: AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater

• DirectX: Version 11

• Storage: 5 GB available space

• Sound Card: Any DirectX Compatible Sound Device
Recommended:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Game released now to play.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:04:19 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pegasus Expedition
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 10:58:36 am »

The way you chose to promote this game made me feel like I'm in the Truman show.

Game releases EA later today, demo out now, pretty fun demo. sorta pumped.
There's no demo that I can see on its Steam page. I think it must have been made available temporarily, and that's when you grabbed it. Can't you talk about the game? How it plays, what it's similar to, what you like/dislike about it, etc.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 11:28:33 am »

oh thats funny, the demo was available earlier today, guess since game releasing they took it down.

Game is turn based overview galaxy map, real time combat in system. Pretty fun overrall, it takes a hyper aggressive stance on humanity escaping our home galaxy. What would humanity do and act if they were at the point of fighting scorched earth for decades against an enemy force in our home galaxy and losing repeatedly, and our last hope is escaping and surviving in a new galaxy and creating a empire there that can keep humanity alive.

Things dont go well on arrival, and immediately we are at war again. The game feels sorta intense on the  How bad do you have to be to survive in the new galaxy feeling.

Literally choosing to nuke enemy fleets to win a unwinnable battle, destroying homeworlds instead of conquering them to weaken enemy empires. But then that has the effect of people hating you more, I assume like AI war you are supposedly to ride a fine line of being semi quiet on how to do your wars to not have everyone all get their much larger fleets ready for war.

The intensity feels great for a turn based strategy.

Pretty neat from my 2 hours in demo I had. Also felt like a lot of storyline/plot stuff as well in initial demo.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:31:18 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 05:24:18 pm »

oh thats funny, the demo was available earlier today, guess since game releasing they took it down.
A dev posted that they took it down cos it had a bunch of bugs now fixed in the actual game and was missing a lot of QoL improvements (so "not representative of the current state of the game").  Says they intend to bring it back but are focusing on the release version for now.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 07:52:55 am »

so tried it for a bit. My experiences so far:
-pretty much zero diplomacy,
-combat is all about having bigger numbers, occasionally you can do some dmg with a nuke to tip the balance, but as every single enemy has nukes and missiles of their own doesnt matter that much beyond blowing up defensive stations (those do a lot of dmg otherwise). Every battle will have you take a lot of dmg due to the nukes/missiles you have to tank.
-Repairing fleets takes forever and makes those fleets do nothing in the meantime, it seems to be much better to just disband the fleet and build a new one from scratch.
-supply networks work weird or I have no idea what they are supposed to do.
- Apparently doing a frontal assault is on par with a war crime for whatever reason. same with blowing up ships using nukes cause you know, nukes might kill someone unlike the... you know, lasers, missiles, cannons and such, those dont kill people.
-The story is... basically you are leader of an invasion force into another galaxy to either allow people to flee earth before it gets overrun or to use that galaxy to somehow build massive industrial complexes and massive fleets to win the war at home before the aliens who apparently already kicked humans from most of the galaxy manage to kick them from their last system... no idea which one it is.
- Despite you being an invasion force everyone is constantly talking about how nobody wanted an invasion, but the natives dont give a choice, while simultaneously enjoying that the natives kinda gave them at least some justification to wipe them of the face of galaxy cause you know, stopping the invasion or even attempting dimplomacy is not an option for whatever reason.
- Choices do nothing and basically go down to choosing between option A:"I hope it will work out." or B:"it will work out, somehow.".
- Oh, and dont forget to feel bad about how its your fault if someone decides to perform suicide on their own, as if that were supposed to be some moral dilemma or something? srsly, you are leading an invasion force, who cares a political entity on the bring of collapse decided to collapse cause they couldnt stand seeing you in da face? Especially considering that it is not the result of your choices, but the result of the prescripted linear story of the game, if we could call it that.
-colony building is... well, at least for larger planets you can build the individual buildings... for most planets you just get to choose one of 4 options which are the same for each planet.
-cca 80% planetary modifiers say: "this planet cannot support anything more then an outpost". Kinda funny to have 4 such modifiers on a single planet.
- feels inda weird playing as EU.

Overall Id say it might be a somewhat decent indie space game, but nothing much. Might be enjoyable for few hours.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 08:14:23 am by Mkok »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 02:17:25 pm »

after playing the game for last 4 hours, id reccomend not going to war on multiple front early on. Just got my ass handed to me, somehow currently release build the AI seems quite capable of slamming 3 fleets repeatedly into your lines every other turn. Considering my repair and build times for fleets is far longer I gave up on that build.

Im gonna try to be Friend Human this next play through. Going all nuke heavy and heavy offense constantly apparently made me the most hated person ever lol. Which was fun but at the same time fighting fleet after fleet action to lose the system every other turn was driving me nuts.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 03:43:31 pm »

early on fleets replenishing is hard. I am on turn 40 and building a brand new T2 fleet is a matter of 1 turn. All it takes is 2 T2 shipyards on a single planet. Also repairing fleets is cheap and takes only 2 turns if most ships are only damaged but alive, so repair often, but make sure the system doesnt get conquered while repairing or the fleet is goner.