Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is paradox?

Clausewitz games (EU-likes)
- 4 (80%)
Anything made by Paradox (also Legion, Diplomacy etc.)
- 0 (0%)
The two main universes (EU and Ardania)
- 0 (0%)
Anything Paradox ever touched (Svea Rike through Tyranny)
- 0 (0%)
It's that thing where that barber shaves people no one will shave, innit?
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 11:49:11 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris  (Read 23297 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it does sound like character stuff is in, though. If Fåhraeus isn't working on this, there's a decent chance it's because he's working on CK3. They're still working on CK2 DLC, but he hasn't been (visibly) involved in it for a while, and it's been like half a year since they said that they'd be winding down on it (which means that this grab bag of features may well be the last DLC) so it's either that or he's retreated to a purely administrative role, which I doubt. Or he's working on Vicky 3 or something new, but I doubt that even more.

Also, EU: Rome came out long after Crusader Kings, and is way less character oriented, so I think the narrative of it as a predecessor to CK's sequel is a bit rough. I think Johan's statement is more about the paradigm of who you play as, and not about the depth of the character system. He may be saying it now in order to head off the many CK2 fans (who were disappointed at the shallow implementation of characters in Stellaris) or he may just be answering a question honestly, without a deeper marketing narrative. He may not be the same guy, but after Fåhraeus, he's the Paradox dev I trust second most to do a good job, and the proper pop system is probably his doing - and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a relatively deep trade system from him too, though the fact that it's not in the announcement may indicate that they're not yet confident it'll be a core feature of the game.

My main point of confusion is Iberia, though. I'd figure it was just unexplored or uncolonized if it weren't for the fact that the Sahara is the same color. Doesn't make an awful lot of sense for 65% of Iberia to not exist, imo.
My guess is that they just haven't implemented that bit yet, but they figured it would be good enough for the purpose of a promotional screenshot since it looks almost the same anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:26:00 am by Cruxador »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

My main point of confusion is Iberia, though. I'd figure it was just unexplored or uncolonized if it weren't for the fact that the Sahara is the same color. Doesn't make an awful lot of sense for 65% of Iberia to not exist, imo.
My guess is that they just haven't implemented that bit yet, but they figured it would be good enough for the purpose of a promotional screenshot since it looks almost the same anyway.
And if it isn't there due to a design decision, we can at least trust that it will be modded in rather fast.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Posting to DLC watch

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to DLC watch
We should start a DLC betting pool, betting our precious e-peens on the theme/content of dlcs. Cosmetic ones don't count, too easy.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I CALL DLC EXTENDING TP ALEXANDER TIME PERIOD AND MIGRAINE PERIOD/ROMEFALL
Love, scriver~

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First development diary out today. Mostly just words (and words are wind), but it gives us some answers to your questions about Iberia:

That's a lot of tribes.

So akin to how the white paint on the map turned out to be just Terra Incognita for Iberia, and not "uncolonized land" or wasteland, the same could probably be said for the eastern european areas on the previous map. The difference in colour is probably just variation on the "terra incognita" map overlay itself- you can see it on the minimap in the corner as well - and might not mean anything.

Quote from: Other stuff also in the article
  •     We’re removing characters as envoys, as that was a bad mechanic, and you primarily used to get rid of people.
  •     Omens and Religious Prestige were not very fun, and have been changed.
  •     Trade was lots of micromanagement, this have been reworked for a more interesting and fun mechanic.

edit:
Several proto-norse tribes are in. Glory!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:41:41 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, yeah I've seen video of Johan presenting the game now, which is on YouTube, and I can confirm that the white is the same thing in both places and it's just aesthetic variation. Also, I think it actually is wasteland, but what it represents is not actually going to be wasteland in the final game, it's just that they haven't finished adding countries to the game. Which makes sense, they probably wanted to give their history team as long as reasonably possible to get lots of details figured out (and since provinces are replaced by individual cities, they'll need it) and there's no point in continually adding and refining stuff throughout the early part of the dev period if you're just going to have to redo it anyway.

Here's that video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83FxSUjDvjc

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Posting to DLC watch
We should start a DLC betting pool, betting our precious e-peens on the theme/content of dlcs. Cosmetic ones don't count, too easy.

Alright: Successor States, Nomads, Germans, and Persians. Probably separate, but the germans/nomads and the succesor states/persians might be bundled into a bigger thing.

When does this start exactly? That map looks like right before Alexander the Great's conquests.

Edit: nevermind just watched the video and saw the Seleucids.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:24:07 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When does this start exactly? That map looks like right before Alexander the Great's conquests.

It starts just after his death and ends at about year ~30.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It starts just after his death and ends at about year ~30.
It's all but guaranteed that they'll have a DLC to pull the start date back to Philip II of Macedon, with his life and Alexander's having scripted narrative events (like Charlemagne).

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

I'd more prefer DLC to match it up to CKII and allow save transferring.

Also Year 30 sounds like an awful auspicious date to end the game. It's like someone awfully important died around then...  ;)

But I'd very much like to see the spread of Christianity covered. I would have pegged the end of the game closer to like, 400 AD or something.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also Year 30 sounds like an awful auspicious date to end the game. It's like someone awfully important died around then...  ;)
Seems decidedly inauspicious to be honest.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Iirc the first game ended a few years before 0 with a message of someone special unknown person being born in the east...

But I'd very much like to see the spread of Christianity covered. I would have pegged the end of the game closer to like, 400 AD or something.

Me too, but it's definitely DLC material. Though some Germanic migration were already happening during the games timeframe (and, if I recall correctly, there was a large scale Celtic migration period just before the starting year), the massed migration that happened afterwards just wasn't seen, so I doubt there'll be mechanics to portray it properly. It's exactly the kind of thing that requires a focused expansion of it's own. It several.

Another DLC bet: One expanding religions/religious gameplay, mainly focusing on separating and endepthening Roman and Greek cults.

Based on the video showing that at least at this point - and I do want to point out that at this point it may very well still be a placeholder - Roman and Greek traditions are both seemingly covered under one Hellenic faith.
Love, scriver~

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Now that dev diaries are starting, should someone make a thread solely for Imperator?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13