Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is paradox?

Clausewitz games (EU-likes)
- 4 (80%)
Anything made by Paradox (also Legion, Diplomacy etc.)
- 0 (0%)
The two main universes (EU and Ardania)
- 0 (0%)
Anything Paradox ever touched (Svea Rike through Tyranny)
- 0 (0%)
It's that thing where that barber shaves people no one will shave, innit?
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 11:49:11 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris  (Read 23769 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Nah, I don't think there's any need for that when we have this thread.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Nah, I don't think there's any need for that when we have this thread.
We probably should, but I'll wait for consensus.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

I was just going into this thread to ask the same thing myself. So making a separate thread earns my vote.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

While you wait for results from your pitofiable little democracy I cross the river Ebru and move my legions into Rome! All praise Ceasar! All hail the Imperator!
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Based on the overall activity level of this thread and the amount of information available on Imperator, it may be a bit early to give it its  own thread.

Another DLC bet: One expanding religions/religious gameplay, mainly focusing on separating and endepthening Roman and Greek cults.

Based on the video showing that at least at this point - and I do want to point out that at this point it may very well still be a placeholder - Roman and Greek traditions are both seemingly covered under one Hellenic faith.
I wouldn't count on it. Consider how they handled the schism in CK2. And they're not that great with dynamic religious variations in general, and always seem to lump pagan  groups together rather than to differentiate, where possible. There could be a great system for assimilating indigenous religions by finding analogies, as the Roman's historically did, with time and/or mana costs depending on how different the religion is from your own, but Paradox's previous work is so heavily rooted in modern Abrahamic-oriented ideas of what religion should be that I really doubt they're going to do paganism right.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

CK2 needs another DLC content pushing the start date bavk to the 4th century and letting you play as Constantine and Julian the Apostste. Prevent the Great Schism by preventing Christianity from becoming ascendant in the first place
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:55:55 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Thought you guys might appreciate some screencaps from a vicky 2 Greece game I ran today while putting off updating my netherlands lp (warning: big, but they're jpgs so its cool)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also it's been 20+ years since these screenshots and I still haven't gotten an east macedonia crisis to fire, despite me going out of my way to keep the temperature as high as possible 24/7
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Victoria II is the Paradox game I've just been unable to get into. I want to learn it, but its learning curve is much steeper for me than the others. There any good Youtube let's plays in it that y'all could recommend? That's usually been my go to for figuring out how to get into a Paradox game I can't understand.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:10:25 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

PTW.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Victoria II is the Paradox game I've just been unable to get into. I want to learn it, but its learning curve is much steeper for me than the others. There any good Youtube let's plays in it that y'all could recommend? That's usually been my go to for figuring out how to get into a Paradox game I can't understand.
I'm sorry to say that I don't have any LPs to recommend, but I am curious what the issues you're having are. I love Vicky 2, probably moreso than the other Paradox games I've played, and I know the ins and outs reasonably well.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Income in the mid/late game. How do you keep it stable? I did a run as Sweden/Scandinavia and had a good early game thanks to reading a bunch of guides. But in the late game my income just slowly slid down to the negatives and I had zero idea what was wrong or what I could do about it beyond boosting tariffs and taxes on the rich which are apparently terrible things to do long-term.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There could be a lot of causes for that. The best way to diagnose that issue is to keep the game paused and temporarily cut all your expenditures to nothing one by one and see what happens to your income; oftentimes, there'll be one big thing that's escaped your notice and wreaking havoc on your budget. The big ones for me there are usually:

- Cutting army/navy maintenance. Armies get more expensive over time due to supply consumption rising and population growth leading to army growth. In most of my games, unless my factories are really churning out cash, I can't afford to have a 100% maintained army around the clock. This is doubly so for navies, because they require a steady supply of ships to function and those things are expensive.
- Cutting government employee salaries. Once you've got clergy, bureaucrats, and soldiers/officers up to your desired levels, you can pretty safely cut their salaries down to about 25% to 50% without experiencing a notable number of undesired job changes. Soldier salaries are especially important--if you can't afford to cut army maintenance, then cutting soldier salaries is a decent short-term substitute.
- Streamlining the factories and cutting subsidies for anything that doesn't turn a profit. This was a big one for me at first--industrial subsidies can severely cut into your budget. A good rule of thumb, in my experience, is that any factories that are at least 3/5 staffed or so and still aren't turning a profit by about 1880 or 1890 will probably never work out and can be safely cut.

The reason tariffs and taxing the rich is bad is really important to understand, because both of those are very legitimate strategies if you need to use them or if the circumstances make their negatives irrelevant.

Tariffs are generally bad for any factories that require inputs your country doesn't have enough of. For scarce resources like sulfur, rubber, and the like, you will often need to expand your sphere of influence or colonize to obtain enough for reasonable levels of domestic production. Similarly, your pops need exotic goods like coffee, tea, tobacco, and opium that in many countries aren't readily available; tariffs will, on the whole, put a damper on your peoples' (and especially your working class') drug addictions; by itself, this won't do much, but lack of everyday needs like these can exacerbate tensions by raising militancy or consciousness. Tariffs are thus safe to use if your country or sphere of influence has access to all of the goods you need--mainly what your factories need, though very high tariffs are usually a bad idea. Also note that your intended tariff is different from your actual tariff--without a good administration creating high tax efficiency, you can set the tariffs at 100% and only have like 25% actual tariffs.

Taxing the rich is a problem for a similar reason. Under lassiez-faire and interventionism, your capitalists are your entire source of factories. Especially if you're playing a democracy or a country without access to state capitalist or planned economy policies, not having rich enough capitalists to build factories can be a long-term problem. However, if you have access to or mainly use state capitalism or planned economy, you can tax the rich as much as you like with few repercussions. Similarly, in the early game (when there are not as many capitalists and factories are generally unprofitable,) that slider can be a strong component of your economy.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Anyone got any opinions on HoI 4+ DLC? Was pondering on picking it up. Does it have an absurd learning curve?  My only Paradox Grand Strategy experience is in CK2.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I only played the vanilla version, but it's IMO by far the easiest of the Paradox game to grasp.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13