Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is paradox?

Clausewitz games (EU-likes)
- 4 (80%)
Anything made by Paradox (also Legion, Diplomacy etc.)
- 0 (0%)
The two main universes (EU and Ardania)
- 0 (0%)
Anything Paradox ever touched (Svea Rike through Tyranny)
- 0 (0%)
It's that thing where that barber shaves people no one will shave, innit?
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 11:49:11 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris  (Read 23737 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

HOI4 is extremely straightforward and casual, you will be able to learn it no problem.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on how deep of an understanding you want. It shouldn't be very hard to just set war fronts and fight, but there are a lot of different numbers to muck about with, and for the most part, the game doesn't really tell you what they do or how much they matter.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

HOI 4 is the only Hearts of Iron game I've been able to get into, so I would say it's worth a try as a start.

The DLC is really not necessary unless you want to play specific factions. Since I mostly play Kaiserreich it's not a big deal to me.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's kind of funny that people keep saying they want Paradox games to go from Rome to CK. It'll never happen for the same reason CK2 will never be pushed back any earlier than it is: Paradox will not mimic the rise of Islam. It'd get them a lot of flak, and alienate them, from Muslim players and Islam-majority countries.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure they even said as much years ago.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

It's kind of funny that people keep saying they want Paradox games to go from Rome to CK. It'll never happen for the same reason CK2 will never be pushed back any earlier than it is: Paradox will not mimic the rise of Islam. It'd get them a lot of flak, and alienate them, from Muslim players and Islam-majority countries.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure they even said as much years ago.
I can safely say I've never heard of this before.  They've always seemed fine with Islam rising before, given that they even added playable Muslims early to CKII and given how powerful the Ottomans are in EU4.  Do you happen to recall where they said this years ago?  The only quirk in CK2 I've heard of that is tailored to (primarily Sunni) Islamic sensibilities was Muhammad's portrait. 

CK2 won't be pushed back any further for a much simpler reason than Islam: it's already barely able to deal with the era it covers.  Its core systems are very limited in both geography and chronology, and it shows.  Even in Christian Europe, tanistry was a pain to add and the rota system is right out.  Old Gods was tricky enough, but the timescale expansion in Charlemagne already pushes the limits of the core mechanics.  Handling the fall of Rome in CK2 is best left to mods.  For Rome, I'd be surprised to find it any better.  The decline and fall of Rome and especially the Great Migrations are things that would probably go better in their own game. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:01:33 pm by Culise »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

CK2 really struggles outside of ironclad rules of the land that are immutable and based on 11th-thirteenth century feudalism, and the further outside its zone it gets the more precarious the number of hats that internal feudalism wears becomes. The collapse of the WRE really is just too far unless they throw accuracy into the med
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so imperator will have mana

seems like johan is guiding the ship on this one after doomdark fucked up stellaris

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

seems like johan is guiding the ship on this one after doomdark fucked up stellaris
Stellaris is Wiz's child though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Doomdark used to be lead designer for Stellaris before Wiz took over for whatever reason. While 2.0 was quite the departure I think that it's still not 100% Wiz's baby yet. But certainly getting there.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really think he did. Stellaris fell short in a lot of ways, but at launch it had a lot of promise. Launching without having realized that promise might reflect poorly on his project management skills, but throwing that promise away was all on Wiz.

But yeah, Johan is helming Imperator, and I'm cautiously optimistic about that. EU4 suffered from the idea that it's the entry level game, and was also the first to rely heavily on mana so it wasn't as refined of a mechanic. He seems like he's letting his Vicky-level autism loose on this one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2018, 04:30:16 pm »

Anyone play Victoria II with A Heart of Darkness? I am killing myself here trying to get the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom to survive at the 1861 start date. Astoundingly I've been able to successively prolong my longevity but the overwhelming supremacy of the Qing dynasty at that time period (historically when the Kingdom fell) means that I can't sustain flawless victories, with no strategic depth and the Qing forces outnumbering me 2 to 1. The advantage I have is infantry, but every single one of their stacks is led whilst I can recruit just 1 leader in the immediate months necessary for survival. A single mistake always leads to total immediate death, whilst every flawless run has thus far resulted in prolonged inevitable death. How can I crack this nut? Perhaps at that point it truly is just too late for the Heavenly Rebellion.

*EDIT
But there must be something I'm missing... There must be a way to turn the tide. There must be! What is it?!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:33:03 pm by Loud Whispers »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:13 am »

Opium.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2018, 03:24:56 am »

Do a Serbian
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:39 pm »

Anyone play Victoria II with A Heart of Darkness? I am killing myself here trying to get the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom to survive at the 1861 start date. Astoundingly I've been able to successively prolong my longevity but the overwhelming supremacy of the Qing dynasty at that time period (historically when the Kingdom fell) means that I can't sustain flawless victories, with no strategic depth and the Qing forces outnumbering me 2 to 1. The advantage I have is infantry, but every single one of their stacks is led whilst I can recruit just 1 leader in the immediate months necessary for survival. A single mistake always leads to total immediate death, whilst every flawless run has thus far resulted in prolonged inevitable death. How can I crack this nut? Perhaps at that point it truly is just too late for the Heavenly Rebellion.

*EDIT
But there must be something I'm missing... There must be a way to turn the tide. There must be! What is it?!!!

Can't you just get into the sphere of UK or something, and let them deal with Qing?

Regarding Stellaris: I'm pretty sure the problem is that all other paradox games are based in a real world with fixed geography.  Its NOT balanced, as you can start as a Count or a King, or a OPM or France, or as Abu Dabi or France.  Stellaris is too samey, what they need is a fixed start with fixed empires of varying size and story hooks on how the little guys might just maybe get to be the big guys, and mechanics that allow that transition.  The total conversion mods of Stellaris are actually pretty good because they give that stuff.  Play on the Star Trek or Warhammer 40000 knockoffs and its a nice game.  All paradox needs to do is create their own fixed galaxy for the players to muck around in, and Stellaris could be good.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13