Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is paradox?

Clausewitz games (EU-likes)
- 4 (80%)
Anything made by Paradox (also Legion, Diplomacy etc.)
- 0 (0%)
The two main universes (EU and Ardania)
- 0 (0%)
Anything Paradox ever touched (Svea Rike through Tyranny)
- 0 (0%)
It's that thing where that barber shaves people no one will shave, innit?
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 11:49:11 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris  (Read 23300 times)

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thought it was amusing that they reference Dwarf Fortress. XD

https://imgur.com/UyFZCZI

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't say I had any intentions of picking up Imperator either, until the RockPaperShotgun review did make me tempted (here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/04/25/imperator-rome-review/).

But... that review sounds a heck of a lot different than what you all here are saying. Huh. Glad I didn't impulse-buy after reading the review (which is more or less what I did with HOI4, to much regret).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't say I had any intentions of picking up Imperator either, until the RockPaperShotgun review did make me tempted (here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/04/25/imperator-rome-review/).

But... that review sounds a heck of a lot different than what you all here are saying. Huh. Glad I didn't impulse-buy after reading the review (which is more or less what I did with HOI4, to much regret).
This thread has the opinions of people who play Paradox games, while RPS, which tends to be upbeat in general, writes for a very broad and fairly casual audience. Even so, note that the review you linked refers to EU4 trade as "mind-mangling" and assures you that Imperator diplomacy is far simpler. He also says that there wasn't much else to do besides blobbing, and although he assumed that it was because he picked a small tribe, he also says that once it was big, he got bored because there was nothing to do. When he goes to Rome, it doesn't hold his attention beyond his scheduled review time, and he talks more about what he imagined than what he experienced - the one political detail that came up is that his government didn't want him to blob but he decided to do so anyway. The information was there, just from a very different perspective.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, I had interpreted it as writing what he could of the Rome playthrough within deadline (without commenting on whether it held his attention afterwards). And the implications of "government didn't want him to blob" could be pretty interesting, depending on the details.

But I suppose I may have been looking for something to like, as pretty much every Paradox game I've approached I keep expecting to be 'more than blobbing' to varying degrees of satisfaction or disappointment.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

So far I found my tribal play through much more political than my Rome one (which might, admittedly, have been easier because it was based from out of the tutorial), even if the relevant actors are a lot fewer. When all you can do is invade neighbours, and your fellow clan chiefs each control a significant amount of your forces, keeping them happy is the number one task of the game.
Love, scriver~

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its a fun game, if you want to wait patch 1.1 will have a bunch of free content including updated naval warfare, two consul systems for Rome and more character interaction. The game got over-hyped and while it is in great shape for a starting Paradox release. Looking at EU4 on launch or stellaris it should be much better further into the future. Mods are already starting up that provide interesting changes to gameplay and all that fun stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

so patch 1.1 will have what should have been the release version, then in about a year with 4 dlc it will be a fun game? It's the way of Paradox

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If anyone buys a Paradox game without expecting the Paradox standard that's on them. The fact that they're pushing out  so soon tells me either:
1) They planned on including and were working on those systems but weren't able to get them working in time for release.
or
2) They were going to hold onto it as DLC, probably stuff that would've been part of the "free update" portion.

For reference to those with weak google-fu or, like I usually am, are the absolute laziest piece of shit, here's the post from the Paradox forum re: their current roadmap

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd say it was option b if it wasn't for the fact that some of that seems like things they'd have liked to include at launch. Sure you could break down what kind of DLCs all of that would've been attached to, but I like to have some faith in humanity.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just spent a weekend with it.  Coming from a guy who loved even Stellaris and HOI4 at release, this is probably my least favorite Paradox GSG at release since Sengoku.

There's literally nothing to do except blob on an overly huge map.  You can tell they wanted to put some interesting systems and content there, but right now, it's just framework.  I mean, I played Carthage and they give you only two national decisions.  They tried to put in a character system, but you can't even rename anybody let alone plot or even decide who to marry.  The whole electoral succession system reminds me of playing as a Republic in CK2, where the elections are so frequent and random you never end up getting attached to anyone.  There are literally only four buildings to build, yet somehow none of them are aqueducts or coliseums?  The strategic resource system makes the exact same mistake as Stellaris at release, there's so many of them that they mostly fly over your head.

Hard pass on this one until at least a Holiday Sale.  There's literally nothing there yet.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like how the strategic resources are handled, actually.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I gotta disagree on the resource bit. It adds at least a single layer of depth and purpose to trade, and you just gotta hover your cursor over the resource for a split second to see what it does. Also, technically there's only six Strategic Resources. The rest have their own categories and spheres of effect. Each resource has three different bonuses they apply (owning, surplus, exporting), and condensing them down would make the game feel emptier.

In my opinion resources and trade are practically the only major mechanics that are pretty fleshed out at release. On a regular scale too, not the Scale of Paradox Interactive Digital Entertainment Release Standards.

Play as a Settled Tribe somewhere if you want more of a people manager. It's a bit much with a fuckton of senators and shit, but a small tribe only has a handful of characters you need to keep tabs on. There isn't a lot to do in the way of interaction, but I found myself having a lot of fun regardless - posted in the Imperator thread about it, even.

I also however do think that once again hype and hatetrains are biting into this release. It was hyped up by both Paradox and the public beyond what should have been, but I hadn't looked into Imperator until a week before release and after I'd seen some of the gameplay from youtube nerds. Shit I mean saying that now, watching a couple different people play would've shown people exactly what to expect. I went into Imperator without hype and knowing what gameplay looked like and that definitely affects the fact that I think it's a nice, fun, but very shallow game at release. I also haven't had any of the issues people have been harping about since release. Obviously the issues exist, but my personal experience has yet to be touched by them.

tl;dr opinions but I got 21 hours in the game since release but I was also entertained by the mess of Bladestorm and thought Mass Effect: Andromeda was a great new beginning for the ME universe, so I might also just have shitty tastes

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After having played it a bit, I actually think this could be Paradox's best (non-CK2*) game. That's not to say that it is now, of course, but based on the framework that exists, there's strong potential for interesting gameplay once all the mechanics are made to matter. It's got some good stuff under the hood, it's just that you mostly don't care too much about it yet. But I found different governments to play pretty different, (albeit based only on the two that I tried so far) which is a very good sign. It'll be a while but still, I'm optimistic.

*I'm not necessarily saying that CK2 is better, but I think the style is too different for direct comparison.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:31:37 am by Cruxador »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

First of all, @Man of Paper, Bladestorm is a masterpiece and one of my favorite games of all time.

Secondly, I have not delved too many hours into Imperator yet, but to echo what has already been said it does seem a fair criticism to say that A.) the game is rather poorly optimized, and B.) there does appear to be only a thin veneer of flavor over the blobbing mechanics--I mean EUIV was already very blobby, but Imperator does little to head back to the more CKII-esque forming and reforming of nations and from some of the videos I've seen most games end up with someone blobbing big time.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2022, 05:47:00 pm »

Arise, thread from the past!

I've lately been fiddling with Megacampaigns and converters in order to get new worlds to play in EU4, Victoria 2, and HOI4.

Crusader Kings 2 is the only game I know of with a random world generator, so it's the only way I can see to get random new worlds for the titles set in the future.

I've also been curious about the Imperator to Crusader Kings 2 converter.

Anyone got any interesting worlds for any of these titles?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Paradox General Thread- Victorian Crusader Universalis: Heart of Stellaris
« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2022, 08:35:34 am »

The converter works for random worlds? So you can get random vic2 worlds? Surely this is not possible
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13