Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay - There Can Only Be One... Apparently  (Read 2638 times)

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay - There Can Only Be One... Apparently
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:55:47 pm »

Whenever I atttempt to create pottery, I get brickwalled by a rather absurd thing.

To make... lets say a jug... I would need "Clay" and a kiln. My problem is that "Clay" is an actual singular item and not the five different types of clay (Loam, Sandy, Peat...)

I can't use Sandy Clay or Clay Loam... I can only use "Clay". I can't figure out whether I can turn other clay types into just "Clay".

I know that Masterwork changes the pottery system a bit, so if someone could help, that'd be great.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay - There Can Only Be One... Apparently
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:38 am »

I know that you are supposed to process those non-clay clay soils in a workshop first which gives you proper clay, however, I can't recall which workshop is used.

*Edit: Okay, I just checked. You need to build a pottery workshop first. Then you can sieve clay from other types of soil. You need to make a pottery workshop anyway since you have to shape the clay into whatever you are going to put into the kiln first.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:50:11 am by c0mplex »

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:31:56 pm »

Within the pottery workshop, I can only sieve "Sandy Clay Loam" and "Silty Clay Loam" to get clay.

The only soil types I can find are "Sandy Clay", "Sandy Loam", "Clay Loam", "Silty Clay", etc... I cannot find a version of soil that contains all three words (Sandy. Clay. Loam.). I can only find soils that contain 2 of the 3 words.

Have I just not found the correct clay yet or am I missing something?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:41:35 pm »

sorry to copy and paste on your post, common question answered often.... let me guess playing humans?  I'm not much into the clay industry... It aggravates me every time I try.

Hey, Meph. I'm playing the latest masterwork and I'm having some trouble with my clay industry. I have produced boulders of "silty clay", but cannot sieve them or use them directly in the pottery. Also, I have "silty clay loam" nearby that cannot be collected (does not count as clay in the zones selector). Any idea what's going on here?

If you really want to know whats going on here... check inside.... its a lot of reading as I cruised the raws for you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My suggestion, if you don't want to regenerate a world with the added permissions from above....

just edit the reaction_kobold.txt file in your save folder and replace all of:
 [REAGENT:clay:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:CLAY]
with:
 [REAGENT:clay:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
and you will be able to use all clays as normal and you will be able to detail which clay to use... and it shouldn't require a new world generation as your not removing or adding tokens.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »

I'm actually playing with dwarves. Nevertheless, I shall try what you said. Thanks!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:52:00 am »

yeah humans for some reason are missing permissions for all of the clay sieves....
dwarves have permission for the ones that are written, and to add aggravation.... the clay that can be sieved, can't be targeted for retrieval, so the reactions
are useless, unless a trader shows up with those clay(EXTREMELY HIGHLY UNLIKELY, you can't even request them from the trade liaison).

The code snip above will fix it for Dwarf and Kobold.   humans have an odd 'cheat' where they still have access to the old reactions that never were removed, but late in the game as they get use to using foreigner workshops... they come across the problem and its the same reactions that are fixed by that code snip.

Here's from my personal notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:59:45 am »

I'm more confused by the fact that, in dwarf mode, I have these reactions but I can't collect the compound clay (as in sandy clay, clay loam etc). Are they meant to be collectible? If not, the reactions are useless to me.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 08:52:41 pm »

thats what I was trying to get at... its almost like when they were adding things in and out of the mod they either put something in without editing the other half of the files they needed or started to remove something and forgot to remove the rest.... or possibly an older file version put in by accident? maybe?  Its not intentionally done that way.  I wish I knew the consensus on which direction people want to do it? sieve or the original way?
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:45:53 pm »

I've had similar difficulty - none of the reactions will recognize anything except actual plain Clay or Fireclay.  I wind up having to either use dfhack's "changelayer CLAY" or go without.

The raws for the other types of psuedo-clay all look correct ... they just don't actually seem to work ...