Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Theory  (Read 1241 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Game Theory
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:54:25 pm »

I've been working on a problem in combinatorial game theory for some time now, and I thought I'd share it with the world in hopes of getting some new insight.

My work so far can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cmIpntT8tm8hSIkLohbFh06Gd6-PaxIxGChgC4viDDE/edit?usp=sharing

As part of a Game Theory class back in spring, I developed a game which I called "Negative". The rules are simple: Two player take turns removing black or white squares from a rectangular grid. One player, whom I will name Alice, may remove only black squares; her opponent, Bob, may only remove white squares. During a player's turn, that player removes one square of their color, then inverts the color of all orthogonally adjacent squares. Play ends when one player is unable to remove any squares of their color; the last player to make a move wins.

Spoiler: Example of play (click to show/hide)

The rules are not complicated, but the game itself explodes quickly. For the moment, let's restrict ourselves to games on a 1xn grid, which we can represent as a number like so:
Convert the number to its binary representation, and ignore any leading zeroes. Remove the most-significant (left-most) one, then convert any zeroes to black squares and any ones to white squares. For example, 13 is 1101, which represents the game {BAB}.
Obviously, some games will be represented twice (5 = {AB}, 6 = {BA}). The number of unique (up to reflection) games of n squares is given by OEIS sequence A005418.

The first few terms of this sequence are: 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 20, 36, 72, 136, ...
As you can see, the number of unique games nearly doubles every time you add another square.

I have thus far been unable to find any general winning strategy, even on games containing less than seven squares. For any strategy I can devise, there is at least one game that causes this strategy to fail; a simple strategy to maximize the number of squares of one's own color fails as early as {AABB}, for example (the winning move for Alice is to move to {BBB}, not {B}+{AB}).

Spoiler: Some observations (click to show/hide)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Game Theory
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:02 am »

Neat!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:36 pm »

New observation:
I got the idea for this game from those light puzzles you see in a lot of other games. You know, the ones where you have a square grid of lights and you have to make them all one color by inverting groups of them at a time? The rules for inverting colors are exactly the same here.

That game is called "Lights Out", specifically when it is a grid of 5x5 or another odd square. In Lights Out, assuming the initial configuration is solvable, each square needs to be pressed (flipping it and the squares around it) either once or zero times, and order doesn't matter. In fact, a winning strategy exists for all solvable configurations of 5x5 Lights Out, with a simple extension to other square grids, though it may require pressing certain squares multiple times; it is not the optimal solution.

To get from that to the two-player variant, "Negative", is not a simple task; Lights Out does not restrict the squares you may press, so that must be added as a stipulation.

We can analyze a simpler, impartial variant of Negative, which more closely resembles Lights Out. This time, both players may only play on white. Each square may be pressed at most once, as before. Also as before, play ends when either player is unable to press a white square, though in this case this is equivalent to all unpressed squares being black.

I can't be certain, but I have a suspicion that "solving" this simpler game might lead us to a better understanding of Negative. If, for example, we can prove that an optimal solution to a given Lights Out configuration never requires pressing a black square, we might be able to directly show that the same solution leads to a winning solution for one player of that same configuration in impartial Negative.

Spoiler: Elaboration: (click to show/hide)

I'm going to work on adjusting my algorithm to handle the impartial game.

By the way, if anyone knows how to work cgsuite (an application designed to aid in the analysis of combinatorial games), I'd love to know what it says about Negative (partial or impartial).
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »

PTW.

I'm sorry for not contributing anything for now.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:35:02 am »

That's certainly interesting, are you working on making a playable version of this?

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:04:46 pm »

You say you're looking for help; you mean to solve this game?  Because it sure looks like there's interest in playing it.

If there's no general winning strategy, then you've come up with something salable.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

I may implement this in JS+HTML for practice in the future, then you all could play it :p

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:41:15 pm »

I have thus far been unable to find any general winning strategy, even on games containing less than seven squares. For any strategy I can devise, there is at least one game that causes this strategy to fail; a simple strategy to maximize the number of squares of one's own color fails as early as {AABB}, for example (the winning move for Alice is to move to {BBB}, not {B}+{AB}).

Well the winning strategy is probably more along the line of "if you see pattern X, do move Y", so the job of the strategist is to determine what those patterns are, as you would in a game like Othello/Reversi.

Obviously games of less than 3 tiles left are trivial. The game is then deterministic based on who goes first and what the board configuration is. We can assume "A"lice always goes first for the purposes of designing strategies.

AA - Bob wins.
AB - Alice Wins.
BB - Bob wins.

So player 2 always wins 2/3 random games for length 2 boards.

AAA - Alice can go on the left or middle. If she goes on the left, you get BA, then bob wins, otherwise you get B_B and Bob wins.
AAB - alice can go on the left or middle.  If she goes on the left, you get BB, and alice wins, otherwise you get B_A and Alice wins.
ABB - Alice has no choices at all. She goes on the left => AB, bob goes on the right => B. Bob wins.
BAB - Alice has no choices at all. She goes in the middle => A_A, Alice Wins
BBB - Bob wins
ABA - Alice can go on the left. Then you get AA, Alice wins.

I've ignored mirror-image games. From what I can tell, none of the 3x1 games actually have a choice that allows the current player to affect winning or losing. But I can tell you something about the strategy now.

"Islands" are separated 1x1 areas. Since they are either A or B, you want to prevent making 1x1 "islands" for your opponent. Also the 2x1 areas can be exploited, because knowing what color they are and who's turn it is gives you a deterministic evaluation of who will win them. Note, you can ignore any solid-color ones and only have to worry about the AB ones.

So ... AABB with Alice to move (With bob to move is a mirror image of this game, but with B instead of A)

Alice can move AABB -> B_AB. But this creates two separate low-level pieces Bob can exploit. He can flip the AB => B or eliminate the "island B". Notes, that if he flips the "island B", then Alice can flip AB => _A creating her own Island. So when you see an AB and it's your turn you should always flip that before any Islands. Alice shouldn't move AABB -> B_AB because you don't want to create AB's on your opponent's turn or give them islands of their color. That's your strategy.

Alice can alternately flip AABB -> BBB. But as you'll notice from my evaluation above, when you have 3x1 of your own color and its your turn, your opponent always wins. Alice as an experienced player knows this and creates a BBB that bob needs to move on during his turn, which results in an Alice win.

Let's see if this same logic can be applied to other 4x1 games. Obviously ones with only one "A" are trivial since there's only one choice, they devolve straight to the lesser puzzles. So it needs to be alternate 2A, 3A or 4A puzzles:

ABAB. (result: not a game)
- ABAB => AAB. Rule: Someone (bob) forced to go on the end of a 3x1 loses, so Alice wins.
- ABAB => AA_A. Alice wins this easily, no question.

ABBA (palindrome) => _ABA. Someone forced to go in the middle of a 3x1 wins, so Alice wins. Not a game.
BAAB (palindrome) => A_BB. Bob goes to the BB => A giving Alice two islands so Alice wins. Not a game.

AAAB has more choices (but none of them favor the A player)
 => _BAB. Rule: someone who can pick from left or right of a 3x1 wins. So bob wins
 => B_BB: alice made islands for bob, so he wins.
 => AB_A: better, alice made an island for herself. But still, bob flips AB=>B, alice flips her island, then bob flips his and wins.

Well, I think the strategy for 1xn could just be memorizing the patterns for 1x3 then avoiding making patterns that favor your enemy while trying to make islands that favor yourself. Also, always flip ABs before islands, because ABs favor whoever flips them first.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:00:52 pm by Reelya »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 01:45:16 pm »

How is this different than Go?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:02 am »

I don't think it's simlar to Go at all. In this one the board starts full, and you delete tiles, also flipping over adjacent tiles. That's not how Go works.