Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Prayer in Adventure Mode  (Read 4897 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer in Adventure Mode
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 01:03:32 am »

Looks like changing a belief can't remove a related need.

I found one of the bugged bandits that that wouldn't reply to me - but I could reply to myself. So I convinced myself of "the worthlessness of family" but I still have the need "Be with family".

But then I convinced myself of "the value of friendship" and now I have the need "Be with friends" that I didn't have before. Convincing myself of the "nuances" or "worthlessness" of friendship won't then get rid of the need.

So, it seems you can add needs but not remove them. You can probably add easily satisfied needs - but the bandit suffocated so I can't really test anymore right now.

Hmm, does talking to sleepers still do that reply to yourself thing?
When you customise your adventurer, the needs scale is pretty long. Are you sure you didn't just reduce need for family from incredibly high to fairly high?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:43 am »

That's a possibility. The threshold to remove a need might not be the same as to add one. Not sure how to move it lower - maybe by convincing others of the worthlessness of family or agreeing with those who already hold that belief. Or switching between nuance worthless.

Or maybe there's a limit to how much it can change.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »

So I tried a new character. In creation I :
first I set everything neutral,
then slightly adjusted the personality traits to remove all needs,
then slightly adjusted the values to add slight needs.

I then went into the game, waited until night, and talked to sleeping dwarves. Talking to sleepers allows you to talk to yourself if you skip the greeting.

No amount or order of acquiescing to nuances or worthlessness would remove any of the needs. So if there's a way to remove them it's not that easy.

I couldn't find any way to add the need to Pray and it wasn't listed in the creation screen - but then I had it in the game. So even if there is some way to remove needs, needing to Pray doesn't seem to be linked to values.

Anyway, like SkeleBret said you can still become focused! even with unmet needs.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:12 am »

To properly pray, you must shout something related to what your god does. Fortresses? Only pray in a town, talking about the city. War? Scream out about the random pig you murdered.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 12:49:38 am »

No, the proper way to pray is to choose your deity from the talk menu:

Creatures that worship elven Forces (or don't worship anything) don't get that option. Creatures that worship a Force may (will?) still get the need.

All that dwarf has to do is greet that deity and she is focused!. (Pray is her only need.)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:56 am »

No, the proper way to pray is to choose your deity from the talk menu:

Creatures that worship elven Forces (or don't worship anything) don't get that option. Creatures that worship a Force may (will?) still get the need.

All that dwarf has to do is greet that deity and she is focused!. (Pray is her only need.)

I know, I was saying when you're praying you should be shouting something related to them.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 [2]