Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prayer in Adventure Mode  (Read 4831 times)

Stinthad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prayer in Adventure Mode
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:34 am »

My elven adventurer has listed under his needs "Pray to Yawo" but pressing 'k' only gives the options "Begin a performance" or "Shout out to everybody". Now he is unfocused because of it. Help?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:44:13 pm »

My elven adventurer has listed under his needs "Pray to Yawo" but pressing 'k' only gives the options "Begin a performance" or "Shout out to everybody". Now he is unfocused because of it. Help?
You should be able to start a conversation with your God. Just say hi, it'll keep you focussed for the day.

Hmm. But the conversation menu bugs out occasionally. Try shouting, then finishing the conversation, then trying again.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »

0.43.05 Eagleman in elf civ has same problem.

Shouting doesn't start a conversation I can finish. Skipping the greeting starts conversation with a raven but saying goodbye didn't help. Having a conversation with an elf and ending by saying goodbye doesn't help. Singing a song didn't help. Still no pray option.

Edit: Gonna try a new world.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:34:43 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:43:59 pm »

Wait, so you do have a start conversation option? That's all you need, there's no actual pray option.
You should be able to just choose that and select your God from the list.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:54:05 pm »

No. Where the deity would be listed is blank. There just preformance and shout options.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »

Adventurers from elf civilizations worship "forces", not gods. Forces can't be prayed to, as far as I know. So the distraction can never be gotten rid of. You can still have an undistracted adventurer from an elf civilization by having other needs and keeping focused on them.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:54 pm »

I thought that was the case but since some else posted about it...

And there is no in game way of changing who/what you worship, right?

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 02:23:18 am »

According to the Wiki, you can take on the worship of another deity by finding a temple and talking to a priest about services. If that works, and you can spea[k] to the deity, you should return to the Not Distracted state after a short period of time. Doing this with multiple deities should allow you to be Focused! again.

I haven't had an opportunity to test this out yet, so it may or may not work.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:42:22 am »

According to the Wiki, you can take on the worship of another deity by finding a temple and talking to a priest about services. If that works, and you can spea[k] to the deity, you should return to the Not Distracted state after a short period of time. Doing this with multiple deities should allow you to be Focused! again.

Fortress dorfs get distracted not being able to pray to specific gods. Is that not the same for adventurers?

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:26:17 pm »

Fortress dorfs get distracted not being able to pray to specific gods. Is that not the same for adventurers?

Yes, the god/force that the adventurer is unable to worship will still distract them, but if the adventurer has other needs that are met it can outweigh the distraction. The Wiki says that level of focus is determined by the ratio of unmet needs to met needs, rather than how deep the distraction is, or something like that.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 04:36:20 pm »

According to the Wiki, you can take on the worship of another deity by finding a temple and talking to a priest about services.

I'll try it, I need to visit the humans anyway, these elves have nothing. I'm just glad I can fly over the ocean that separates all the remaining civs in this world.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:41 am »

huh...
Code: [Select]
You: Hello Tode.
The holy howl Tode Umacebdi: Hey.  It is good to see you.  Welcome to The Fuchsia Cathedral.  Praise be to Resmi the Saffron Whiskers.
You: Tell me about this temple.
The holy howl Tode Umacebdi: This is The Fuchsia Cathedral.  In 118, The Hoary Doctrines formed in The Fuchsia Cathedral in Joi
nedwashed.
You: You look like a mighty warrior indeed.
The holy howl Tode Umacebdi: I am holy howl.  I was once a fishery worker.
You: What's available here?
The holy howl Tode Umacebdi: I don't work here.
But the really confusing part was what he said when asked about the elf force that I worship:
Code: [Select]
You: What can you tell me about Rofa?
The holy howl Tode Umacebdi: I worship Rofa.
That "Resmi the Saffron Whiskers" is a human god but isn't a conversation option. Legends mode also reveals the previous and founding "holy howl" profaned the temple after just two years and now wanders as a wereskink.

Legends mode mentions some humans that became priests in the same year I got there but I've never seen them at the temple.

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 04:00:50 am »

Well, shoot. Another thing you can try is talking to someone about their values and acquiescing to them. I'm not completely sure if it'll change anything, but I assume if you acquiesce to someone who values nature or fighting for example, it'll give you the corresponding need.

But the most important thing by far that we've learned is that 'holy howl' sounds a bit similar to 'holy hell'

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »

I've thought about that for his wanting to spend time with the family he doesn't have, but haven't gotten around to trying it. (I maybe should have paid more attention to his needs during character creation, but where's the !!FUN!! in that.)

There's some guy that hangs out in the human keep who's job is "holy crab" whatever that is. (Maybe Legends mode could provide context, I haven't looked.) Edit: I checked - The "holy crab" is the leader of another religion that was formed in another temple that was razed 7 years ago by the local government.

Edit: It looks like you can only acquiesce if they bring the it up. So you'd have to convince them of the value you want and wait until they try to convince you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:25:53 pm by Ziusudra »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 10:35:15 pm »

Looks like changing a belief can't remove a related need.

I found one of the bugged bandits that that wouldn't reply to me - but I could reply to myself. So I convinced myself of "the worthlessness of family" but I still have the need "Be with family".

But then I convinced myself of "the value of friendship" and now I have the need "Be with friends" that I didn't have before. Convincing myself of the "nuances" or "worthlessness" of friendship won't then get rid of the need.

So, it seems you can add needs but not remove them. You can probably add easily satisfied needs - but the bandit suffocated so I can't really test anymore right now.

Hmm, does talking to sleepers still do that reply to yourself thing?
Pages: [1] 2