Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 145654 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN returns!
« Reply #1215 on: August 13, 2018, 08:56:52 pm »

"Sure, Joe, no problem.  What did you have in mind?"
"We have some body armor that could use disguising, shields too."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 13, 2018, 09:31:00 pm »

"Can do.  I'll head out there after I finish up here.

Do you have anything else planned after?  I could use your help with another job."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »

"Can do.  I'll head out there after I finish up here.

Do you have anything else planned after?  I could use your help with another job."
"Beyond whatever the boss has next for us, not really. Remember, I have a limit to my powers, unlike you."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 13, 2018, 11:20:43 pm »

"I do too.  I can't illusion your stuff up from here, for instance, and it'll probably be easier to hide if we put the gear in a bag or a box first, as I can only do a couple illusions at a time.  It also sucks up the puissance good.. I can only maintain enough for a couple at once, and it won't fool anyone really powerful."

"Plus I have a demon who gets a share and will happily eat me for breakfast if I fail one task it decides to give me."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 14, 2018, 12:54:47 am »

"I do too.  I can't illusion your stuff up from here, for instance, and it'll probably be easier to hide if we put the gear in a bag or a box first, as I can only do a couple illusions at a time.  It also sucks up the puissance good.. I can only maintain enough for a couple at once, and it won't fool anyone really powerful."

"Plus I have a demon who gets a share and will happily eat me for breakfast if I fail one task it decides to give me."
"Heh. Guess your deal with the devil was exactly that. Best of luck with that."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 14, 2018, 01:30:46 am »

"Yeah.  I think I'll take the next job off to deal with some of the personal things.  Hell, I have to have an illusion up because my clothes are still ripped up from the trip through the canal."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:49:40 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 19, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »

I don't understand how that means I get no action? I thought we had agreed that I was going to carry the box for the team since we needed someone to protect it (or at least that's what I remember) and that I would follow the group from above to make sure no one on the ground can reach it. Can we also get a recap on where everyone is? I'm kinda lost and I don't remember being on a room.

As for an actual action, ignore the box and ask the knights about the Church of England Necromancers. Particularly, if they would be willing to teach a novice lich necromancer like me some rituals and such. Like raising the dead as zombies or animating skeletons.

I just meant you had bolded text but didn't do anything, as the bolded text was just communicating with teammates.

You're in the knight's underground HQ right now.

The kinghts say that you probably won't even get close to the necromancers without offering them something. They're dangerous, closely-knit group of magical outsiders from the barbaric north, and will be extremely distrustful of potential acolytes, especially ones allied to another group.

They can point you to someone who can teach you to raise basic zombies of skeletons, no trouble. Hell, you could probably figure out a method on your own, if you didn't mind experimenting a bit. Start your own school of necromancy with homebrewed techniques.

Get some food while I'm here.

Go loot a marker or something from Vince's, and write a Muster on Ben's vest. He might find that useful.

Food eh? You buy a packet of fish and chips wrapped in a scroll covered in what could be ancient and occult symbols, though it's hard to tell, what with all the vinegar leaking on it.

You take a marker pen from Vince's desk, but Ben is nowhere to be found. Calling him won't work, obviously. People like that don't use mobiles. Or anything that the government could use to listen in on their movements.

Call Up Namani. She's not so important she can't help us out.

"Hey, Namani. Don Joe here. Could you help us out with some illusions? We're by the knight headquarters."
I'm responding to this because it's bolded, but calling people is generally a free action, so no need to bold it.

NJW, the silenced pistol should be in Ben's inventory.  Nanami gave it to him, as she has no banal combat skills and magical weaponry.

Talk with Alice.  Tell her that Dave mostly does 2-d artwork and writing for the site, but that I don't mind introducing them to each other.  Also tell her that most of the video was Nanami's work.. although she cheated somewhat, and a lot of the camerawork was done by someone not with the group.

Anyway, Nanami will say she needs it uploaded for an investor, and if it goes through there will be money for the next round of filming, including hiring Alice formally.  If it doesn't go through, Nanami will help out with modelling, costuming, supplies, etc, for something Alice is working on in return.

After those discussions, go help Don Joe move the armour back to base without gathering attention.

Alice meets up with Dave, who is somewhat overawed in the presence of genuine drive and talent. Dave shows her the previous stuff you've made, and she immediately comes up with a few suggestions about places to take the comic and ways to improve the website. You leave them talking and working, Alice agreeing to edit one video without being paid beforehand.

You then help Don move the stuff back to base, which is pretty easy, as it just involves wheeling some cardboard boxes through the streets. No magical beings give you trouble for low-key equipment, though a couple of winged horses do frolic around you for a bit. The things have glamours of their own, and evidently appreciate someone willing to manipulate people through beauty.

((Yaaay!  It's back!  :D ))

Go visit the Transport For London Mages, asking about securing transport across the river for a future delivery.  We don't want to tell them the precise details, of course, certainly not before we've agreed to use their services, but tell them the basic jist of our problem: We need to get a van full of people across the bridge, and we've got enemies who want to capture the van hunting us.  Can they transport our entire van, discreetly, and to any location along the southern edge of their territory?  For reasons of secrecy, the precise location wouldn't be stated until the time of transport; it would be terrible for our enemies to learn of our plans, and set up an ambush just after we get out of TFL's territory.

What would be the cost?
You stride to the bridge in question, and walk into the nearest underground station marked TFL. After knocking on a door marked "no admittance", you tell a confused member of the station staff that you'd like to talk to a representative of the less publicised end of the business. After some confusion, a suited woman approaches you, dressed conventionally aside from a tie rippling with complex patterns featuring the TFL insignia, and explains that she is authorised to negotiate with people like you.

You explain your needs briefly and succinctly. The cost for getting a van full of important people and objects (this woman is pretty copped on) across such a central bit of territory, under threat, would either be five thousand pounds, the equivalent in assorted "artifacts", or the recapture of what she refers to as an "escaped vehicle". Everyone here is a little crazy, but who cares, there's money to be made. She also assures you that TFL is more than capable of protecting anyone on their territory, no matter what is pursuing them.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 19, 2018, 01:21:52 pm »

Okay then. I don't really have any projects, so just wander and see the sights for a bit.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 19, 2018, 04:18:50 pm »

Inquire about this someone that can teach me the basics. I would like to start doing necromancy, all I can do right now comes only from wands.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 19, 2018, 05:50:04 pm »

Speculate on ways to make money with those winged horses.  If nothing else, could probably charge people for seeing them.  I'm sure they sell well, but there's a difference between frolicking near me and willing to be harnessed.

..anyway, on to the heist.

"Okay, Don, I think I'm going to pull the classic scam of passing off cheap gold as real gold.  Here's how it's going to work:

We find a couple of jewellery stores, preferably not too close to each other, and then go into one of them posing as a couple that doesn't have much money.  We then discuss buying some lower-end jewellery, stuff that we could replace with better things when we have the money, and get the shopkeeper to demonstrate the difference between the two when tested.  We then buy some cheap pieces.

We then split up and head to the other store, and I go in to sell the jewellery, using an illusion to pass it off as much more valuable stuff.  When I've got the sale wrapped up, you would then enter the store which would make the proprietor put the goods out of sight or back in a case or something, and we can then meet up later.

"Sound good?"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:10:48 am by Devastator »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 20, 2018, 05:55:21 am »

"That does sound pretty good. You'll have to cheapen up my suit though. I'm in, under one condition- we need to check with the boss on this first. Given what I've seen, half the stores in town may be occult."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 20, 2018, 06:26:51 am »

"Yeah, that's part of why I wanted you around, another set of eyes and some more cover in case there's magic stuff around."

"That said, we're not looking to make a lot of money, maybe 700 to 1000 pounds, so things shouldn't get too hot.  If it's too much to get through this, I've got another idea we can try next."

"We're going to be wearing disguises throughout.  Just remember, they won't last if I get too far from you, so don't stick around too long at the end.  I'll send you a text when it's clear to leave."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:30:30 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN returns!
« Reply #1227 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »

Ben scratches his chin as he considers his options.  Hocking artifacts is out; while these people might be willing to take some random weirdly-shaped sticks he picked up off the ground, that might also piss them off.  You can never tell with these crazies.  Money's also out, since he doesn't get paid, and lives with a bunch of insane homeless people--and Nanami who, as a man, he can't accept money from.  That leaves the vehicle.

"Tell me more about this vehicle.  What is it, who has it, where are they, can I kill them, can I kill the vehicle?"

Questions about the quest.  If they're all answered, and it doesn't seem like there's more that the rep wants to say, Ben will agree and leave to inform his allies of the probably-deadly mission he signed them up for without their consent.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 20, 2018, 11:09:50 pm »

"Okay, I'm in. We don't go if the boss says no, though."

Go with Namani's plan, but check with the boss first.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives
« Reply #1229 on: August 27, 2018, 04:17:36 am »

Okay then. I don't really have any projects, so just wander and see the sights for a bit.
You walk away from the Transworld entertainment venue and across the bridge, into the southern side of London where Coven associates rarely go.

A little way out you pass an outdoor market, several magical beings sitting about and enjoying the cool autumn air. A band of cyclopes sit around a huge campfire, their heads still level with second-storey windows, barbecuing a goat the size of an elephant. An still larger centaur relaxes a little way off, her legs tucked under her and a sword apparently carved from the body of a truck resting by her side, sipping from a beer keg and looking out over the rooftops. In the park nearby a group of samurai in resplendent armour demonstrate tai chi, while a crowd of undead attempt to follow their movements. You notice a bunch of mortals who've joined in, mistaking it for some kind of public fitness program.

You wander into a courtyard where a dark, skinny young man is furtively running his hands over a brick wall, the material shivering and warping beneath his fingers. He looks round as you approach, and scurries off.

Finally, you come to an industrial wasteland, plastic bags rolling across the dirt plain, half-fallen fences separating boundaries no longer heeded, a few construction vehicles with cobwebs choking the cabins standing outside partially demolished factories. All at once the sepia calm is broken by a mighty screech, and a patch of ground erupts, concrete and earth flying through the skies. A roaring subway train leaps from the earth, screaming out a cry of battle or joy, wheels scrabbling at empty air. The great worm travels in a might arc, plunging back into the underworld in a fountain of debris, TFL's potent mark flashing on it's carriages. A gem glints in the glare of the front lights, sending strange scatterings of refracted light across the plane.

Looks like you found something.

"Okay, I'm in. We don't go if the boss says no, though."

Go with Namani's plan, but check with the boss first.
Vince commends you on your ingenuity, and tells you it's the first time someone in the Coven's found a solution to a problem without asking him or blowing something up.

And yes, he's completely ok with you robbing jewellery stores or whatever.

Speculate on ways to make money with those winged horses.  If nothing else, could probably charge people for seeing them.  I'm sure they sell well, but there's a difference between frolicking near me and willing to be harnessed.

..anyway, on to the heist.

"Okay, Don, I think I'm going to pull the classic scam of passing off cheap gold as real gold.  Here's how it's going to work:

We find a couple of jewellery stores, preferably not too close to each other, and then go into one of them posing as a couple that doesn't have much money.  We then discuss buying some lower-end jewellery, stuff that we could replace with better things when we have the money, and get the shopkeeper to demonstrate the difference between the two when tested.  We then buy some cheap pieces.

We then split up and head to the other store, and I go in to sell the jewellery, using an illusion to pass it off as much more valuable stuff.  When I've got the sale wrapped up, you would then enter the store which would make the proprietor put the goods out of sight or back in a case or something, and we can then meet up later.

"Sound good?"
You could always just film the winged horses and put it in a youtube video. Get a lot of views from seven year olds, cryptozoologists, MLP fetishists, that sort of thing. Or just kill them and sell the meat, feathers, etc. Selling them as mounts might get you something, but catching wild horses that can fly isn't going to be easy. Neither is training them.

Prac: 1+3, 4+1

You manage to charm the owner of a small but reasonably upmarket jewellery store into showing you how to properly identify cheap and expensive goods. Don proves as adept at deception as Nanami, despite the thick bony casing over his back hastily concealed by an illusory coat.

Nanami then passes off some extremely cheap pieces as expensive ones in several uptown jewelleries, masquerading as a down-on-her-luck countess.

Prac: 3+3

She manages to keep the illusions working even when the pieces are taken into a back room and tested there, her impressive personality and aura of wealth covering for any minor irregularities. She gets on a lot of CCTV, but that won't be a problem due to illusory disguises.

The two of you make a £6,200 profit, using Don's money. Which Nanami is currently holding onto, by the way. Hey, stealing from mortals is easy!

Inquire about this someone that can teach me the basics. I would like to start doing necromancy, all I can do right now comes only from wands.
The knights send you to a primary school PE teacher a little way out of the city centre, who takes you through the elementary ideas on her lunch break using the corpses of crushed spiders. A friendly enthusiast, you gather.

She shows you how to raise a zombie or skeleton using only a point of puissance, that will stay together and do the one simple task you told it to do until knocked apart. You could do this repeatedly, and get potentially massive hordes going, though they might be hard to control once you've told them to do something. Blind obedience, all that.

You also learn how to create much hardier undead using puissant clots or power sources (occult or otherwise, a car battery would work), undead beings nearly as hard to kill as you. These are capable of independent thought, and can be augmented through attaching new body parts, machines, occult objects, etc. A whole tier up from your average stumbling undead.

Ben scratches his chin as he considers his options.  Hocking artifacts is out; while these people might be willing to take some random weirdly-shaped sticks he picked up off the ground, that might also piss them off.  You can never tell with these crazies.  Money's also out, since he doesn't get paid, and lives with a bunch of insane homeless people--and Nanami who, as a man, he can't accept money from.  That leaves the vehicle.

"Tell me more about this vehicle.  What is it, who has it, where are they, can I kill them, can I kill the vehicle?"

Questions about the quest.  If they're all answered, and it doesn't seem like there's more that the rep wants to say, Ben will agree and leave to inform his allies of the probably-deadly mission he signed them up for without their consent.
"It's a train. Capable of moving on rails, or simply tunneling through the ground."

"The computers controlling it have gone haywire. Maybe there's sabotage involved, maybe someone's driving it, we don't know. You can kill anyone you like, outside our organisation."

"Don't damage too much other than the brainpart. The computers in the front. Those you can blow up if you want to. A few scrapes on the rest are ok, but destroying it isn't an acceptable option."

You go tell Vince, who puts the word out somehow, or claims to. Guy's just whispering in a shell, as far as you can see.

Vince's voice comes through the ear of everyone not Ben. He talks about a task you need for safe passage, given by the mighty Transport For London mage group, involving retrieving the body of an escaped underground train. One that Jane happens to have stumbled across, in fact.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 86