Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 145616 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Rivals
« Reply #945 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:13 am »

"I can try hiding it on a bush, I don't think there are any dumpsters nearby."
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 10, 2017, 08:53:19 am »

Sorry, won't be able to update this for this week perhaps. Intense time w/ studies coming up. Very exciting but little opportunity for prologed typing.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 10, 2017, 09:00:53 am »

Well, time for me to bump ER for orders, too..

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 11, 2017, 03:05:54 pm »

Did I not already look for orifices? I'm pretty sure I did and didn't find anything, or I put it in an action and you didn't say anything so I assumed there was nothing.
Steal a bunch of chocolate and see if it likes sweets by putting it in front of the thing. Maybe I can poison it like a dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

The ideal would be to get a few big sacks of raw cocoa and mix it with something it likes. If sugar doesn't work, try meat. Then some tied up live animal, though I doubt that works because humans can be around it just fine. If none of that works it probably eats some form of magic energy, in which case fuck.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:15:50 pm by Egan_BW »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »

Are my chaos insects still recharging?

If not, sic them on the golem.

Regardless of whether or not my chaos insects are charging, cast Heal Burns on myself (and on Sen, if he's burned too).

Order the golem to "cease all operations" in a commanding voice (I used to be an aristocrat, maybe this golem will respond to my authoritative voice on some instinctual level?).

If I have not significantly harmed or affected the golem after performing those actions, get the heck out of dodge.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 12, 2017, 10:48:47 am »

((Rewaitlisting with a different character.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 18, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »

Well, sorry that took so long. My computer broke down, though I managed to get a new one quite fast, luckily enough. Good being able to... know when people contact you, work, all that.

Did I not already look for orifices? I'm pretty sure I did and didn't find anything, or I put it in an action and you didn't say anything so I assumed there was nothing.
Steal a bunch of chocolate and see if it likes sweets by putting it in front of the thing. Maybe I can poison it like a dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

The ideal would be to get a few big sacks of raw cocoa and mix it with something it likes. If sugar doesn't work, try meat. Then some tied up live animal, though I doubt that works because humans can be around it just fine. If none of that works it probably eats some form of magic energy, in which case fuck.
You have seen a couple of things that might well be mouths, but they're closed at present.

Your attempts to get it to open wide fail miserably. It does seem unlikely that a being like this would feed on sweets or filet mignon, magical energy is a lot more likely. Pretty hard to actually get hold of a meal-sized chunk of starlight or whatever... does that mean you won't be able to make the thing open its mouth?

Are my chaos insects still recharging?

If not, sic them on the golem.

Regardless of whether or not my chaos insects are charging, cast Heal Burns on myself (and on Sen, if he's burned too).

Order the golem to "cease all operations" in a commanding voice (I used to be an aristocrat, maybe this golem will respond to my authoritative voice on some instinctual level?).

If I have not significantly harmed or affected the golem after performing those actions, get the heck out of dodge.

You call upon the chaos swarm, and your inner flame flares as a buzzing and crackling mass of red-hot dots pour into existence, the air around them distorting with the incredible heat.

4+3 vs 3+2

The golem blunders towards you, running straight into the burning cloud of furious insects. He stumbles on for a few steps swatting great handfuls of the creatures from the sky, and then they are upon him. Stingers filled with molten steel plunge through crumbling limestone flesh, the massive stone figure engulfed in pink flame and incandescent chitin. Your assailant bellows with pain, ignoring you in his attempts to rid himself of the biting, scorching insects. The stone features crack and melt as the man-shaped thing staggers away desperately, smashing through a wall as tiny flies and wasps swarm about him. Lost in the traffic outside, the sounds of agonized screaming and maddened stone flailing recede slowly. The tough might survive, but he sure as hell won't come back for round two.

You stroll away, feeling pretty chuffed about your own abilities, while the fire spreads through the market behind you. Sen rejoins you outside for healing, looking rather shamefaced about his actions. Funny how fast people forget they've been made into a slave.

((Rewaitlisting with a different character.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're in now, I have time enough. You can have the Suspicious Tome, though it may be something of a crapshoot.

You wander into Vince's with six runes already scrawled across your brain. God knows where you picked some of them up, you certainly don't.

Phlegmatic: you have no memory of the last decade, and are dealing with it remarkably well. Increased resistance to mental assault; a passive rune coiled around the inside of your skull.
Arcane Researcher: you're less likely to accidentally kill yourself, summon a great one, or set the room on fire when reading arcane texts. Applies especially to Suspicious Tome.
Amnesia: when written, causes mentally weak beings (non-magicals, for example) to forget their recent experiences. A rune inked over the innermost folds of your cereberum.
Usquebaugh: a rune that gives water healing properties and magical strength. In great doses, such draughts may damage one's soundness of mind.
Potential: a rune that draws out the power latent in objects, often damaging them in the process. Tattooing it on oneself would lead to a shorter life but greater charisma and power.
Cardoon: a rune that enhances the growth of plants, especially weeds.

For any more, you'll have to wander around London looking at magical stuff.

You also get the usual $50 from Vince, and two puissant clots (upgrade materials for weapons).

The Confrontation
Take the rifle and a knife, but ask what they'll give me for the rifle if I return it in good shape.  Half?  More?

bird size =0

Half. You take the goods and go back to the canalside, where you meet Ben being all stealthy-like. And you haven't got a bird yet.

Don texts Vince that he's heading to the canal.

Wrap hand in jacket, steal the guy's wallet, keys, and any weapons. Drive to one block from the canal, park a block away in a secluded location, walk to join the others. Keep an eye out for enemies on the way over.
You get a good £100, the guy's wallet and keys, and take the car. Bit of blood on your jacket, but oh well. You drive over to meet Ben and Nanami.

"Hey, hey, don't throw him in the river!  Bodies float, drag him to a dumpster.  We might want that weird backpack thing, too."

Take the machine gun out, but keep to the shadows.  Just stay back and watch for enemies who spot us.  Shoot them if they raise an alarm or attack.
Try stabbing the corpse with my phylactery, then search it and dump it on the lake. Search the area for more enemies while trying to avoid detection.
"They don't even know we are here. If we are lucky, we might be able to kill them all without a fight."

Doing this XCom style, eh?

Zamenis advances to the body, crouching, and thrusts his weapon through the leather armour. His puissance refills as blood soaks into the dragon's tooth, while his vision sharpens momentarily as he looks round the corner.

Steve, Ben and their allies are on a road parallel to the canal. Zamenis and the body are further along this road, on a streetcorner. Turning right, Zamenis can see another road leading to the canal, albeit through the rubble of a hastily demolished wall. The corner Zamenis is on is the corner of a housing estate.

Half in and half out of the canal lies a large object shining brilliantly, giving off waves of heat and magical energy. Zamenis instantly gains a puissant clot, just from being around the thing.

Near the glowing object are four leather-clad figures, identical to the one now bleeding out on the ground. They seem to be pulling at the shining object with chains of some sort. A person in scuffed yellow leather rags and goggles eggs them on, his tapering hood and overstuffed pockets swaying as he gesticulates. A little closer to the coven's lich stand three twelve-foot man-shapes, assembled from trash and citystuff, eyes blinking traffic lights, shopping trolley jaws above mighty garbage-bag pectorals.

Closest of all is a dark mass of bodies, mage-fucked machinery and lab equipment atop a flatbed truck. To one as necromantically attuned as Zamenis, it resonates with undead energy, seemingly as powerful as the glowing shape down the road, although its arcane might is more contained, concentrated ominously in one human-sized stone coffin deep within the tangle of wires, alchemical vials and skeletons. It's like there's something in really deep sleep in there, something you really don't want to wake up.

Stealth: 4+2

You drag the leather-covered corpse out of sight around the corner, and rummage through the pockets of the blue boiler suit inside. You come up with £20, a set of car keys, a length of shimmering, crystalline rope, and a plastic bottle filled with swirling purple liquid that's probably magical.

Well, looks like you found something. And it hasn't found you, yet.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 18, 2017, 12:31:48 pm »

Hmm.  Can I have some more information on how Cardoon works, please?  How controllable is it?

Also, yes, wander a market or something and look at magical stuff.

Also also there's actually no section in the OP on how runes work...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:42:57 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:47 pm »

Drop the extra gear off so as to not burden me, (backpack, diving gear, etc), and give the underwater rifle to Ben, if he wants it.  Keep the knife, pistol, and wand if Ben takes the gun.  Keep the assault rifle if Ben doesn't.  Sneak up following Zamenis, using the tarp and my illusions as improvised camo gear, draping it over myself.  If I get far enough, examine the flatbed truck and try to see if it's secured or attached to anything in this location, including magical connections.

..alternatively, stay back and use my illusions to provide a fake camo tarp for Ben, in case he wants to sneak up and set a machine gun ambush.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:27:58 pm by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2017, 01:53:46 pm »

I still have the corpse hidden in a bush, right?
1) Take the dead guy's stuff then start to butcher it with my special knife.
2) Amputate the forearm. Remove all the meaty stuff in the forearm until the wrist, keeping the hand intact. Make that a wand with the forearm bones as the handle and lenght of the wand, and the hand in the end from where I fire the spells.
3) Once done making the hand wand, inform the rest of the team about the group of leather guys, the trash golems, the undead abomination in the truck and the man of yellow rags.
4) Organize and prepare the team to attack from stealth at the same time. Once we are ready, carefully aim my invisible flesh-removing beam and fire multiple times to kill the man in yellow rags. Continued in next post.

"There is a group of trash creatures, an undead abomination and a group of humans. I'll try to kill the one in yellow rags. Let's focus on the humans first."
((I have a 2 in Aim. If you have any spare guns, I would like to have something more reliable than my wand. It can only harm organics and we are probably going to fight these trash monsters.))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:11:45 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 18, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »

Hmm.  Can I have some more information on how Cardoon works, please?  How controllable is it?

((Passive runes are always on, active runes you have to draw, like with chalk or spray paint.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 18, 2017, 05:42:44 pm »

"Fuuuuuuuuuuck this."

Go alight on a tall building's roof with an overview of the people dragging the fallen star out of the lake. When the others engage dive down as fast as possible and kill all five squishy humans with the Slaughter machete in one attack run, then fay away at top speed. Keep the gunwand in my offhand and parry any magical projectiles.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 18, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »

Don Joe glides into the hidden position with Ben and friends and starts speaking softly. "Hello there. Don Joe at your service. How do you want to play this? I can summon some giraffes and a swordsman to take out one guy. Probably best in ambush, that."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 18, 2017, 10:43:04 pm »

((Passive runes are always on, active runes you have to draw, like with chalk or spray paint.))
((That's not really answering the question of how they work.))
Sigtext

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 18, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »

(Magic.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:17:46 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 86