Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My lord is a great beast.  (Read 1927 times)

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My lord is a great beast.
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:31:47 am »

Just started a new adventurer. Spawned in a keep. The only people there are two soldiers, my lord, Vabok Lashedsizzled, who happens to be a dwarf, and myself.
I asked my Lord a few questions. Nothing to bad, great beasts, bandits, an elven army attacking the city I'm in... Normal stuff.
Then I press z to see my descriptions as I didn't check it during character creation. In the stats screen I see something odd.
All needs have the "undistracted" next to them, expect two, which have "unfettered".
One of them is "socialize", which makes sense considering I just spoke to my lord. The other one is "see great beasts".
I'm in a small, enclosed space with only four people present. I'm pretty sure I saw no great beasts. My guess is that since my lord is a dwarf the game counted him as a great beast.
Does anyone know why this is so? Is this a known bug? I'd like to hear other people's opinion on that.

EDIT: Just found out one of the soldiers from the keep has no name. Maybe she is the great beast?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:36:22 am by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My lord is a great beast.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:52:32 am »

It could also be that a great beast had passed through your town before you started playing and your character saw it before you even started playing him? (Does it work like that?)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 01:23:57 pm »

I think it's just talking to histfigs.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:52:29 pm »

I think homie is right; after all, your character is inserted into history the moment you create him, so if a great beast passed through town, your needs will have been fulfilled. Check legends mode.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
----------------------------------
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:57:48 am »

Has nothing to do with the see great beast, and it has to be updated periodically. It's literally talking to a historical figure. If it had to do with worldgen stuff it would start out fulfilled and remain that way.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:59 am »

Has nothing to do with the see great beast, and it has to be updated periodically. It's literally talking to a historical figure. If it had to do with worldgen stuff it would start out fulfilled and remain that way.
Can't seem to find it on the bug tracker. Is it up there somewhere?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:47:11 am »

Never thought to list it, but seeing any histfig, talking to someone you've "known all your life", someone with family and such, they all trip the "saw great beast" flag.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:11:12 pm »

Never thought to list it, but seeing any histfig, talking to someone you've "known all your life", someone with family and such, they all trip the "saw great beast" flag.
At a stretch there's a chance that it's a dubious placeholder until DF can distinguish between beastly hist-figs and non-beastly ones. But 'every historical figure counts as a great beast' sounds more like unintended behavior (bug). Better off on the tracker than not. And surely better posted by someone who knows exactly what's happening?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »

I could swear I asked Toady about it and he said that yeah it was histfigs right now, and I think he said it was a placeholder behavior atm.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:55:25 pm »

I could swear I asked Toady about it and he said that yeah it was histfigs right now, and I think he said it was a placeholder behavior atm.
Ah, lost in the great information labyrinth of old fotf threads? Understandable.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:53:07 am »

Ahhh, I know what it was, I was sure I had asked him but hadn't because I was pretty sure I knew what was happening anyways and forgot I meant to ask the intent: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7325748#msg7325748