Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner's questions  (Read 599 times)

eternalStudent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Beginner's questions
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:22 pm »

I haven't played df since its 2012 version and I wish to go back to it now with few modifications.
Are any of this feasible?

1) Customizing the starting seven beyond their skills: looks, attributes, gender, age, whatever I can get

2) designing a special tile only for a specific dwarf

3) A world without vampires and werebeasts

Thanks

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:01:51 pm »

no,
no,
done at worldgen. When creating a world set werebeasts and vampires to 0

eternalStudent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:47 am »

no,
no,

Thanks for your answers, I have a follow-up regarding 2.
Can't I create a new profession and a tile for that profession and then assign the profession to a specific dwarf?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:30 pm »

no,
no,

Thanks for your answers, I have a follow-up regarding 2.
Can't I create a new profession and a tile for that profession and then assign the profession to a specific dwarf?
Not in vanilla. "Profession" doesn't really mean anything in DF besides "highest skill". People use nicknames to highlight specific dwarves usually.
Dwarf Therapist has all sorts of tools though. Sounds like something it could do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:04:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

eternalStudent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:58:41 am »

Not in vanilla. "Profession" doesn't really mean anything in DF besides "highest skill". People use nicknames to highlight specific dwarves usually.
Dwarf Therapist has all sorts of tools though. Sounds like something it could do.

Dwarf Therapist does have a way to assign some sort of "job description" to a dwarf, I've seen it on many LPs, the question is whether or not it can affect the choice of a graphic tile.

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:45:31 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:26:32 am by fucduck »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:34 am »

Profession nicknaming is in the same place as unit nicknaming in vanilla DF. Therapist only adds (through its own UI) a way to associate profession nicknames with labor sets.

eternalStudent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »

No it does not affect the graphic tile. It's like a Nickname. I believe that Profession Naming is part of Vanilla too? I don't remember.

If you want to create a special tile for special character, the best option is syndromes and custom races. Transform your character to a special custom race, and he will have its own special tile.

A custom caste within the dwarven race would not be enough? I fear that a new creature is a step too far, he won't be able to marry another dwarf for instance.

kingofthehour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:13:20 pm »

I am trying to make thieves tunnels as kobolds in masterwork but I don't know how to make candles can someone help?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 06:06:04 am »

No it does not affect the graphic tile. It's like a Nickname. I believe that Profession Naming is part of Vanilla too? I don't remember.

If you want to create a special tile for special character, the best option is syndromes and custom races. Transform your character to a special custom race, and he will have its own special tile.

A custom caste within the dwarven race would not be enough? I fear that a new creature is a step too far, he won't be able to marry another dwarf for instance.

No, no caste-level graphics.

Better ask in the Masterwork board.