Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact was lost?  (Read 3787 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Artifact was lost?
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:55:06 pm »

I'm trying to track down a necromancer slab, and looking through in the Legends Viewer it says "Biermourning the Lynching-wake of Stelas was lost in Tropicaldeluded. In The Interference of Murdering as part of The Stormy War." Does this mean it was destroyed, or they simply don't know where it is?
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact was lost?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:11 pm »

Mostly means it was destroyed by something.
To the beer!

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:19:22 am »

Yup, it was probably destroyed. But all is not lost - you can still find books and stuff that have the secrets of life and death written in them and read them to become a necromancer.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:04 am »

Doesn't necessarily mean it's been destroyed. I had a necromancer "lose" his slab in a dwarven fortress when a forgotten beast killed him. But I went to the site, and (after a looong time searching every room in the fortress) finally found the slab, just sitting on the floor.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:53:08 pm »

I hope it's still around, I would just go get another slab but this one was made by the god my character worships so I was going for it cause it was thematic  8)

Kinda sucks that Legends doesn't specify whether it was destroyed or just dropped but I guess I understand why
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Spellcaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:03 am »

when an artifact is destroyed, the legend specifically say so. but when it's only lost, it can be recovered.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 12:31:28 am »

When an artifact is lost in a location, it can sometimes be found, and other times not found..

Hillocks, Hamlets, and Forest Retreats lost artifacts, you just need to send someone their in Fortress Mode with high ambush stats (so they don't get caught and start a war), and they will eventually find it. It sadly does not spawn anywhere within the tiles of that location.

Towns can be finicky with artifacts. Some types of artifacts can be easily found within Sewers, Dungeons, Libraries, or Temples/Temple Dungeons. Meanwhile other items just don't spawn... in which you have to find them through Fortress mode.

Skulking Caves can sometimes steal artifacts and place them in their "treasury". Not sure on the chances of it not being there. I have only had 2 instances with artifacts being in those places and found them both there. Although 1 of those times the treasury room was disconnected from the rest of the caves....

Dwarven Fortresses are the easiest to find artifacts! They usually appear outside of the fortress in the upper left side of the fortress location lol. (I tried checking the upper left side with other locations to see if items spawned their but proved to be nothing)

Lair's will have them either lying around or in the main room.

Vaults have a small buggy chance of the final room not spawning (along with not spawning the slab)

Dark Pits and Dark Fortresses require Fortress Mode to find the item.

If the Artifact is lost in a biome... Good Luck. I have had a few cases where I have sent teams out to find them and never got them... except this 1 time where the biome that it was lost in was only 4 tiles.

Camps... usually in the middle with the rest of the loot.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:31:05 pm »

When an artifact is lost in a location, it can sometimes be found, and other times not found..

Hillocks, Hamlets, and Forest Retreats lost artifacts, you just need to send someone their in Fortress Mode with high ambush stats (so they don't get caught and start a war), and they will eventually find it. It sadly does not spawn anywhere within the tiles of that location.

Towns can be finicky with artifacts. Some types of artifacts can be easily found within Sewers, Dungeons, Libraries, or Temples/Temple Dungeons. Meanwhile other items just don't spawn... in which you have to find them through Fortress mode.

Skulking Caves can sometimes steal artifacts and place them in their "treasury". Not sure on the chances of it not being there. I have only had 2 instances with artifacts being in those places and found them both there. Although 1 of those times the treasury room was disconnected from the rest of the caves....

Dwarven Fortresses are the easiest to find artifacts! They usually appear outside of the fortress in the upper left side of the fortress location lol. (I tried checking the upper left side with other locations to see if items spawned their but proved to be nothing)

Lair's will have them either lying around or in the main room.

Vaults have a small buggy chance of the final room not spawning (along with not spawning the slab)

Dark Pits and Dark Fortresses require Fortress Mode to find the item.

If the Artifact is lost in a biome... Good Luck. I have had a few cases where I have sent teams out to find them and never got them... except this 1 time where the biome that it was lost in was only 4 tiles.

Camps... usually in the middle with the rest of the loot.

I'm pretty sure alot of what you are saying here is incorrect:
It makes no sense for toady to not spawn the artifacts in dark fortresses and such in adventure mode. I don't know why toady would do that, it could just be that they are really really hard to find.

Also in towns, they tend to spawn artifacts in the castle in the middle (which also has display pedestals where some of them are displayed), i have found a ton in the middle castles.

in hamlets it tends to be displayed in the mead hall (which also has display pedestals) and i have never not found the artifact im looking for there except in some cases it was just in one of the houses randomly. I have found plenty of artifacts in mead halls so i know you are wrong there.

Unless you are talking only about lost artifacts, in which case i am far less knowledgeable.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:38:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »

"When an artifact is lost in a location, it can sometimes be found, and other times not found.. "
Yeah... I spent days trying to figure things out for lost items, stored items are easy to find, but if they are lost, in most cases, the only way to find them is in Fortress Mode..

One of my hamlets had a artifact steel javelin lost in it. I checked all the people that lived their, none of them had it. Checked the civic room pedestals, nope. Then I used DFHack to reveal all land, and sadly spent hours checking all tiles of that hamlet, every layer to see any possibility... and nope, nada, nothing whats so ever. I found it in fortress mode very quickly and easily tho. Sent 1 person their to look for it and they found it within a few days, and at that moment Military Commander Sui-fong became 1 of my strongest members lol.

In some cases of some specific artifacts, it will have higher chances of spawning from what I have noticed....
Totems will have higher spawn chance in town's temples.. but don't pick it up or it creates the "stuck in invy" glitch..*sigh*, Slabs of any sort will spawn in Castle Dungeons or Temple Dungeons, or even Sewers. As for Dark Fortresses, items can be lost here, but the chances of them showing up in the throne room are very slim.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...