Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to install just DT?  (Read 7917 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to install just DT?
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:20:20 pm »

Hi, new player here.

I love every part of DF, and don't want to change it. I like the ASCII graphics, I like playing as just dwarfs, I like keyboard only controls.

There is one thing I want however.

I would like Dwarf Therapist, and just Dwarf Therapist installed. I don't wanna download a pack of mods and utilities I will never use (Low storage space on my laptop).

How do I do that?
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: How to install just DT?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:16 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

note that therapist hasnt been updated to the latest version yet, so you have to use version 0.40.24
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »

That can't be correct. DT is available in the latest LNP (0.43.03) for Windows, and there are layouts for the Windows 32 bit version of 0.43.05 at least. I don't know the status for other versions/OS'. I don't remember where I got the layout, but probably from inside the DT thread somewhere.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:48 pm »

I would like Dwarf Therapist, and just Dwarf Therapist installed. I don't wanna download a pack of mods and utilities I will never use (Low storage space on my laptop).

How do I do that?

First download DT 37.0.   https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist

Then you need a memory layout (that matches your version of DF).  Look for it at https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts - download (and move to correct folder...).

Alternatively if you are running Linux there is a 64bit/43.05 version which is working well, see the last couple of pages of the thread steel jackal linked above.  Otherwise you will need to stick to 32 bit versions.

And generally that thread is a better place for questions about Therapist.  But hopefully you are sorted?  ;D

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »

That can't be correct. DT is available in the latest LNP (0.43.03) for Windows, and there are layouts for the Windows 32 bit version of 0.43.05 at least. I don't know the status for other versions/OS'. I don't remember where I got the layout, but probably from inside the DT thread somewhere.

yeah completely forgot they had it working for 32 bit, i just take a quick look at the github every week or so to see if its been updated

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:06 pm »

It's seems to be a great way to put off newbies by declaring that DT is only for a really old version of DF while hiding the version which actually works just fine.

'Oh but newbies should use Bloater-packs' isn't really an argument. DF is really simple to use, edit and add utils too once you know how. It's just the forums which make it all seem so opaque.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:12 pm »

It's seems to be a great way to put off newbies by declaring that DT is only for a really old version of DF while hiding the version which actually works just fine.

hey i learned how to play DF the hard way, no utilities, no wiki, no forum, just blind guesswork and many forts that all died before autumn.

a great way to put of newbies is to tell them about the most extreme and volatile things that have ever happened in DF and act as if they are completely normal or have been changed to work differently. like for example saying how a single goblin tooth in the hallway will mortify all your dwarves who pass by it making them freeze in fear every time they see it and eventually when they have passed by it so many times they snap under the stress of seeing a lone tooth that they tantrum destroying your entire fortress. and dont even think about trying to get somebody to throw the tooth away because the poor garbage dwarves will snap every time they throw something into the refuse stockpile. and then the carp will jump out of the river and eat your fishers. and then an immortal sponge will destroy your military. and then your noble will mandate 100 slade crowns to be made and everyone will be hammered to death for not making them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:11 pm »

Yeah, that works too.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:57 am »

You might want to check Dwarf Manipulator tool from DFHack. It's very primitive compared to Dwarf Therapist, but it's keyboard-controlled and integrates nicely into the game UI. It also works everywhere DFHack works - I'm currently using it on 64-bit 43.05 on Linux without any issues.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:23 pm »

DFHack sounds useful, especially the labor management tool. How do I install that? Currently running the latest version of DF
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:07:21 pm »

You need to get DFHack version that matches your DF version (game version, 32/64 bit, OS). The link in the official DFHack thread points to 43.03-compatible version, but if you actually follow it and click "Releases", 43.05-beta1 downloads will be there. Installation instructions are pretty simple but vary a bit depending on your OS, so better read that yourself.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:39 pm »

One fair warning is that DFHack, by default, enables a whole bunch of stuff which may change the game in confusing ways, including over 50 custom keybindings and a dozen and a half "interface improvement tools".

If all you want is Manipulator, create a file called "dfhack.init", open it in your favourite text editor, then insert the line "enable manipulator". If/when you want to try out additional stuff, you can look at the "dfhack.init-example" file to see all of the stuff that would be enabled by default.

The latest Beta release for version 0.43.05 (at the moment, anyways) can be found here. Unfortunately, it looks like nobody's bothered to upload a Windows build yet...

[edit] Made a build myself and uploaded it - hopefully it works correctly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:50:19 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:45:13 am »

DFHack sounds useful, especially the labor management tool. How do I install that? Currently running the latest version of DF

The easiest way is to just run it with LNP.

That ainīt hard to just turn of "extras" in LNP with the buttons, and to just use it to start DF in ASCII with DF-hack and Dwarf therapist.

Then itīs possible to make some simple modification like prevent the fort to grow to fps-death and other things in the same way.

another positiv thing is that you get some UI-extras, like a search function so you can search for the fisherdwarfs and place them in the military directly after they have arrived to your desert fortress..

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 03:56:33 am »

The easiest way to "install" it is to copy/paste it into the Df directory (clicking yes to overwrite one file). It doesn't need "installing" in the traditional sense. Setting options and stuff is probably easier with a pack though.
But, it's really not all that hard just to switch everything but Manipulator off though if the OP still wants to work with a 'clean' DF install.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »

Yep. If you've downloaded LNP, you could also launch DT directly from the file/shortcut to file, without using the LNP launcher for just it. 
Pages: [1] 2