Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does currency work?  (Read 3884 times)

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does currency work?
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:22:27 pm »

Okay so there are some buildings that cost gold coins to build, others can be built normally but you need gold coins to use them.
How does this work? I understand that you can mint gold coins from gold bars, but what about copper and silver coins? You can mint them both, but is there an exchange rate? How many silver coins is one gold coin? Or is there no exchange at all and they are both useless? Also is silver and copper the only two metals you can mint coin from? Is there a way to tell how much gold coins i have? The stocks screen just shows "Coins" and i have about 20k but i cannot build any of the buildings that cost gold coins.

I'm so confused...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:24:03 pm by atazs »

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
Re: How does currency work?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »

Are you playing as Dwarves or Humans?

In either case, if I recall ONLY gold coins are used in reactions. There is not really a use for other coin types in masterwork or in vanilla. As for exchange rate, there is none that I recall. All 'trade' for humans was ever done in Gold coins, and gold coins alone.

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:25:23 pm »

Are you playing as Dwarves or Humans?

In either case, if I recall ONLY gold coins are used in reactions. There is not really a use for other coin types in masterwork or in vanilla. As for exchange rate, there is none that I recall. All 'trade' for humans was ever done in Gold coins, and gold coins alone.

I'm playing as dwarves.
And there is guildhall and garrison, both of them use gold coins?

Also i built the Liason's office which apparently can be used to call Migrants, again for gold coins.

Anyway so there is no exchange rate for coins then? Good to know i guess.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:33:04 pm »

Also it doesn't actually matter how many individual coins you put in the reaction because nothing in the game knows how to handle coin stacking, so you can mint a set of 500 coins, then dump it onto raising bridge and fling it everywhere, and get dozens of "gold coin [2]"s that are treated exactly the same as a gold coin [500].

Just to be clear, that's an exploit.

Also dwarves in the old version have an exchange rate of 4 copper = 2 silver = 1 gold- again based on coin stacks rather than actual value.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »

Also it doesn't actually matter how many individual coins you put in the reaction because nothing in the game knows how to handle coin stacking, so you can mint a set of 500 coins, then dump it onto raising bridge and fling it everywhere, and get dozens of "gold coin [2]"s that are treated exactly the same as a gold coin [500].

Also dwarves in the old version have an exchange rate of 4 copper = 2 silver = 1 gold- again based on coin stacks rather than actual value.
I investigated this with the current version of DF (and Masterwork). Build a raising bridge, dump a stack of coins on it, raise the bridge. Coins were flung forward and to one side, but stack did not separate. I then repeated with a retracting bridge: Coins stayed in place and remained stacked.

Anyone else wanna test this? We might be looking at a change in game mechanics between older and the current DF?

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:19 am »

I investigated this with the current version of DF (and Masterwork). Build a raising bridge, dump a stack of coins on it, raise the bridge. Coins were flung forward and to one side, but stack did not separate. I then repeated with a retracting bridge: Coins stayed in place and remained stacked.

Anyone else wanna test this? We might be looking at a change in game mechanics between older and the current DF?

If nothing else, there's always locking a stressed-out guy in the bank and waiting until he starts throwing coins around. That has the risk of possibly starting a fight when you let him out though.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »

the game splits stacks as it needs to make purchases. yes bridges no longer fling coins around the room like it did under older DF versions...

the orcs have some small purchases that pick up part of a stack... the left over stack will get moved around from reaction to reaction as it tries to find a use for it.  A stack of 1 coin wont count as a stack of 500 coins
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal