Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steel slashing attacks are failing to penetrate iron armour  (Read 3556 times)

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel slashing attacks are failing to penetrate iron armour
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:20 pm »

Hello people of bay12, I have been playing around with some things in the arena recently, and I've noticed something that could be a bit of a game changer. A no quality steel short sword will not penetrate a no quality iron set, unless it hits the hands, feet, lower arms or lower legs. Stabbing can penetrate, and deal normal damage to organs and muscle.

Has anyone else had this happen, or am I just experiencing weirdness?

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel slashing attacks are failing to penetrate iron armour
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »

I believe slashing damage is very ineffective against armor and is intended to be. Piercing is decent against armor, but bludgeoning is by far the most effective against armor. Slashing is best against unarmored opponents.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware of how that works. Still, I find it a little strange that the iron isn't taking ANY damage from being hit by the steel sword. Still, I guess that's fact that slashing is so ineffective does mean things are working properly.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:24 pm »

If you want to cut through Iron with slashing, you'll need exceptional+ steel, candy, or divine metal.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:24:31 pm »

If you want to cut through Iron with slashing, you'll need exceptional+ steel, candy, or divine metal.
Could the same thing happen with Iron on Iron? It has the same max edge as steel.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

Could the same thing happen with Iron on Iron? It has the same max edge as steel.

Same, max edge, but overall worse stats. Iron will simply bounce off iron when it comes to slashy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:56 pm »

Thank you for answering my questions, and for showing me a little more about how the game works.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:26:41 pm »

This is also in some regards the fault of the short swords.  They are capable of both slashing and piercing attacks (via thrusts with the tip) but are less effective at the later than spears and less effective at the former than battle axes.  Their advantage is in their versatility, as spears are incapable of effective slashing attacks while battle axes are incapable of effective piecing attacks.  It makes short swords good for when you are unsure what you are most likely to go up against. 

All that having been said, a slashing or piercing attack that does not penetrate armor will turn some of its impact into bludgeoning damage.  In this role, larger and heavier weapons will, in general, do more damage than smaller, lighter weapons.  Hence, a battle ax that fails to penetrate armor will impart more impact damage than a short sword that fails to penetrate armor due to being heavier overall, even if both are the same material and cut just as well. 

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:07:13 am »

Slashing/hacking attacks, even from masterwork steel weapons, glance off/get deflected or partially blocked even by items of clothing in this version. It is really frustrating when squad of axedwarves takes so long to kill an elf wearing tons of ramie clothes that it dies of suffocation, NOT bleeding. That is less of a case with experienced soldiers, as they usually manage to crush the head or decapitate.

I really wish it was only my individual case, but I've played tons of adv. and fort mode games in 43.05 to be absolutely sure about it.  The only solution is to use adam. axes/swords or resort to blunt/piercing attacks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:46:56 am »

Slashing/hacking attacks, even from masterwork steel weapons, glance off/get deflected or partially blocked even by items of clothing in this version. It is really frustrating when squad of axedwarves takes so long to kill an elf wearing tons of ramie clothes that it dies of suffocation, NOT bleeding. That is less of a case with experienced soldiers, as they usually manage to crush the head or decapitate.

I really wish it was only my individual case, but I've played tons of adv. and fort mode games in 43.05 to be absolutely sure about it.  The only solution is to use adam. axes/swords or resort to blunt/piercing attacks.
I would've thought the new damage mechanics would cause the clothing to be shredded to pieces very quickly. I've seen adv mode screenshots of XXclothingXX during fights.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:58 am »

Now this is interesting. Steel slashing weapons have always been really OP vs anything wearing armor made of lesser metals. It was ridiculous the way a steel short sword would slice through bronze or iron full plate like butter. Looks like I am going to have to sit down with the newest version and do a little bit materials and combat science.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:44 pm »

I would've thought the new damage mechanics would cause the clothing to be shredded to pieces very quickly. I've seen adv mode screenshots of XXclothingXX during fights.
Steel swords can shred iron (iron breastplate, iron mail shirt, etc), though the examples I can quickly find are with stabbing attacks rather than slashes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:00 pm »

Ooh. A full page of 'fake news'. 'Steel slashes bounce off clothing, it takes hours to kill anyone' vs 'steel slashes shred clothing, iron and bronze'. This really needs some Science to figure out what's going on.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:39 am »

Both can be true simultaneously: From Iron to Steel: A survey of v0.43.05 combat [Long] *VERSION UPDATE*

Remember, a hour is about 2 seconds at 100 FPS.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 01:37:35 am »

Ooh. A full page of 'fake news'. 'Steel slashes bounce off clothing, it takes hours to kill anyone' vs 'steel slashes shred clothing, iron and bronze'. This really needs some Science to figure out what's going on.
The distinction is steel *slashes* seem to often get deflected by clothing (still get the force transfer though, and possible wear damage), whereas *stabs* seem to destroy copper & iron rapidly and do their expected organ damage.  Slashes still have fun with their dismemberment on lower arms/legs & hands/feet, seemingly even while armored, but the question is how well the slashes hit against armored upper arms/legs and body.
Pages: [1] 2