Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BirdLegend  (Read 3266 times)

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OOC: Answers to Comments
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:32:21 pm »

Nice :)  My advise is to pace yourself.  You can burn out super fast when trying to maintain this level of detail in a story.  That said, I'm enjoying myself thus far.
Personally, I can burn out pretty fast when playing Dwarf Fortress. Breaking up the game with patches of writing is intended, in part, as a strategy for staying engaged.
Spoiler: SerpentStare (click to show/hide)
Agh. Never do know how to deal with it...
However, I am glad you're enjoying the story, and I hope you continue to do so.

This will be hillarious. A suggestion-build fortifications on the wall otherwise anything will be able to climb over.
... How unusual. I wouldn't expect them to have that effect, but I'll give it a try.

Well, you have my attention
Glad to hear it. Would you like to offer more detail?

Do you accept dorfings?
Yes. Want in?

Nice writing.  Keep it up!

- Dame de la Licorne
Thanks. I have no intent to stop.

I - hm. This is far better than expected. Novel premise, active narration, uncertain future, hope, planning, and some unusual gameplay elements. Surprised at the lack of animal trainers.

I wonder how many remains you get if you stick in a cat with all those ducks?

We don't know who your neighbours were, either. Will this be a surprise, I wonder?

And of course, there's the omlettes.

You could melt down something to make an axe in a forge, yknow. Or maybe you don't. None of  the characters picked weaponsmithing, after all.

Welp. A mood failure is always embarassing, but if you had no starting materials little you could do - perhaps only take advantage of deity cursing them into a vampire for your own use if they topple a statue in berserk rage, and that's about it.
I'm glad it appeals to your refined taste in tragic literature.
You may note by checking the first post that as part of the conduct I am enforcing upon myself, there will be no form of metalworking practiced within the fortress.

True, it may seem a little odd not to have any animal trainers, but the ducks are already domestic, and there is no need to train them. As in a standard fortress, Animal Training will likely happen at some point or another, but is a tertiary industry that the fortress farm can do without indefinitely.

It so happens, however, that one of our newest migrants has some skill in it, so... Now we do have one!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:37:19 pm by SerpentStare »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: BirdLegend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 04:02:52 am »

If dorfings are accepted I would preferably like a miner named snow.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Winter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:12 am »

Chronicle of Development, first Winter
      early Obsidian

The early weeks of winter passed quietly as industry continued within Lanlargomath. Querns are installed and workshops expanded near the textiles quarter, and some of our citizens set to milling and threshing. Kivish Tourhead works the loom furiously and several dwarves are persuaded to dabble in sewing. Their handiwork is admirable.

The halls are scented with the waft of Eric's experimental roasts, including undertones of fresh-ground flour and the seeds of wild plants. The most... dramatic... achievement of the kitchens, however, is a massive batch of egg & garden roast the flavours and proportions of which I cannot adequately describe.

The stonework industries had already exhausted the stone mined from regular expansion, and have been moved to fresher territory in a great industrial hall so that stone need not be hauled as far. Citizens are encouraged to move stones to the masons' shops when they don't have anything more pressing to do.

Digging new tunnels has been driven primarily by the need for stone for some time now, and I spend a significant portion of my time plotting out excavation plans in my office and trying to match them with expansions that may actually be of some use down the road.

Quarters had been excavated in late summer and autumn, and the first few have recently been furnished. I have a new office behind my bedroom. It's nothing fancy, but it makes it more convenient for me to work. Alamancer Feri requested some bars of pig iron she brought along stacked in the corner of her room "for decoration". When questioned about it, she told me they had sentimental value and why should I care about her tastes when I'm so reticent to talk about mine? I let the matter go. I suppose it's not important, and Feri has always been a bit odd.

Labour and time were available enough to begin work on a complex of temples past the founders' quarters. The Clear Cathedral of Alod remains in its own humble and honoured place, but with immigration tripling our number, it is high time to make space for some of the other gods revered by our citizens. We have already set aside spaces for Uzol, Atesh, Berdan, Conngim, Shasad, Kastol and The Shield, and the temple quarter is only in the early stages yet.

I requested a number of statues from our skilled masons to decorate our temples, but when it came time to place them I noticed with some irritation that without exception, the statues depicted terrifying beasts. An ettin, a blind hag, and even a dragon who was fabled to exist somewhere within the Ashen Hill are depicted in grandiose and fearsome glory, but there is nothing here to celebrate the warm comforts of home and life on the farm.

I spoke with Rovod, who had made most of the great beast statues, and asked for some statues more relevant to Lanlargomath; its foundation, its basis, its people. Ideally, we might erect statues depicting the gods, but at least a statue which actually has a dwarf in it would be a start.

With that, I turned my attention back to labour and supply organization. It was time to invite Finch to my office. She has become a profound force with the copper pickaxe she brought with her, and can clear a passage as fast as many would walk it.

Thing is, we just don't need that much digging right now, and it would be well to train the newer miner a bit more. If we ever have a tremendous mining project that needs to be done, we will of course send for her. But in the mean time... Perhaps she'd like to take up engraving, to offer more of an artistic outlet? She set out quite happily to start squaring and smoothing the reverential crypt. I admire her spirit. In quite a literal sense, she has made this place what it is.

Winter seems to have passed so quickly... It feels a little strange.
Ah, the next half-dozen of statues have been finished, and it looks as though Rovod actually carved us a dwarf for once!

Hey. Is that me?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:12:31 am by SerpentStare »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 11:59:51 am »

Thanks for reminding me of the OP.

Well, I welcome the animal trainer.

- Now, for the new update...Seems you'll have lots of clothier moods.

- Heh, giant salads.

- You could build the pig iron bars as vertical or horizontal bars, s that Alamancer Feri could admire them. Can't admire them on the ground.

- Well, you could specify details for statues so that they'll make them of what you want. It seems whoever is making is making fun of you :P Bet your character absolutely detests flies.

This will be hillarious. A suggestion-build fortifications on the wall otherwise anything will be able to climb over.
... How unusual. I wouldn't expect them to have that effect, but I'll give it a try.
Dwarves certainly would be capable of climbing over it from my test with military burrow and pump.

However, I have checked with a cyclops that one can't climb over buildings - such as raising bridges or vertical bars.

I have not yet tested the fortifications for cyclops, but I can definitely say a wall on z-level above impassable building below is climbable (floor above  building is not, however, as you'd expect from an overhang).

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:19:50 pm »

Dwarves certainly would be capable of climbing over it from my test with military burrow and pump.

However, I have checked with a cyclops that one can't climb over buildings - such as raising bridges or vertical bars.

I have not yet tested the fortifications for cyclops, but I can definitely say a wall on z-level above impassable building below is climbable (floor above  building is not, however, as you'd expect from an overhang).
I learned that walls are climbable the hard way (build outdoor fort, get weretortoise, everyone is weretortoise).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:21:58 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 11:23:28 pm »

Heh. Speaking as someone who has only ever played in 42.06+ the DF2012 designs do throw me at times ("How's that supposed to defend, they'll just climb over - oh right, no climbing")

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 12:43:57 am »

PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

AshlynnEmbersong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 12:49:57 am »

I am 100% pleased with my Quack portrayal thus far.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:05 am »

SerpentStare if you get too tired with this try doing an after action report, it works for me at least. How you do it is play a year and than post a fun short or not short write up that doesn't have to have pictures.

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OOC: More Thread Interaction
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:44 am »

SerpentStare if you get too tired with this try doing an after action report, it works for me at least. How you do it is play a year and than post a fun short or not short write up that doesn't have to have pictures.
I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but please don't tell me what to do. I find that far more exhausting than playing or writing about Dwarf Fortress will ever be.
He absolutely detests unrequested advice.
I'm not kidding. I really do.

Suggestions for the fortress farm or requests for content/dorfs are fine, but I am not asking for advice on how to write or manage my writing.

On a lighter topic:

If dorfings are accepted I would preferably like a miner named snow.
You have been dorfed.
Spoiler: Snow (click to show/hide)

- Well, you could specify details for statues so that they'll make them of what you want. It seems whoever is making is making fun of you :P Bet your character absolutely detests flies.
I can? ... Holy crap, I can. Cool!
And yes, he does indeed detest flies.

Heh. Speaking as someone who has only ever played in 42.06+ the DF2012 designs do throw me at times ("How's that supposed to defend, they'll just climb over - oh right, no climbing")
Now I feel old. XD Yeah, this mechanic is pretty new to me. It makes sense though. Maybe you should have kept quiet about it and let me find out the hard way when goblins invaded through the duck pastures. Although I was planning on defending those entrances anyway. u.u
The best story twists so far are coming from my own ignorance, and I suspect this trend will continue.

PTW.
Welcome aboard.

I am 100% pleased with my Quack portrayal thus far.
Awesome. :D It's not quite the doctor you described, but then, I don't think soaking it would have helped the possession. We don't have holy water here.

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf Caravan
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:42 pm »

Of Elves and Shrieking
      9th of Slate

I was working on navigating the specific work order forms to requisition historical statues of the seven founders, when I was informed a small caravan approached the farm, with pack horses but no wagon. Odd. I hadn't been expecting one, but gave the order for the market to be stocked with many parcels of egg meals anyway.

The arriving traders were elves, carrying a variety of goods, although only as much as two horses could carry. I came to the market to meet these people who stood tall and thin like swaying reeds, with sharp points on their ears and teeth. I had never seen elves before. It is an uncanny experience; their friendliest smiles are uncomfortably eerie. However, they approached us in peace, and brought with them timber to carve, and wooden and cloth goods.

Elvish timber is bizarre to look upon and to hold. It seems to be frozen in the midst of flowing, like obsidian. Nevertheless, it seems solid and sturdy, and I am very pleased to have another chance to procure lumber even though we have no good axes. Not only will we have beds this summer, we will have wheelbarrows and bins, and our industry will be more efficient!

In addition to the raw timber, the elves brought weapons made of wood, fit for sparring, if not much else; shields, chests, splints and crutches; animal cages; some trinkets and instruments; a few lumps of clay; and clothing and armour, but those were useless due to their proportions, stretched out and thin for elf wearers.

They brought two ranged weapons called bows as well. They look like half of an oversized crossbow; big, simple tools controlled and aimed entirely by hand. At my request, one of the traders showed me how they are drawn, and how the bolt is balanced against the body of the bow, only the bolts are called arrows. They are longer and thinner, like the bows, and like everything about these people. They are a strange new weapon, not dwarf-like in construction or style, but I think our people can learn to use them.

I had a quiet conversation to one side with Eric, and at my urging, he traded generous portions of our meals for everything the elves had brought (except for the elf clothes and armour) and traded friendly words with the merchants, urging them to return, and bring more with them next time!

Even while generously offering more than the elves' goods were worth, we traded less than half of the duck egg meals we had prepared and ready for sale.

After overseeing things at the market, I wandered back toward my old office to contemplate my meeting with the elves, but stopped and entirely forgot my purpose when I spotted Ash working feverishly with a piece of timber at the crafting workshop in the bone and jewelry sector. I couldn't tell whether it was elf timber or one of the old lot that hadn't been used yet.
"Ash? What are you-"

"Shut up, I'm busy, no time for foolish talking," snapped the doctor, measuring a length of something with medical calipers. Startled, I almost jumped back, and left him alone. My contemplation had an entirely new subject of focus. Eventually, though, I managed to wrest myself out of my worries and get those order forms finished. I've never known Ash to work wood, but he's free to try something new. I know he's been sitting idle a lot, and perhaps he tires of it a little.

The season of new life brings us some. Cog Glacierglaze our mechanic has a sweet baby boy named Nil, and more ducklings have hatched. We have actually nearly doubled our duck population already. The ducklings number 39, and some of the first hatched are starting to lose their fluffy yellow fuzz for proper elegant brown feathers. It will still be some time before they are mature enough to lay eggs of their own, but as our population expands, I have been preparing and organizing the construction of a second pasture, laid out to prevent the ducks from fighting, and built around a natural pond.

The farm greets children, and also more travelers seeking a new home. This is the largest group that has come to us yet. I will have a lot of work cut out for me in finding roles for them all. On the upside, though, this will doubtless give us an opportunity to make greater use of our expanded hall of industry.
Spoiler: Citizen List (click to show/hide)

Oh, he's finished with his project. What in the world is a gabet?

... My god, it shrieks... Ash, you madman, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? The cry of this thing hurts my ears and carries through air and stone. It will ruin my temple of silence. How could you betray Alod like this, Ash? You were my first and most faithful brother in prayer!

He sees the shock on my face. He smiles at me, and hands me the instrument. How did he make it sing without goring his hands on the spikes? How did he conspire to make a working air bag out of wood!? This is a work of strange, dark madness... But Ash seems very calm. He takes the strange instrument in hand again, and does... something... to it. The box bleats. My ears ache. A small group of ducklings waddle closer to investigate the sound. The songs of this impossible contraption seem, somehow, to make them happy.

I walk away, holding my head. I have seen too many strange things already this season. Feri comes to Ash with a smile and kisses his cheek. I must have been too caught up in my work to notice they'd fallen in with one another in quite that way. But I suppose this explains... something. Somehow.

I may have to dig a tunnel far, far away from the rest of the complex of Lanlargomath to establish a new temple to Alod where her silence will be maintained.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 04:09:34 am »

How old is the fort now?

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of the Farm
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 09:14:26 am »

How old is the fort now?
Just over a year. It was founded on Slate 1, year 5. It is now early Slate, year 2.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 12:48:42 am »

That's quite a lot of food. 310 units of duck egg roasts....Enough to feed 60 for a year. Yet most of them are not that valuable...Well, I guess the cook will learn.

Oh yeah, you probably know this, but elven clothing is fine for dwarves to wear.

Hm, it occurs to me that you could get an axe perhaps by having a visitor join with one - or by having one made in a bonecarving mood. Both valid options.

Or maybe you already got a woodcutter in that migrant wave?

Well, fun mood nonetheless.

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »

That's quite a lot of food. 310 units of duck egg roasts....Enough to feed 60 for a year. Yet most of them are not that valuable...Well, I guess the cook will learn.

Oh yeah, you probably know this, but elven clothing is fine for dwarves to wear.
I did not actually know that. Huh. You know what it is? I think it's that I'm used to trading with human caravans too, and their clothes and armour are too big to use.
Well, it's not a problem. With our pig tail farms and the wild hemp growing in the area, we have the resources to make enough clothes for ourselves.

Also, hehe. Yeah. Hope the elves like their egg rations. And those are just the ones that meet the criteria for trading! Eric has made a lot of other food too, but if it's not named from a duck-sourced material, we won't sell it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3