Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your maps are so nice! May I have the recipe?  (Read 893 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your maps are so nice! May I have the recipe?
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:48 pm »

I apologize if this is something that
A) has been addressed elsewhere
B) is a guarded trade secret
or
C) creates a centipede's dilemma,
but I'm trying to get into programming and I'd love to know how exactly the randomly generated maps are built up.  I mean, I'm assuming it's a bit more complicated than Tile = random.choice([Land, Water].  I'm also assuming it's not in Python, but really, I'm only looking for broadstrokes advice.  Does the generator randomly choose a spot for the ocean and then have water tiles leading to it?  Or do the springs and streams come first?  How interconnected are all the elements?  Anyway, anything you care to share on the subject would be much appreciated. :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Your maps are so nice! May I have the recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:06 am »

If you want a response from Toady, your best bet is to ask here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.0

Put your question in lime green.

It probably takes into account the drainage, rainfall, and elevation maps (which you can see by exporting from legends mode.) These maps are generated via fractal terrain functions, which you can find tutorials for on the internet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:37:27 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »

Oh! Okay, thanks. :)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:23 pm »

There's a high-level overview of the world generator about halfway through this article:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3549/interview_the_making_of_dwarf_.php?print=1
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!