Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mandating the same thing over and over again  (Read 1776 times)

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
Mandating the same thing over and over again
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:38:28 am »

So my mayor keeps on mandating anvils, that's literally the only thing he's mandated. What gives?
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mandating the same thing over and over again
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:57:50 am »

He likes anvils. It's probably in his thoughts page somewhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »

As Shonai_Dweller said, mandate spewers mandate production of things they like, and if there's only a single thing they like that can be produced, that's what they'll mandate. Thus, when selecting nobles (mayor and baron/duke/count) a number of people look at prospective candidates preferences to find ones that don't have any mandatable ones (food/booze, art, colors, animals, etc. are safe from that perspective [for the time being: it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'd be able to mandate the acquisition of an elephant or giant sperm whale when trade is revamped]).
The other way to neutralize mandate spewers (apart from unfortunate accidents) it to ensure you don't enable the injustice system. The nobles get unhappy when their mandates are ignored, but random valuable dorfs won't be murdered because of it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »

Just keep making anvils for him. They're a relatively benign mandate, and you can just melt them down again after.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:09:17 pm »

Just keep making anvils for him. They're a relatively benign mandate, and you can just melt them down again after.
A more permanent solution is to melt down the mayor.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:16:53 am »

A more permanent solution is to melt down the mayor.

Nah, 'cause then the little bearded fools will just elect a new mayor, one who will mandate the production of slade xylophones or something.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:27:25 am »

I never seem to have anything awful mandated.  I always have some mayor or baron or something who just mandates building 2 floodgates or a large gem or forbids exporting swords or something (like I'd ever export those).  And then they just do that over and over most of the time.  It's pretty simple just to dump a task into the job manager queue, put it on top priority, and forget about it.

If I had one who did something insane like forbidding the export of spiked wooden balls that guy would take a magma bath, at least if I was still in the phase of turning useless wood into more than its weight in gold.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:17 am »

In 0.40.X I frequently ended up with mandate spewers who wanted "scepters" or some other kind of trade junk, and at that time you could only specify the production of "crafts" with dies rolled as to what kind of junk you'd end up with, so you could never know beforehand if a production order would fulfill the mandate or not. In addition to that, trinkets had no fortress use (now at least some of them serve need fulfillment purposes).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:01:09 am »

You always need more trinkets to sell to the caravans.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: The need to sell stuff is extremely small, and abundantly covered by the disposal of worn/inferior clothing via the caravan garbage disposal service.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 04:03:35 am »

Build an anvil-containing building in his quarters, so that he has a nice anvil to enjoy. A forge, or a display cabinet displaying a particularly nice anvil. It might calm him down, they seem to mandate less when they have lots of cool stuff in their rooms. But that could be my imagination.

Frankly, something meltable and easily made isn't so bad.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:56:07 am »

Longer answer: The need to sell stuff is extremely small, and abundantly covered by the disposal of worn/inferior clothing via the caravan garbage disposal service.
Then you need something to keep the haulers and crafters busy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:33:21 am »

Hauling junk for disposal takes most of each caravan month, and trying to produce masterworks furniture for everyone (with inferior stuff palmed off to the foreigners), plus booze production ensures there's a constant shortage of hauling power.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 07:52:11 am »

I suppose it depends what you mean by "need."  Some players seem to prefer to buy as near to nothing as they can, but personally, I usually like buying a lot.  First, there's items like food, rocks, metal that I don't have, etc. but those are usually cheap enough I can buy anything that comes in without much difficulty.

But then, there are items like musical instruments that I rarely want to bother twiddling around with.  They're a pain to make, to even know which ones I should build, etc., and they're quite often really expensive.  Making crafts is also just a good way of getting rid of stone lying around (albeit slowly) while also training up the dwarf to the point you get a stream of masterpieces.

You don't really need to do this, I suppose, but I like keeping skilled dwarves busy, which is why I usually keep making this stuff long after the actual necessity of making it has ended.  After a few moods you have all these Legendary skill dwarves and it just seems like a waste.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »

You need to buy quite a lot of stuff for the worn clothed not to cover the cost with a 100% profit on top of that.
Pages: [1] 2