Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 36308 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:06:32 pm »

So I got back into this game with the intention to finish it, and of course the second quest I take I run into a horrible bug (maybe?).

I have to rescue this guy's daughter and have tracked her down to this hideout. In the hideout there is a vertical drop with a chain above it that granted slowfall. I realized what i had to do so i go open the gate that was blocking the hole and go to activate the chain again. It makes a magic noise but does not cast the magic on me. I now have no way to get down. I reloaded my save and it still doesn't work. I waited a couple of days to see if it recharges, it doesn't. I try dropping down, it's just constant death.

Am I missing something, or am I just unable to complete the quest now? Is there a way to cheat in temporary invincibility or flight?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:17:21 pm »

It's not a bug I think, those chains are one use I think. Dungeons in daggerfall tend to be super large and interconnected though so there's more than likely another way down.

... Or you might not even need to go that way. That's another possibility.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:16 pm »

Nope the entrance is incredibly small and I have searched for all possible secret doors. Unless there is another dungeon entrance from the outside, I don't see how this is possible.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:24:00 pm »

All exterior doors lead to the same point inside the dungeon, there aren't really multiple entrances in Daggerfall.

How small is the tunnel downward? You might be able to jump or fall on to the opposite wall and activate climbing mode, although I've only ever managed to climb upward in Daggerfall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:05:28 pm »

although I've only ever managed to climb upward in Daggerfall.
If you jump while running forward, you should jump forward. Might be skill-dependent, but I don't know for sure.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 06:15:07 pm »

All exterior doors lead to the same point inside the dungeon, there aren't really multiple entrances in Daggerfall.

How small is the tunnel downward? You might be able to jump or fall on to the opposite wall and activate climbing mode, although I've only ever managed to climb upward in Daggerfall.

The tunnel is long and climbing does not save you. I tried.

although I've only ever managed to climb upward in Daggerfall.
If you jump while running forward, you should jump forward. Might be skill-dependent, but I don't know for sure.

You need to get some sleep :P

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:15:42 pm »

What kind of dungeon module is this though? Is this the large pit around the raised hole with the water in it? I think a properly built character can survive a fall from the top to the pyramid thing in that module.

If anything this just proves you should save often, and in multiple slots. Though if it wont fail the quest you could always just exit and re-enter the dungeon. But you'll really likely not have a way up if it's seriously the way you described it. (Odds are even if it looks like there's no alternate path there's a secret door that leads to the bottom. ... Eventually.)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »

Might also be a one-way teleporter somewhere around there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:25:16 pm »

If you don't have anything against cheating and have updated your game to the most recent patch, you can just use the [ and ] keys to teleport between the quest target spawn locations and the exit.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 08:45:02 pm »

Ok as it turns out, the thing regains it's charge if I X out of the game and turn it back on (indeed a bug). But now, when i activate the slowfall I just don't fall. I stay in the air moving in one direction until the spell wears off. Honestly, it's like they didn't even bother testing the things they put into the game.

If you don't have anything against cheating and have updated your game to the most recent patch, you can just use the [ and ] keys to teleport between the quest target spawn locations and the exit.
I don't have any problem using cheating to get past bugs, but the buttons don't work. I do have the latest patch.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »

I would suggest getting a means of levitation, either making a cheap spell from the mages guild or a magical item that gives it on use. Slow Fall does make you fall slowly but you keep forward momentum and are unable to control yourself while falling. Levitate is much easier since you can use page up/page down (or whatever you have up/down bound to) to fly up and down.

(Looking on the UESP, levitate magic items are called "Venom Spitting" unless you have installed Daggerfall with a third party patch.)

I think you may have to activate the debug teleport cheats in a config file in the Daggerfall directory.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 11:19:39 pm »

Slowfall does not make me go down AT ALL. I get stuck unmoving until it wears off.

I would get levitate but I have limited time and my character only has 22 magic points. I can't cast even the starter spells.

What are the consequences of failing a mission? Because I'm pretty much done trying.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 11:43:24 pm »

snowfall is the downfall

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:38 pm »

I wish Daggerfall had more procedural generation. I'd like to see completely randomized levels, but I suppose that's a bit too much to ask for a game older than many Elder Scrolls fans.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 11:54:53 pm »

What are the consequences of failing a mission? Because I'm pretty much done trying.

Lost reputation with the questgiver's faction, I think the entire region if the questgiver is a rando and not somebody from a Guild or other faction.

You'd have to ask somebody that got further in Daggerfall to tell you what lost reputation means. :P UESP says you only lose 2 rep for a failed quest, you start at 0 with most factions and it goes down to -100, so it's probably fine to fail a quest here and there as long as it's not a main story thing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14