Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 36356 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 12:15:10 am »

It's not that big of a deal to give up on a quest. The rewards are not that much anyway unless you're aiming for some of the guild rank specific rewards (magic item creator at mage guild, free inn beds from knight guild).

On the Daggerfall dungeons, there's a program called "Daggerfall Modelling" that allows you to view any of the dungeons in the game. You can see how they were randomly put together and how janky they are in places since there's a lot of completely unconnected corridors and rooms. It's interesting because the dungeons are actually a bit smaller than you'd think but the game includes these unconnected sections within the size indicator on the in game map.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:03:52 am »

Along Levitate i remember the 2 spells i used the most during my Daggerfall runs are Anchor and Recall , extremely helpful in some of the most bizarre dungeons and some of the most randomly convulated ones when you lost yourself in there.
Put an anchor at the dungeon entrance, and your next recall will send you there.

Failing a random quest can be a problem with the quest giver indeed and it can happen that he/she will refuse to talk to you anymore at some point, so you'll have to find another quest giver.

Now more important is failing one of the non-optional (and non random) main quests, you can effectively break your game progression as such quests don't come back, assuming you want to complete the main quest line to reach one of the endings of course.
The THAW utility found there
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files#Game_Utilities
Should allow you to restart a failed non optional main quest.

Never used it, as i usually always had a saved game (save the game at any opportunity before taking a quest is a very good idea in Daggerfall, not only because of possible failure, but because of crashes and other bugs)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 12:47:15 pm »

I'm starting to think I just have an overall bug with movement. I cannot back up or move sideways without holding down the sprint button, and I just found myself stuck unable to move in water until i switched to my cart. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »

I don't remember having noticed something like this, maybe there's some capslock/numlock toggle involved ?
Try to reconfigure your keys in the options in case something somehow went bad.

I use mouse view like in classic fps systems , as setup in the mouse section of the options :
http://i.imgur.com/FOFVaOQ.jpg

And here are my keys (though you probably want to use other ones, just showing you because i have no problem ingame with them in case it can help you to find the source of your annoyance)
http://i.imgur.com/0aFqN0I.jpg

I doubt it has any importance in the problem, but i have always used the view distance trick in my Daggerfall games to see much further in the game by a simple hex edit of the saved game :
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:SAVEGAME.DAT_description#Increasing_View_Distance

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »

I remember that problem. I believe the strafing issue is tied to the number of cycles Daggerfall is running by in Dosbox. Try increasing and decreasing the cycles using Ctrl+F12 (increase) and Ctrl+F11 (decrease).

The water movement may also be linked to the cycles but it could also be your character having low swimming skill. Using a spell or item that gives water walking will make moving through water much faster.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »

Swimming is agonizingly slow if you have no skill but you shouldn't be totally stopped. If you can't move at all it's probably a bug, at least a clipping problem if not something wrong with the entire game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:00 pm »

I remember that problem. I believe the strafing issue is tied to the number of cycles Daggerfall is running by in Dosbox. Try increasing and decreasing the cycles using Ctrl+F12 (increase) and Ctrl+F11 (decrease).

The water movement may also be linked to the cycles but it could also be your character having low swimming skill. Using a spell or item that gives water walking will make moving through water much faster.
That's something i didn't thought about but it makes sense, i remember when i had to configure the cycles, Daggerfall seemed to require high value in order to run smoothly, much higher than nearly every other games i had running through dosbox.
35000 seemed to be a very good value for me, probably depends on everyone's cpu

In case, on my working game here are some of the settings from my Daggerfall conf file that i think should help :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note : as i'm playing windowed , i have to press CTRL+F10 in order for dosbox to "capture" my mouse, apparently only very few games seems to require the ctrl+f10 for the mouse to be "captured" in windowed mode (usually it's automatically done), daggerfall is one of them for me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:11:35 pm by Robsoie »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »

I tried the cycles thing but no amount helped. I still cannot move side to side without holding sprint. Caps/num lock are not the problem, and I have swimming as one of my minor skills at 13% and just could not move in the water. I think this is related to how I don't fall when I have slowfalling on and I think I need this solved. The problem is I don't think there is anyone around who would know enough about the game's code to be able to tell me the problem.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 11:59:56 pm »

As you're mentionning the slowfalling maybe there's a part of that stuck to your saved data despite the spell should have ended long ago. A possible way to check is creating another character quickly and see if you're still have the same movement problem with this new character.

Additionally you can try to ask there :
http://forums.uesp.net/viewforum.php?f=2
If there are some people left that have some knowledge about what's going on with your character moves problem, i think they may be found on that board.

edit : didn't heard about it before, but wow the Daggerfall port to the Unity engine is really impressive :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANNVZfJqk48

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/live-builds/

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:09:20 am by Robsoie »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »

The movement problem existed before I got slowfalled so that's not it. And it's weird because sometimes I can move sideways fine, and sometimes I can't. I haven't been able to find a pattern. I'm temped to just redownload the game and throw away my progress.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 05:25:57 am »

Some bump for greater justice !

As it has been a long time i wanted to give a look into how the Daggerfall Unity project was coming along as development is still ongoing with the latest build being from July.

And it looks like the main quest is completely implemented and so playable to the end , assuming you don't run into a crash.
https://www.dfworkshop.net/

Still amazing to see this large view distance , it really makes the game more impressive.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:31:22 am by Robsoie »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 05:24:52 am »

The long distance screenshots are very impressive. It's neat to see the settlement dotted about the landscape. It'll also be good for seeing the dungeons because some of them have whole castles above ground that you see very little of in the base game.

It'll be interesting to see what mechanics and things they work on that were only partially implemented into Daggerfall. There's so much stuff that didn't get finished or not done at all.

Speaking of which, I was listening to the soundtrack of Daggerfall a few weeks ago and apparently there's at least an hour of unused music in the game. Mostly dungeon and music that supposedly was used during sneaking.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 06:00:31 am »

Maybe those unused dungeons music were related to the many features that were planned but never made it to release unfortunately, as the game plan was much more ambitious than it ended into release.
https://web.archive.org/web/20141225202024/http://www.svatopluk.com/daggerfall/museum/

The very large view distance of that Daggerfall Unity program also show that the world actually looked like something with mountains, valleys , forest etc... instead of the boring nothing without any interesting sights that it was in the original release due to the low view distance.

I had no idea there was a mountain right at some distance of the exit from the starting dungeon by example, was surprised to see it
I even walked between some towns, just to see what the regions looked like, something i would never do when i played the actual game as there was nothing to see with such short view distance, it was all about the fast travel function .

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 07:55:06 am »

Daggerfall Unity reached its first Alpha a week ago :
https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-unity-alpha-release/

The game is completely playable from beginning to one of the ends
So what does the alpha milestone mean? For Daggerfall Unity, this means we are now at broad feature parity with classic Daggerfall. Not only is the game playable from start to end, but all the core gameplay systems from classic are implemented and available. Hitting alpha means that development will shift from adding new gameplay features to refinement and fixing bugs. There are also a few features unique to Daggerfall Unity that I’ve been saving for the alpha cycle. Check out the roadmap to see what’s coming up next.

I noticed this video from a couple of days presenting a few of the mods available for Daggerfall Unity, rather interesting :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoDVN-r_sA

(note : the "enhanced sky" mod sadly does not work right if you have enabled the retro rendering mod 320*200 or 640*400 for performance/more classic look reasons)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 09:03:01 am »

Now I've got a strong urge to play that again with those mods installed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14